Sh4 the best in the whole franchise ....Almost

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Sh4 the best in the whole franchise ....Almost

Post by ww_andi »

Now this game was very interesting in the sense that the crew was just trying new things.

Now lets take a look at why i think this game is so damn great.

Walter is one of the most interesting characters in the franchise.
His story is tragic and utterly intriguing. Not to mention the voice actor really sold the part

How Walters little piece of otherworld is doesn't change into nightmare they just kinda blend together. For me this made it interesting because you never felt as if you left the real world yet there were parts that at the least seemed out of place. For me it made the nightmarish qualities less forced upon you.

There quite a few enemies, in which there were cases where you were bombarded and ran for your fucking life. OMG i creep out when the forgot its name baby heads thing points at you before attacking. The ghosts are un killable what is more terrifying then an enemy that you cant kill and follows you through walls. Also walter himself starts chasing you with various weapons pure genius.

Now when your room stops refilling your health you have a sense of OH! nooo.
Then even worse when the one place you can save and hold inventory begins being invaded. Classic

It does have the best atmosphere for scare tactics in my opinion. And every little detail is well crafted.

Now the stuff that makes it not so good

Henry:WTF he is either a robot or Keanu reeves.

The repeating of all the levels. Now i realize this is somewhat prevalent to the story but but drastic changes could have been made to change the experience more when going through the same damn places again.

Now with those cons i think that sh4 was almost the best game in the series nuff said
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

^^ Completely agree, :/ if only I was that crafty when i made my SH4 review. Nice
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

Thank you
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

I love it. SH4 is awesome
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Agree with you 100% the story was fantastic, if not the best of the series! Love the quip about Henry being like Keanu lol.

But yeah, thnis game could have been the best if not for the repetative worlds.
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

I don't really like threads claiming a game to be the best in the series because in the end it's a personal preference and frankly, I can never choose which one is the best.

But I agree with the points made here. SH4 has a good story and, for me, has a lot of replay value. It also stands apart from other installments, but is still connected with it like an umbilical cord. Get it? Hehe... :lol:

I really don't mind the repeating worlds, but it would have been nice if we had more worlds to explore or at least more areas of the same world.
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I don't like when people bash The Room. It's a legitimately good game, and one of the best SH stories. Amen to the Keanu Reeves statement, that's really funny. If they made a movie sequel based on the Room he'd be a perfect fit.. unfortunately. The Matrix is the only movie that worked for good ol' Keanu.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
SilentEyesSilentWords
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentEyesSilentWords »

Dutchman wrote:I don't really like threads claiming a game to be the best in the series because in the end it's a personal preference and frankly, I can never choose which one is the best.
I agree with that much, SH4 was my first Silent Hill game myself and got me sucked into the series, it has great qualities that not only make it terrifying but also puts it on an emotional level in the series. However, the claim that it is "The Best" in the series is far beyond reasoning with, at the least. You honestly cannot argue a Best in the Series when each game has something more provoking and unique then the next (or the last) and so on.

Although Silent Hill 4 makes a good game it is still by far not the best. Each game, each experience, each different quality and so forth make each game great in a sense and fun, yet horrific, to play through again and again.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

SH4 gets way too much shit than it deserves. Even if it was the worst Silent Hill (which it's not), it's still a way above average game.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

AuraTwilight wrote:SH4 gets way too much shit than it deserves. Even if it was the worst Silent Hill (which it's not), it's still a way above average game.
Mucho agreement. I think Homecoming is the worst, but I still give it around 9/10. Go silent hill!
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

I see what you mean with most of the cant say its the best statement, however there are a lot of fans that swear by sh2 being the best of the series and nothing else has ever come close. Don't get me wrong i have liked all of the games and i also feel that each game has its little problems.
Nasta
Just Passing Through

Post by Nasta »

Any game that came after 2 gets bashed on.

Not by everyone--but a lot of people hold every single other game in the series to the same standard. If you play every game expecting the catharsis and plot and sheer EPICNESS of SH2, every fucking game IS going to suck.

I really enjoyed SH4. :D I also didn't bash on it before it even came out and I also didn't expect it to be SH2.
Darklighter
Just Passing Through

Post by Darklighter »

I agree with you ww_andi.

Its a great story, deep and philosofical, no other game have ever keeped me so mush into its story telling like Silent Hill 4 have, the downfall here is for me the gameplay, is verry "jerky", but overall, yeah the game is actually really awsome.
Find your self, in the town that takes ALL...
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

First in response Nasta:

I really didn't think that sh2 was that great i mean it was really good but alot of ppl make it out to be alot more then what it is. Dont get me wrong i loved it lol

Also i love the fact that each game is different it is what makes the franchise stand out amongst other series

Now Darklighter:

I didn't have any prob with the combat or anything like that in 4. If you think about that is just how they are meant to play all of them have been jerky(yes even homecoming) :D
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

I thought the combat was purely too easy after u got the axe. Then the charged up attack pretty much protects u from any other attacks and its a 1 hit wonder.
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

I love the axe lol BEST WEAPON IN THE WHOLE GAME

note: i was disappointed in the chainsaw :roll:
Darklighter
Just Passing Through

Post by Darklighter »

Well ok XD maybe I overdid it when I said that the controls where "jerky", but truth is that I really founded too "Stiff" (maybe the correct word) compared to how I saw it in SH 3, wish i think it has the best control qualitys so far in the series.

And... the axe, lol XD is OP in this game defenetlly!
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

Do you even consider 3 too have the best controls after homecoming cause i really liked the camera in homcoming.

In 3 i had to switch the controls to 2d.

3 is my fav game by the way 8)
Darklighter
Just Passing Through

Post by Darklighter »

homecoming is ok, like I have said before it has good controls specially in the midle of a fight, but it doesent convense me for a "survival horror" genere.

and yeah SH3 is my fav of the frinchise by far, has better controls, story and is terrifying has HELL! :)
SilentEyesSilentWords
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentEyesSilentWords »

I will give SH4 this, Walter Sillivan was an absolutely brilliant character throughout the game and still remains a favorite character of mine to date. Kudos to the killer.