James a Drunk? (Unmarked Spoiler)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

It probably wasn't a druken rage but I suppose he could have had a few
"The Body Is Cold?"
RealNowhereGirl
Just Passing Through

Post by RealNowhereGirl »

...but one of those "uncle" type psychos. So friendly, yet inwardly tortured. How sad...wait, so how does one get him to talk on SH2?
"Blue sky to forever, the green grass blows in the wind...dancing..."
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

Maybe he was drank a lot after he killed her and he was drunk during the events of silent hill. Or he was drunk in the "in water" ending
I think its obvouis that he was sober during the events of silent hill 2. but I do believe that he visited neelys bar the first time he visited silent hill with mary. hence there was a hole here its gone now. There was hole were he was burying all of his pain. since he is sober it is gone now.
I think it's entirely possible that he'd been drinking before he killed her.
exactly that would explain why is was hung over. 3 hours later he wasnt drunk anymore just sick and hungover.[he would have had to drink qoute a bit to completly forget] that and hes insane.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

James killed Mary, it was only a few days later that he first got the letter, and it was also only a few days since Mary had passed on, not three years ago, like he believes. So if the drinking had started after Mary died, he would only have been getting drunk for a couple of days (not years) which isn't enough to make someone a drunk.
There's no reason to believe that James didn't start drinking "a fair bit" while Mary was sick. In fact there's plenty of reasons to believe that he did. It's early in the game when he mentions he drinks a fair bit, so when he says it was to get rid of the pain they made that vague enough to make you think the pain of Mary's death - but it was more likely the pain of Mary's illness.

As a side note, does anyone know how long Mary was sick for? Being sick for 3 years would be cool because it would say that James considered HIS Mary dead before she actually was.

If that won't drive you to drink, I don't know what will.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Sionnan
Gravedigger

Post by Sionnan »

Er, yeah. Mary's been sick for three years.

Well... gah, it's so hard to be certain. The doctor said she had three years to live, and we all know James thought Mary died three years ago.

But it's pretty much inference that we think she's been sick for three years.

At any rate, I agree with your idea that HIS Mary has been dead for the time she was sick. I always interpreted it like that, anyway.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

who is this person. how do you know this. is a fact.
Read the context clues. I don't want to take the thread off topic, so just search the forum. It's a reference to the fact that other people have been through it. We don't know all the details, but I've heard theories that range everywhere from an anonymous guy to Walter.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>does anyone know how long Mary was sick for?
Three years. They went on their vacation to Silent Hill three years ago. James says so himself when he reaches Lakeview Hotel: "This place hasn't changed at all in three years." This is where & when they made the videotape. And on the videotape, Mary is seen coughing: fulmination.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
der Morgenstern Czigany
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by der Morgenstern Czigany »

Radom Note: Some people say that when you've been drinking, you say the truth.

Back To Topic: He just couldn't bear the pain anymore so....he didn't get drunk, just drank a bit to drown the pain. Maybe he wasn't 100% clear thinking and only could think about stopping her from the pain (stopping his pain too). Cause, you know, he loved her and couldn't watch her suffer anymore. So....yeah, you know what happens next. :wink:
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/Isis-Osiris-Horus/RestlessDreams.jpg[/img]
[size=84]*Feel free to browse: http://www.youtube.com/89Winters .[/size]
Sionnan
Gravedigger

Post by Sionnan »

e_e

It's been thought that maybe James was under the influence when he killed Mary.

Can't say for one or the other. He seems more like a private drinker, to me, at least in that amount. I can't even see him getting that sloshed when in the presence of his wife. Only when he could be assured of being alone...
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

der Morgenstern Czigany wrote:Radom Note: Some people say that when you've been drinking, you say the truth.

Back To Topic: He just couldn't bear the pain anymore so....he didn't get drunk, just drank a bit to drown the pain. Maybe he wasn't 100% clear thinking and only could think about stopping her from the pain (stopping his pain too). Cause, you know, he loved her and couldn't watch her suffer anymore. So....yeah, you know what happens next. :wink:
I don't think you drown pain with alcohol without getting drunk. A fair bit means a good amount, meaning he probably got pretty drunk.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
TheSezza
Just Passing Through

Post by TheSezza »

If anyone wants screenshots of the dialogue, here they are:
1 2 3 4
Nethia^
Just Passing Through

Post by Nethia^ »

I haven't notice that thing :P I should try it sometime ^^
Mister_Creazil
Gravedigger

Post by Mister_Creazil »

Lmao, this is here just to give another insight for us on how the character worked and how he's been living since his wife died. (In his mind, the three years he's been without her would be a challenge for him.)
SethSunderland
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SethSunderland »

The funny thing is, he actually considered taking some of it. I mean, who would drink a liquid of any kind from a god-forsaken place such as silent hill? He didnt seem to want the cans of juice either..
[img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5484/sethsunderlandnewdigjr5.jpg[/img]
Mister_Creazil
Gravedigger

Post by Mister_Creazil »

Well, maybe he didn't care what he drunk. He didn't care about the town being dangerous.
bring more knives
Just Passing Through

Post by bring more knives »

you know he always seemed drunk to me at the end after he finds out the truth and the place is all like, ruined and waterdamaged and everything starts spinning and transporting. and that music and the fact those camera angles swung everywhere. but that probably has no revelence what so ever unless it was to show that he had a drunk side or something.

i'm supposed to be doing online algebra, my explanations right now suck, i aplogize.
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Silent-spc-Hill.png[/img][/url]
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

AgentX7k wrote:It probably wasn't a druken rage but I suppose he could have had a few
Watch the special scene in the video where
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
you actually see him kill her. That's no rage- that's just cold calculation.
As mentioned, you don't have to get drunk to forget, and the reoccurring theme of
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
heavy guilt and being deserving of punishment demonstrates that beautifully (guilt and punishment is, after all, the most common theory of what PH represents...). Guilt, trauma, etc, do cause memory loss, or more correctly, memory blockage. Often in therapy, once the guilt has been dealt with, the memories return.
One can drink to get buzzed and feel good, too. You don't have to get trashed to feel better.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
EileenGalvin
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EileenGalvin »

I wouldn't really say he was a drunk. After all the time when he drank didn't really exist, right? lol
[url=http://www.visitsilenthill.com][img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/vshsignature.gif[/img][/url]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Mary was sick for three years. He drank then.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Darchaen
Just Passing Through

Post by Darchaen »

TheSezza wrote:If anyone wants screenshots of the dialogue, here they are:
1 2 3 4
In none of these screenshots does he say when he started drinking.