How Will RTSH Explain Pyramid Head?

Everything we know so far about Gans second visit to Silent Hill.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

How Will RTSH Explain Pyramid Head?

Post by Droo »

Ignoring Revelation entirely (as this absolutely should) how do you think Gans will explain the presence of Pyramid Head in this film, given that it looks like it's going to be an interpretation of SH2?

If this is going to take place in the same continuity as the first film (we can assume it does since it's the same director), do you think Gans will try to reconcile why PH was attacking Rose and the cultists now that James and Mary appear to be in the new film?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Re: How Will RTSH Explain Pyramid Head?

Post by jdnation »

He doesn't really need to. The movie universe operates on different rules. Pyramid Head is more like a universal divine agent of punishment.

In movie 1, he was punishing folks on Alessa's behalf. Movie 2, more or less the same thing. So probably James uses him to punish himself, or with Alessa gone, he more or less punishes whoever, so he'll probably be after Eddie, Angela and James, and Maria by virtue of James.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Forgive my cynical take but I suspect Gans will miss the point of SH2's story as much as he missed the point of SH1's so... who knows. Both Pyramid Head and Lying Figure appear in the first movie disconnected from James. At this point we'll probably end up dealing with Numb Bodies and Insane Cancer in this one.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I think the whole point of the film is not to exist in the same realm as the previous two—that’s it’s a standalone story.

It’s called ‘Return to Silent Hill’ because James is literally returning to the town. So the red pyramid thing can be exactly what it was intended to be in SILENT HILL 2.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Adversary wrote: 20 Oct 2022 I think the whole point of the film is not to exist in the same realm as the previous two—that’s it’s a standalone story.

It’s called ‘Return to Silent Hill’ because James is literally returning to the town. So the red pyramid thing can be exactly what it was intended to be in SILENT HILL 2.
Won't that just confuse audiences? Granted, Silent Hill Movie 1 was hardly a smash box office phenom, but presumably this film will largely be seen by fans of the series, and fans of the first film. For the latter, some connective tissue between the first and third films will be expected. Especially since I suspect the marketing for this movie will trumpet the return of Gans from the first, much better received, original film. I don't think he will be able to escape audiences connecting this movie to the first.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

It's been too long since Silent Hill was in the spotlight, so I don't think they need to pay attention to continuity. It's not like the average moviegoer will be like "Hey, PH doesn't look exactly the same as he did in 2006!". Most likely, this will be the first Silent Hill film seen by the average moviegoer.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Jonipoon wrote: 20 Oct 2022 It's been too long since Silent Hill was in the spotlight, so I don't think they need to pay attention to continuity. It's not like the average moviegoer will be like "Hey, PH doesn't look exactly the same as he did in 2006!". Most likely, this will be the first Silent Hill film seen by the average moviegoer.
They already ignored continuity after 6 years to make SH Revelation. I just hope they don't try to retcon by having a side character lecture into the camera.
Droo

Post by Droo »

"Congratulations, James! You made it!"
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I just hope they don't try to retcon by having a side character lecture into the camera.<
Wait, is this in Silent Hill: Revelation? I remember watching it a handful of years ago and thinking it was absolute garbage so I've really completely blocked the entire movie out of my memory.

Except for the Pop-Tart scare. That's . . . unforgettable.

And, honestly, the only part I dislike about the original Silent Hill film is the way-too-long exposition sequence with Alessa toward the end of the film. Let the ambiguity speak for itself, please—we don't need the backstory spoon-fed to us. We have teeth, let us chew.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Pop-Tart jump scare is the single greatest moment in horror movie history, if not in all movie history.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

The Adversary wrote: 05 Jan 2023 And, honestly, the only part I dislike about the original Silent Hill film is the way-too-long exposition sequence with Alessa toward the end of the film. Let the ambiguity speak for itself, please—we don't need the backstory spoon-fed to us. We have teeth, let us chew.
That, and every scene with Anna. Otherwise it’s actually pretty decent, easily one of the best video game adaptations.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
samstheman
Just Passing Through

Post by samstheman »

I hope they redeem themselves for revelation. As much as I enjoyed the original silent hill movie, I hated the 2nd one just as much. Just a waste of film.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Droo wrote: 05 Jan 2023 The Pop-Tart jump scare is the single greatest moment in horror movie history, if not in all movie history.
I second this. Shit's in the domain of legend.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

samstheman wrote: 28 Jan 2023 I hope they redeem themselves for revelation. As much as I enjoyed the original silent hill movie, I hated the 2nd one just as much. Just a waste of film.
Well Revelation's creative team was entirely different from the first movie. Return To Silent Hill is being directed and written by Christophe Gans who helmed the first film.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The direction and overall look of the first one was good, but the writing was a bit wobbly in places ("It's going to be okay" said by Rose seconds after being attacked by a swarm of demon bugs and a dude in a pyramid helmet with a gigantic knife.....say what?).

I'm hoping it was Avary or Boukhrief who were responsible for the weaker aspects of the script, because an adaptation of SH2 needs to have a really good script.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

James is being stalked through the tunnel by the red pyramid thing. The tunnel abruptly comes to an end and James is seemingly trapped. The opening reveals a waterfall.

The red pyramid thing stops. James looks back and forth.

James yells, "I DIDN'T KILL MY WIFE!"

He leaps out of the tunnel and into the waterfall.

The red pyramid thing sighs and turns around.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

James Da'Silva is ready to run when word comes that Pyramid Head is arriving on the noon train. He frantically tries to raise a posse of the townsfolk, but they seem oddly unaware that PH is going slaughter them, and they blame all on an unwelcome James.

Deputy Gucci tries to expel him by force but James kicks him out to day world.

James realizes he can only save Laura by taking the shotgun and facing PH in the town square.

#actualscriptidea