Question, in SH 2 why do all the endings have mary talking?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Question, in SH 2 why do all the endings have mary talking?

Post by David01 »

Question, in SH2 why do all the endings have Mary talking? I mean are there any real full length endings to SH2.. or are they all just a little scene with Mary talking about seeing SilentHill in her restless dreams?
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
ravern
Gravedigger

Post by ravern »

because the words she is saying are the full lengh letter that james was ment to get. the letter he got at the bginning was to lure him there.

it only stops to a partr to make him think she still alive. when the rest of the letter goes on to say more
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

It's the full length letter.

I suppose one could suggest it's there to give the player closure.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

It's not important. Don't worry about it.
Magdalene

Post by Magdalene »

Well, considering the game revolves around James finding Mary, it makes sense that they would end the game with your quest.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Wasn't the letter in the beginning all made up by James's imagination though? It was just a blank piece of paper? If so, then why was the beginning of the letter read at the end the same as the imagined letter you have?
ravern
Gravedigger

Post by ravern »

Cody wrote:Wasn't the letter in the beginning all made up by James's imagination though? It was just a blank piece of paper? If so, then why was the beginning of the letter read at the end the same as the imagined letter you have?
she did actualy write a letter. it was never sent though. or got lost in the post who knows. the one he recieved was the imaginary one.

but she did write a letter while she was at the hospital
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It's so we can giggle when she says "James, you made me...*sobbing voice* happy", I think.

Cay
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Cayman wrote:It's so we can giggle when she says "James, you made me...*sobbing voice* happy", I think.

Cay
Aww boo! C'mon now that was just mean :lol: .

I guess it was there because the whole thing revolves around him trying to find Mary and see if she is indeed alive. The full length letter just gives us a sense of closure or "its finally over." And to just give us a window into how she felt and what she was thinking before she died. And maybe they were trying to bring a tear or 2 to your eyes.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

> And maybe they were trying to bring a tear or 2 to your eyes.

Obviously that is an impossibility for some people. I guess that
not all were impacted the same upon completion of this incredible game.
The letter fit as it was Mary's last word and request to James. It was
nessisary I thought to better understand where she was coming from.
She was not a crazy raveing looney bitch. She did love James and
she did have a good spirit about her. I thought it perfectly concluded
the story.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ravern wrote:
Cody wrote:Wasn't the letter in the beginning all made up by James's imagination though? It was just a blank piece of paper? If so, then why was the beginning of the letter read at the end the same as the imagined letter you have?
she did actualy write a letter. it was never sent though. or got lost in the post who knows. the one he recieved was the imaginary one.

Ok, but why was James's imaginary letter the same as the one in the beginning (the first part of it)?
Figurine
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Figurine »

Coincidence probably... not to mention Laura had a letter from Mary, and was looking after the one for James but accidently drops it somewhere.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/StrangeEmily/Silent%20Hill/mariasig.gif[/img]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Cody wrote:
ravern wrote:

Ok, but why was James's imaginary letter the same as the one in the beginning (the first part of it)?

Because he did get Mary's letter. Coincidence explaining why the words are EXACTLY the same? That's quite a bit of a stretch of the imagination. James did receive Mary's letter, but along with the bulk of his memories about his wife and her illness they were muddled and mucked up by his suppressed memories and self-imposed amnesia. He blocked out the rest of the letter - or, just as possible, he only read the first page/few lines of it.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Varg6
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Varg6 »

He got the letter, but all he saw were the delusions he put on the paper, and he only saw barely half of the actual letter. The rest was his imagination, when he comes to his senses, the true letter that was written is revealed
Det Som Engang Var...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

He received the letter from Mary, but read the first page over & over, thus committing it to memory. A facsimile of the letter was created, and kept in his pocket, while the real letter remained with his wife.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Oh ok, thanks for clearly that up for me all (just completed the game for the first time a few days ago so I'm still a little unclear on some things).
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Meh, don't worry about it, after playing any SH game you're bound to be thinking "wtf just happened here?" lol. Play through it a few more times, browse the forums some, it'll come to you.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
this incredible machine
Just Passing Through

Post by this incredible machine »

i havnt beeatin it yet,but ive got a pretty good idea of what it all means.
i htink the letter that he got at the begging wasnt an imaginary one.Laura sent it to him,but not the full leter,just to lure him in.because she had snuck into the locker and taken the letters.And she knew all these things about james and mary,and she knew he was a bad man.And she knew he had killed mary.Which is why every time you see her,you have to take the long way around.So that james can learn the truth about him self instead of just finding mary alive in a room,which could never happen because she is already dead.And it wasnt three years before,it was only a little while ago that he had dillebertly ended her agony.Because laura said that she met mary there a year before that day.and james calls her a liar.which is another part of his dilusion though,because he was trying to forget the thing he had done,because he had loved her.and which is why he cant go strieght through to all the places on his mind,with all the barriers in the way,to get past the barriers he has to find out the truth.i read by some one that the barriers are another part of his dilusion,and there blockingthe way just like he blocked parts out of his mind
and once he finds out the truth,depending on how you played the game,you get your ending.but the only reason he is there is because of laura.and thats the only reason laura is there,to make james remember.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

i havnt beeatin it yet,but ive got a pretty good idea of what it all means.
You might want to finish it before you theorise.
evilinthishouse
Just Passing Through

Post by evilinthishouse »

ok, now how could have James have read the real letter before the game if it was in the possesion of Laura? Wasn't the nurse only instructed to give the letter to James AFTER Mary died? If Laura did indeed steal the letter to James, how was James even able to LOOK at it, even know of it's EXISTANCE if he didn't meet Laura until he wandered around central Silent Hill? This makes me believe that this letter is bogus (a figment of James's imagination), and that the end sequence is of James trying to piece together what Mary would have wanted. It just doesn't make any sense the other way around, too many plot holes.