Was Wish House a boys-only orphanage?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Re: Was Wish House a boys-only orphanage?

Post by Burning Man »

I mention Billy because if he did go to Midwich, it would prove the school was not an all-girls school at least. I don't know about the "adolescent" bit, but if Midwich was an average American elementary school, they would have been 7-13 years of age on average. If Billy and Miriam were twins, Billy could have been the twin that was born first. (Side note, Billy would be "William." So, William and Miriam. It's common for parents to name their twin children similarly.)

I went over the SH4 memos the other day and really don't see any mention that girls may have been at Wish House or the Water Prison.
In fact, there are more references to boys occupying the Water Prison:

- I peed in my pants. I gotta wash them so nobody finds out. Oh, I just saw a shadow. I think someone saw me.

- Picking my nose a lot.

- I'm a boy genius, and I figured out the answer to the surveillance room puzzle. It's light and water!

I realize "peeing in [one's] pants" and "picking [one's] nose a lot" is not exclusive to boys..., but those are things that are usually attributed to boys in fiction.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The Victim Profiles say Billy is Miriam's older brother. I don't know where the twins thing comes from.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think the confusion comes from the name of the monster that represents them (Twin Victim). The Silent Hill wiki even has them listed as twins on the monster's page which probably adds to the prevailing belief that they were twins.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I interpret Twin Victim as the children were practically killed simultaneously, disproving the once-common theory that the Ten Hearts Killing Spree occurred as one victim per day. It occurred over the course of 10 days, sure, but they clearly were not killed in consecutive order.

That and they, as victims, were essentially fused together as one monster. Never thought they were actual twins.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

"Silent Hill 4 The Room Official Guide Complete Edition" page 186 refers to them as "twin siblings, Billy/Miriam Locane..."
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Even twins born within seconds of each other sometimes refer to one as being the older brother/sister of the other. Being older than someone could quite literaly mean a few seconds or minutes.

Back to the Midwich thing, I'm still not entirely sure if we can completely debunk it as being an all-girls school by simply taking for granted that Billy went there. In the movie universe, Christophe Gans interpreted SH1's Alessa as attending an all-girls school so the idea is not taken out of the blue. There are also several clues within the game itself that it could be a somewhat religious school with ties to The Order, which parellels The Order's ties to Wish House - Further suggesting that they wanted to separate girls from boys.

Going by confirmed students and orphans, Midwich is all-girls and Wish House is all-boys.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Going by confirmed students and orphans, Midwich is all-girls and Wish House is all-boys.<
The fact the restrooms are specifically labeled as "girls" and "boys" imply that the school hosts females and males, regardless of staff. At least to me.

We also can't exactly use the film as evidence for the game when they're completely separate products. We don't use information in the film as evidence for the game in any other aspect—we shouldn't start here.

And, again, future developers never bothered creating an all-boys elementary school. At some point, one has to exist, because Wish House is not an elementary school, it's an orphanage.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I don't think Silent Hill makes that much sense from a geographical point of view anyway, and the map with its streets and buildings have been expanded upon in each game. There might be other schools we simply don't know about that are not important to the plot. Like, where's the high school for example? (Not counting the SHSM-verse)
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Still doesn’t account for the restrooms being explicitly labeled boys and girls.

I just don’t see any evidence, or reasoning, for Midwich Elementary School to be a strictly girls-only school. It’s just a regular old elementary school. Sure it emphasizes religion, so likely a Christian/Catholic school, but there's not really anything specific to The Order.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.