How did James get the letter in the first place?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

How did James get the letter in the first place?

Post by evilinthishouse »

I read an earlier post about how the whole story-line to the game was flawed?
This particular poster said something about if James was only supposed to be given the letter by the nurse AFTER Mary died, then this is to imply that at least the nurse knows that Mary's dead (been murdered?), thus, this is how James is to only receive the letter? How does he even get to kill her at this point if this is the case?
"Uh, yeah, here's my wife, she's dead (because I killed her). Ooo, nice, letter. She left me this? Thanks nurse-lady!"
This seems like a huge plot hole to me. Am I missing out here on something? If Laura snatched that letter as well, the first time James even meets Laura is after he enters the main part of town, so how does that work? We know that Laura hasn't met James before because he doesn't know who she is when they first meet (he doesn't even know her name until Eddie tells him at the bowling alley).
Can anybody help with this?
Last edited by evilinthishouse on 05 May 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:o Ok james was a sico he knows she's dead because well...............
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
He killed her
evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

Well, I know that he knows that she's dead. It's just, I put that little dialogue in there to show that he couldn't have just told the nurse that Mary was dead without raising a few questions amongst the hospital staff...thus, he not being able to get the letter from the nurse unless she knew that Mary was dead too.
I guess I just want to know how he got the letter if the only way he could have gotten it was from Nurse Rachel, and only after she knew that Mary was dead.
[img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/DreamaSkylar/GINH.gif[/img]
Xev
Historical Society Historian

Post by Xev »

I believe that he didnt know how he got it. i had heard that the events might not have been the span of years, but days. I think maybe he was in a void of guilt and subconsciously went to silent hill and had the letter all along.
no one would assume he killed her since she was pretty bad anyway.
Bettie Bloodshed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Bettie Bloodshed »

The letter doesnt really exist.
as the game goes on, the writing on it begins to disappear, and eventually the letter will be gone altogether (or at least the writing on it
the letter existed at one time, but now all that left is a manifistation of the 'letter' in james' crazed mind.[/spoiler]
[i]We live like vampires...we love like killers...we all die like infants, and we trust like mirrors.[/i]
[img]http://i1.tinypic.com/1zqslko.jpg[/img]
[i]It's the pain and the sex disguised as innocence....slow suicide. Like it or not, its what we do.[/i]

Thanks Dish01 for my sig and avi.
evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

>the letter existed at one time, but now all that left is a manifistation of the 'letter' in james' crazed mind.[/spoiler]

Wait, so, was this letter "real" at any point, or did James just imagine the entire thing?
Icarus
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Icarus »

The letter is not real, it's just a figmint of James' mind to help make "His" Silent Hill real...St. Thomas will correct me if I'm wrong...But I think that the letter goes away after you watch the "Tape" that you find in the Hotel.

-Ech117
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Please consult this thread.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

LOL. After searching this entire website, I still don't know *how* James receives this letter...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Please re-read the letter: Mary never says she's given it to a nurse.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The letter wasn't real,it is just an illusion
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

For the last time: The letter exists.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

"I told the nurse to give
this to you after I'm gone."?
SilentSteven
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentSteven »

Okay this might have holes in it but this is how I personally think the whole thing played out.

Mary has come home to stay as she has been told that she is going to die shortly. Knowing she doesn't have long she writes James a letter telling hom how she truly feels.
That night James, out of either compassion or spite, kills Mary. Afterwards James finds the letter that Mary wrote him. He reads it and it is the full version that we get to read/hear at the end of the game. James is totally devasted by this letter. In his grief he sweeps her body into his arms, puts her in his car and takes her to Silent Hill because as she says "you promised me you'd take me again some day". When James gets to Silent Hill, with his dead wife with him, the town gets its hooks into him and he totally loses his mind.
From then on the letter only appears in it's 'edited' form that James thinks he got 3 years after his wifes death.

Like I said, I'm sure some people will be able to find holes in this theory but this is my little contribution.

Silent Ste
"They look like monsters to you?....."
evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

This is a really nice theory, SilentSteven.
I like it, puts a new twist on things and even attempts to give me some answers regarding how he receives the letter, finally! :)

Edit: The more that I think about it, the more that I actually like this theory. It seems to make the most sense to me and is now considered the official way on how I figured James received the letter. Thanks so for much for this post, really answered something that had bugged me for a long time. Viva la forum!
Last edited by evilinthishouse on 10 Jun 2006, edited 2 times in total.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

When I die, I've arranged so that you will receive this letter. The Japanese script makes no mention of Mary giving the letter to a nurse.

