Covered Mirror

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

adamblue
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Covered Mirror

Post by adamblue »

Hi, I posted this on the old forum, so for those who didn't get to read it here's a neat and very subtle touch to look for in the game.
-
Once you enter room 312 of the Lakeview Hotel (the room where James and Mary stayed) look to James' left. Next to the wardrobe there is a vanity and the mirror on it is covered with a light colored cloth. So what's the deal with a covered mirror? In Jewish tradition when a person dies the mirrors in one's home are covered for several different reasons.
-
Here is what the website http://www.mazornet.com says about the practice....
-
Covering Mirrors

Many lessons are drawn from the well known Jewish custom for mourners to cover their mirrors.

Covered mirrors remind a mourner to look to others for sympathy and not to expect to be a tower of self-reliance and strength. Shiva is a time to look inward at the deepest parts that hurt, when superficial answers and the mirror’s reassurance “you look like you’re holding up well” do not help.
A mirror-free home keeps personal vanity out of sight, a considerate gesture when the deceased can no longer achieve physical beauty.
Each person is created in the image of God. Each loss is diminishes this image, so to speak. Covered mirrors reflect this loss.
On a practical level, covered mirrors act as reminders of the Halacha to refrain from marital relations during Shiva. Putting on just the right shade of lipstick, checking out a shave in the mirror in preparation for an intimate evening is applauded by Judaism, which celebrates physical love between husband and wife – but not during Shiva. Mirrors lose their mitzvah connection during this mourning period, so they are covered.
-
There is also a rather prominent appearance of (another? the same?) covered mirror to the observant viewer that can be viewed in a scene that only plays in the opening movie. We see Laura enter a room (Mary's sick room? Room 312?) and next to her is a vanity with a covered mirror.
Fulfillment of purpose
in Divine Repose
Treated the boundary
and fortified the Whole
-
'Gainst onslaught of arrows
onslaught of arrows
An onslaught of arrows
piercing my soul
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

As soon as I saw this thread, I thought of that old thread and the Jewish tradition.

It's very interesting, and I think that it's quite possibly the reference they were making, personally.
B5160-R

Post by B5160-R »

And what's the first thing James does when arriving to Silent Hill?
Looks at himself through a mirror.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
Neelys Bar
Just Passing Through

Post by Neelys Bar »

True, it definitely points to a change in James, though. It's as if he is accepting his responsibility for Mary's death.

-N.B.
-N.B.

"I'll be wating for you at the Bar Neely's."- Note found in motor home
Figurine
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Figurine »

On an interesting site i was reading about mirrors:-
After a death in the family, mirrors were also covered or turned to the wall to prevent the soul of the newly departed from becoming caught in the mirror, delaying its journey to the afterlife.
Maybe someone in 312 was making up for something that hadn't been done yet before James entered?

And i never thought that the start of the game could be an example of the belief that the soul projects out of the body and into mirrors in the form of reflection.
Taderon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Taderon »

True but also there is a mirror in the room where you get your flashlight on the manequin wearing clothes that resemble Mary's but this mirror isn't covered yet you can't see your reflection either? So here's my theory, when james looks into the mirror in the beginning of the game he is seeing the shell he has created of himself
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
since he lied to himself about killing mary
And as he moves further through the game he finds himself realizing what he did but doesn't want to face himself, or take a look in the mirror and realize the truth

But then again it could just be b/c they didn't want to put that many mirror physics in the game, also point out that it's a vanity mirror and Mary thought she was disgusting b/c she was sick maybe that's looking into the mirror and not seeing what is there but imagining what he wants with the vanity in the manequin room you can see yourself in the mirror in Angela's room, but i believe angela was looking in that mirror for the same reason why James was in the beginning....

Okay, i'm prolly wrong tho so i'm expecting the all knowing St. Thomas to show up and shoot my theory to shit... oh well
[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/UndoingMyOwnRuin/jadempire.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The mirror in the seamstress' room is reversed. I've been saying for years that this entire room is the essence of Mary--everything about it relates to her.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
leodegrance
Just Passing Through

Post by leodegrance »

Souls being caught in a mirror.

