Possible inspiration for the Mary/Maria duality?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

LennethValkyrie
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Possible inspiration for the Mary/Maria duality?

Post by LennethValkyrie »

Forgive me if this sounds too contrived, but I can't help but relate Mary and Maria to Maria and Parody from Metropolis.

Besides being similar in namesake, Mary Sunderland's dress reminds me of what Bridgette Helm wore when she played the role of Maria.

Sure, the style is a bit off, but I think that Mary's clothes look out of place for a game set in a fairly recent time, especially when the stuff James wears seems more modern. The similarity brings me to believe that Mary's design was made with a subtle reference to this other maria in mind.

Also, a major plot point in Metropolis is that Maria is kidnapped and her likeness given to a robot that's sole purpose is to be an over-sexualized version of Maria herself. Just as Maria was constructed from James' wish to have a sexual and more lively Mary.

This false Maria (called Parody) goes off to a local night club to dance and instill lust in men in order to cause chaos. Sorta like what Maria does in heaven's night, or at least is hinted to have done.

And finally, Freder, the main character of Metropolis, falls for Maria in the first minutes of the movie. The movie deals with his search for his divine Maria, who once found, is captured and replaced with the sexual parody leaving Freder in shambles..

I couldn't help but notice these parallels despite the large difference in theme between the two materials. Do you think it's possible that Metropolis played a part in the conception of the Mary and Maria duality? Metropolis is highly regarded worldwide I believe, I would think at least a few members of team silent could have known of it.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's....um...wow, that's pretty evocative.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
LennethValkyrie
Cafe5to2 Waitress

AuraTwilight wrote:That's....um...wow, that's pretty evocative.
That's sarcasm, right?
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I don't think so, because I agree with him and I'm not being sarcastic.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, if I'm being sarcastic, there's no room for doubt. I actually find that strikingly amazing, and doubt it being a coincidence.

If I was sarcastic, I'd of just said "Yea, sure, right."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
LennethValkyrie
Cafe5to2 Waitress

:mrgreen:

Sorry, I'm just a little paranoid. I'm glad you guys think so too. I've always thought this was striking.
"I'm a tramp? Tell me something I don't know."
-Dubbed line of Dynasty's little nymphet, Sammy Jo.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

That's an amazing find!
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

I love the film. I find it an interesting comparison. Thank you for your insight.

I will admit that I always found the Maria character in Metropolis (1927) to be quite attractive.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
LennethValkyrie
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Yes, I always thought Bridgette Helm to be an ethereal beauty. Wish she was more well known outside of this movie.
"I'm a tramp? Tell me something I don't know."
-Dubbed line of Dynasty's little nymphet, Sammy Jo.
christoiwas
Just Passing Through

Post by christoiwas »

Yeah its quite possible!
Also Maria seems to be a direct copy of Christina Aguilera from the 1999 teen choice awards, so why not find inspiration for other characters?

I wonder if James was adapted from someone too? :shock:
--> "... It’s just... I guess I really don’t care if it’s dangerous or not. I’m going to town either way."
Anamaria
Just Passing Through

Post by Anamaria »

christoiwas wrote:Yeah its quite possible!
Also Maria seems to be a direct copy of Christina Aguilera from the 1999 teen choice awards, so why not find inspiration for other characters?

I wonder if James was adapted from someone too? :shock:
When it comes to looks James always reminded me of that one firefighter from Rescue Me...you know, the one. XD

Or even better, Aaron Eckhart.

I doubt either of them were inspirations for the character of James. :P

As, for the Metropolis thing, it seems quite likely.
"I erased god's rules"
St. Thomas wrote: Everyone settle down. Don't make me moderate.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Yet another possible influence.

How many times has this story been retold? I am beginning to think SH2 should be stripped of its "Most Unique Twist in a Video Game" title... it is really just a modern retelling of a fable... I wonder where this original idea of "Mary/Maria" began. :|
Brodie
Just Passing Through

Post by Brodie »

Whoa She look SO.... Cool
Death is not the end my Friend
Mr. Domino
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. Domino »

christoiwas wrote: I wonder if James was adapted from someone too? :shock:
James was based more or less on Jake Singer from Jacob's Ladder. His clothes are almost identical (just as Mary's clothes are near-identical to Maria's), and his mannerisms and reactions to situations are similar.
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!
christoiwas
Just Passing Through

Post by christoiwas »

Mr. Domino wrote: James was based more or less on Jake Singer from Jacob's Ladder. His clothes are almost identical (just as Mary's clothes are near-identical to Maria's), and his mannerisms and reactions to situations are similar.
Hmm,
I watched it last night, (Your post had me wondering).
I guess I can see the references, although Jake Singer was a brunette, wore glasses, a doctor (more or less) and our hero James is about as simple as an 80s cell phone.

Still, similarities none the less.
Did James spend any time in the army?
I know he wore a green army Jacket, but I haven't noticed any soldier like habits or links?
--> "... It’s just... I guess I really don’t care if it’s dangerous or not. I’m going to town either way."
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

A doctor? Jacob Singer may have had a Ph.D, but he wasn't a doctor. Post-Vietnam, he worked in the Post Office . . . as a mail clerk.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
christoiwas
Just Passing Through

Post by christoiwas »

The Adversary wrote:A doctor? Jacob Singer may have had a Ph.D, but he wasn't a doctor. Post-Vietnam, he worked in the Post Office . . . as a mail clerk.
Well he was definitely in academia!
He worked in the Mail office because he "Didn't have to think so much".
His Chiropractor also mentions 'his brain was going to waste' at the mail office.
Like I said, I just watched it this week so Im quite sure!
Noble Kale
Just Passing Through

Post by Noble Kale »

Nice find. I've never seen the movie now I will have too.
This is the year when hope fails you
When the test subjects run the experiments
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Well he was definitely in academia!<
Right. He had a Ph.D. He wasn't a doctor. Having one doesn't instantly make you the other.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
LuciaInFurs
Just Passing Through

Post by LuciaInFurs »

Only... it does. Someone with a PHD is refereed to as Doctor. That would make him Doctor Singer
[color=yellow]The Electric Angels [/color](here be tales)
[url]http://luciainfurs.wordpress.com/[/url]
~*~*~*~*~*~
[color=red]"Don't you know there ain't no devil,
it's just god when he's drunk"[/color]