Why do I find the Labyrinth so unsettling?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Wallman
Just Passing Through

Re: Why do I find the Labyrinth so unsettling?

Post by Wallman »

I too find the Labyrinth a little unsettling. For me, its really the colors and the architecture. I just find it... off.
It's hot as hell in here...
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I thought it looked like an old high school myself. That's why it was incongruous, after all the nightmare places that came before
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
PyramidMind
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidMind »

For me, this was the scariest part of the game. It was so surreal and strange, and when you had to jump down the holes, it felt like entering different stages of Hell. For every descent, I got more uneasy. And that´s what I really like about Silent Hill 2.

When I start up the game, its not that scary actually. But then, after playing it for 20-30 min, it gets terrifying. It messes up your mind and draws you into this strange place called Silent Hill. I think to some extent what makes this game so damn scary is not so much the game itself, but the gamer. That´s not to say the game isn´t scary, because it is! But you get what I´m saying, hopefully.

Like in the Labyrinth part, you walk around the tight corridors, having a feeling that Pyramid Head is waiting for you, but he doesn´t show up on the radio. That makes it somehow even more scary! Also the music in this game is so full of tension and really makes you feel vulnerable and uneasy as f...! The guy who did the music is a genius, hands down!
"If destiny interferes with reality, one man´s determination
may merely be what is determined by his fate".
Amy Ashton
Just Passing Through

Post by Amy Ashton »

I find it unsettling myself, it feels very claustrophobic, closed up and unnatural. Also Pyramid Head showing up walking around there with his spear adds to the chills, I dread this part of the game because of that lol. It feels like you are half way between earth and hell just how the atmosphere is. Its hard to explain but its amazingly well done. :D
To the left you can see fog. To the right you can see fog and right in front yep you guessed it more fog.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

It's like... ruined building, long stairway downward, flooded underground rooms, dry well, rusty prison complex, morgue full of rotting corpses, elevator descending into what must be the very bowels of the earth, and then... 50's-era high school hallways? A classic WTF moment.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Aethryix
Just Passing Through

Post by Aethryix »

This part of the game never bothered me, honestly. When I first played it as a 13 year old the beginning when you enter Silent Hill was actually the part that made me nervous. By the time I got to the labyrinth I was like "dammit I hope I don't get lost".
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

It's at the bottom of several bottomless pits, far away from the above more real world like settings in the game. You literally have to travel miles into the earth, away from everything that's right and safe and makes sense to get there. It's the point where the mask of sanity has slipped away and you start to realize you're not in Kansas anymore. You're in The Abyss and it's staring right back at you.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

And in addition, the tension level has been getting higher and higher as the environments get darker, dirtier, and more bizarre. Had the labyrinth occured at the start of the game, it wouldn't have been scary at all.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Oddish wrote:And in addition, the tension level has been getting higher and higher as the environments get darker, dirtier, and more bizarre. Had the labyrinth occured at the start of the game, it wouldn't have been scary at all.
That's true.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.