Could support the notion that the save points are mirrors.
Jeklinhyd
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jeklinhyd »

My grandma puts black cloth over all the mirrors in her house after a death in the family. I'm not sure why though because she's not jewish. She is mostly mexican mixed with comanche Indian.
"Never accept advice from a man wearing white pants," Michael J. Nelson
in zero
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by in zero »

This is a really interesting theory. Kinda makes you think about death in another light, too :|
Cherry Bomb

Post by Cherry Bomb »

leodegrance wrote:Could support the notion that the save points are mirrors.
But they're red, and non-reflective.

They are windows.
leodegrance
Just Passing Through

Post by leodegrance »

They're red? How does that make them windows more than it does mirrors?

Anyway, I'm not saying that I'm right, but at least I'm not stating my hypothesis as fact.
Hjartu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Hjartu »

leodegrance wrote:They're red? How does that make them windows more than it does mirrors?

Anyway, I'm not saying that I'm right, but at least I'm not stating my hypothesis as fact.
The 9 savepoints put together resembles a window, wouldn't you agree?
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/hjartu/junjisig.jpg[/img]
28/m/nazareth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by 28/m/nazareth »

Taderon wrote:But then again it could just be b/c they didn't want to put that many mirror physics in the game, also point out that it's a vanity mirror and Mary thought she was disgusting b/c she was sick
Well, to back this up, Mary does say in her letter that she feels so ugly and pathetic. I can see why she would cover up a mirror.
Risk Racism: Putting all the yellow pieces on Asia
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I dont know if this is just our weird family, but if theres a storm or something, my grandma covers a mirror because if you look in a mirror in a storm you see the devil. perhaps james's own inner "storm" shows him as the devil? i dont know where im going with this...
but i never noticed the mirror in the seamstresses room, ta.
Monobrow
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monobrow »

Well, to back this up, Mary does say in her letter that she feels so ugly and pathetic. I can see why she would cover up a mirror.
Camera hack screenshots back this up. The covered mirror could symbolize this as well, with a double meaning perhaps.
Covered mirrors remind a mourner to look to others for sympathy and not to expect to be a tower of self-reliance and strength. Shiva is a time to look inward at the deepest parts that hurt, when superficial answers and the mirror’s reassurance “you look like you’re holding up well” do not help.
This is really cool...James definately was not a tower of strength at that point, and neither was Angela, who also had a mirror scene. The thing about Angela is though, she didn't expect any help from anyone, she couldn't trust people any longer, therefore I think the huge mirror in Blue Creek may have symbolized just how caught up in her own reflection (in terms of how lost she was) she was...And she was toying with a knife...

It's a little different with James though. I think when James was looking into that mirror in the beginning of the game, he was covering himself in his delusion. He was trying to "rely" on himself - to keep it together any way he knew how - instead of deal with what he had done. He was creating a false self, full of vanity (portraying himself as the strong and devoted mourning husband), not the deeply troubled man who murdered his wife in selfish desperation a day or two before.

Another stretched tie to this is his creation of Maria...In comparison to Mary, her vanity is way up there, or should I say James', since she is his creation, his delusion, to draw him away from the truth.

Anyway, excellent post adamblue, I really thought this was cool.
No one wins...It's a war of man.
Nurse Babz
My Bestsellers Clerk
Location: Is Florida considered the Dirty South or East Coast?

Post by Nurse Babz »

phenobarbiedoll wrote:I dont know if this is just our weird family, but if theres a storm or something, my grandma covers a mirror because if you look in a mirror in a storm you see the devil. perhaps james's own inner "storm" shows him as the devil? i dont know where im going with this...
but i never noticed the mirror in the seamstresses room, ta.
I've never heard of that before...is that religious or ethnic? I'm curious now...and it's hurricane season...
There was a Dead RN here. It's alive now.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6301/nbxmzw0.jpg[/img][/url]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I Know who PH is now Its Gorge W bush! he is Ph and the maniquens represent the whole world, get it? Ph aka gorge w bush is rapeing the manuqen witch represents the whole world!, get it?

Sorry about that :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dead RN wrote:
I've never heard of that before...is that religious or ethnic? I'm curious now...and it's hurricane season...
like i say, its probably just my family being weird. i dont THINK its religious....i'll ask her next time. we just....do it!
9saves
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by 9saves »

That's a very nice point you brought up (both adamblue and Figurine). It definitely seems to make a lot more sense. Especially, with James looking in the mirror at the beggining.