SilentSteven pretty much said what I've been saying for years--except that I don't necessarily believe they went home: Frank says they never returned from Silent Hill.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
HERO_WORKSHOP
Just Passing Through

OMG

Post by HERO_WORKSHOP »

dude silent steven i support your theory all the way... i just finished the game with this perticular ending and ...well maybe there are some flaws in your theory but i cant see them so it all makes perfect sense to me...and even if it turned out not to be true well ...who cares i mean just ...WOW lol sry for blabbering so much...anyways nice job man!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I doubt the solution is as simple as "The town hooked onto him." If that is the solution, we might as well kill every other meaning for everything else, the monsters could've been there just because the town "hooked onto" him, the same with Eddie and Angela, but not Laura for some reason - perhaps the town's conjurer, Alessa, if I'm not mistaken, has sympathies for someone in her age.

I'd rather not go with the theory that the town hooks on and manipulates, I'd rather say that the town creates manifestations (Certain Entities) from the minds of the people and then they see things differently. James sees the monsters, Eddie sees monsters that laugh at him or something, Angela sees either fire or perhaps burning people and Laura sees nothing. The theory about the town "Hooking on" like some sort of parasite is just too simple and boring to be in such a game since then it's the basic explaination for everything. The Lying Figures could just be patients from the hospital that were "Hooked onto" and ultimately "Infected". Perhaps it's so simple that Silent Hill was overtaken slowly, almost like any zombie flick. People ran away, but those who stayed turned into monsters, it does make sense in a way. The Lying Figures were patients that could get away, the Nurses are basically nurses that stayed because of compassion or didn't have time to run away since they had to take care of the patients. The Mannequinns could just be normal people that didn't make it out, the PHs could've been some kind of political leader, like king and queen, that chose to stay because of pride or something, and they thereby turned into old time executioners that they basically were since they might've ordered the executions before the town was overtaken. I could go how far as I want, just because it's simple, even though it gives a basic explaination to most things, it doesn't really explain everything completely.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Alessa isn't a Silent Hill puppetmaster. She's important and all in that she had special powers and was selected to be a vessel to birth the cult's god, but she didn't come into play at all in the second game.

The thought of a town built on a place of power directly affecting the minds of people who enter it doesn't bore me at all, and the hundreds of pages of theories on this forum certainly don't suggest that the nature of Silent Hill is simple.

As for the zombie/infection angle, that would totally ruin the games for me.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Black Vault wrote:I doubt the solution is as simple as "The town hooked onto him." If that is the solution, we might as well kill every other meaning for everything else, the monsters could've been there just because the town "hooked onto" him, the same with Eddie and Angela, but not Laura for some reason - perhaps the town's conjurer, Alessa, if I'm not mistaken, has sympathies for someone in her age.

I'd rather not go with the theory that the town hooks on and manipulates, I'd rather say that the town creates manifestations (Certain Entities) from the minds of the people and then they see things differently. James sees the monsters, Eddie sees monsters that laugh at him or something, Angela sees either fire or perhaps burning people and Laura sees nothing. The theory about the town "Hooking on" like some sort of parasite is just too simple and boring to be in such a game since then it's the basic explaination for everything. The Lying Figures could just be patients from the hospital that were "Hooked onto" and ultimately "Infected". Perhaps it's so simple that Silent Hill was overtaken slowly, almost like any zombie flick. People ran away, but those who stayed turned into monsters, it does make sense in a way. The Lying Figures were patients that could get away, the Nurses are basically nurses that stayed because of compassion or didn't have time to run away since they had to take care of the patients. The Mannequinns could just be normal people that didn't make it out, the PHs could've been some kind of political leader, like king and queen, that chose to stay because of pride or something, and they thereby turned into old time executioners that they basically were since they might've ordered the executions before the town was overtaken. I could go how far as I want, just because it's simple, even though it gives a basic explaination to most things, it doesn't really explain everything completely.
No. It's not Alessa. She's not the town's conjurer--the town has been there before she was born, and possessed otherwordly properties before then as well. There's evidence in the games, SH2 especially, to suggest this.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.