Hospital otherworld transition.

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

DouglasDaPerv
Just Passing Through

Hospital otherworld transition.

Post by DouglasDaPerv »

As I think we can all agree, the transition occurs after the "Flesh Lips" boss but one thing that I cant seem to find any interpretation on is the actual transition. As I'm sure you can remember once the boss(es) have been killed, James seems to lie down, and is then transported on a creaky "Bed?" and hears Mary's voice whisper "James........James.......James", then he gets up and wakes up in what I think is a small courtyard although tbh I have no idea whether it's outside or not, i'm led to believe it is though. Anyway you look back at where you have come from and see marks from a "path" where something may have come but the hole or door you have come from has disappeared. <<< for a reminder. On first play I had no idea what was going on, I though James was falling. Anyway what are your views?
(Cynthia lying on the floor covered in blood)
Henry: :| Are you OK?
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Re: Hospital otherworld transition.

Post by Mephisto »

I never understood that part either, and at first was very confused about the whole thing too.
The courtyard is outside, yes. We can see the rain pouring from above the black sky.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

James is reliving Mary's experience as she was transferred from out of the examination room, alone, staring up at the ceiling, being pushed down the hallway, calling out to James.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
DouglasDaPerv
Just Passing Through

Post by DouglasDaPerv »

That's a very interesting interpretation, that makes a lot of sense actually, it is however done very strangely though.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Adversary, sometimes you really scare me...
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

Adversary's idea is definitely my favorite interpretation so far.

That is one of my favorite smaller sequences in the game because the first time I saw it with my Mom playing the game, I had no idea what the hell to think or what was going on (what had happened to the boss fight?). It was one of the creepiest things ever, and so unexpected. Now it makes so much more sense!
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

The transaction happens sooner.

When you read the diary on the roof it is already night.
Moments before it was day.
What's the big deal - Laura
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Sooner than what?

>Adversary, sometimes you really scare me...<
Why?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Actually, I am curious about one thing: Why the courtyard?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It's the garden, not a courtyard. And we all know how much Mary loved flowers. She wasn't allowed outside because of the rain. James, though . . .

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

That part always made little sense to me, and was probably the most confusing Otherworld transition in the whole series. It took me ages to figure out that James was probably being carted off on a stretcher (due to the creakiness you hear)? But then you'd think that he would've got up with a stretcher in the garden. I get that Silent Hill is supposed to be confusing, but even SH1 made more sense than that.
The Adversary wrote:James is reliving Mary's experience as she was transferred from out of the examination room, alone, staring up at the ceiling, being pushed down the hallway, calling out to James.
I do have to echo the others and say this is my favorite interpretation of that, too. Well done.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The Adversary wrote:Sooner than what?

>Adversary, sometimes you really scare me...<
Why?
It's scary how you say a theory and it suddenly has all the sense in the world!!
How much time do you spend studying the damn games? You make me feel that I have zero attention...
DouglasDaPerv
Just Passing Through

Post by DouglasDaPerv »

Silent_Storm wrote:The transaction happens sooner.

When you read the diary on the roof it is already night.
Moments before it was day.

You could say that but after the fight with Flesh Lips you can see the hospital covered in rust and blood etc. it's obvious that the "proper" transition occurs after the fight with the siren etc.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Oh, the transition. It's obvious the transition from the [otherside] to the Otherworld happens after the fight in the examination room, so I'm not sure what Silent_Storm is talking about. Just because it's night doesn't mean it's the Otherworld.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.