The downward spiral- sheep and babies and stuff, oh my!

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Green Lion
Just Passing Through

Post by Green Lion »

Oh, wow thanks to everyone for inspiration
It made me think that perhaps that could be how Walter views himself, he's doing what he thinks is just, as was taught in the 21 Sacrements to acheive his goal of being reunited with his mother. The kneeling man and woman could represent his parents.

Or perhaps that is the cult's version of a God, a demon under the pretence of an angel leading them on to false hope. Such as Lucifer, a fallen angel leading people to sin.
interesting version, Web_Zombie !
When walter was caught by police he said that there was red devil who made him kill Billy and Miriam Locane. there are several intersting details about this creature:
in the final battle when walter is black and his eye are red - so this may indidcate that this red devil is inside walter
there are no unbroken mirrows in walter's world- maybe walter was afraid to see his reflection
the conjurer's body is half red the other half is white
the conjurer's bodys' black wings are cut like fallen angel who can't fly anymore
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
i believe walter (walter's consciousness) consist of 2 parts: one half is the red devil, inhuman killing machine; the other half is human and this half is afraid of that red devil.
But i more agree with the 2 statement that it's not walter himself in that room but the cult's god and those who carries god within their bodies will be cursed and suffer because their soul will be split. something simular happened to alessa when dahlia conducted the ritual and perhaps Alessa tried to stop herself using the marks of samael when she became whole again
i think walter even tried to get rid of his fears with some surgical procedures which caused some memory issues.
In the era of Constantine the Great, the use of a sheep in religious art depicted Christ as the Holy Victim. Sheep were often depicted with crosses behind their heads or on their backs. The lamb was also used to reference Susanna standing between two wolves, in which she symbolized a faithful layperson who was entirely innocent.

If we take this sheep to mean Christ, we might think to attach it to Walter first since he became immortal like Christ did after he was crucified. It could be a fairly straight forward meaning as simple as Walter views himself as the Holy Victim who has suffered and wants to be reunited with his parent, like Christ returning to God again. Although of course Walter did it out of purely selfish reasons, whereas Christ did it to save people. This reference seems like the most acceptable one, since there are actual artworks depicting the same image as the game and they probably inspired it.
saeda, your theory seems right and there are a lot of Christianity references in the game that can prove your theory.
can you see the angel/demon wit the naked eye though?
yourhappydeath this actually what camera shows in the game the only big problem was with brightness

Other rooms:

Below hospital
Giant doll in the cage

Below Subway
Below forest
Big mannequin which holds bloody baby figures. i think this room is manifestation of Walters' memories about Andrew and wish house times. Toilets are symbols of fear, hooks and chains are symbols of pain
maybe 3 body in frames are signs of 3 sects of the cult
Bloody stretcher - altar for human sacrafice
left part of head is wounded
the same body appeares in SAH near the ceiling when Henry leaves 105 room with umbilical cord
walter's body has wound on the left part of its head
Below prison
below building
this room may be reflection of walters thoghts about the final part of his ritual.
8 eye placards- 8 victims who watch the last sacrafice
stretcher- final sacrafice
door-door between real world and walter's world=door of 302 room that in the worst case will become opened for little walter

mannequin heads which came from far) it's interesting that in SH3 there were headless mannequins.

noticed that background sound on the stairs is the same that was in the apartment world
some rooms in apartment world are hanged on ropes too and sometimes in hallways movements of the rooms can be heard
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Man... All those screenshots are just great!!! Your theories about the weird stuff in the staircase are great!! I especially loved the reference to Alessa's room from SH1... Whare is that graffiti located?
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

This thread is just plain fascinating. Awesome pics too. :)
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Shit, some of these screenshots are creepy. And the game wasn't even that creepy for me! :shock:
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

The devil's in the details, Mephisto. :twisted:
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Fuck! So much detail, creepiness and weirdness, completely obscured, if not completely hidden by fog, light and camera angles.

It’s almost a shame.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It IS a shame. SH4 is clearly the creepiest SH (besides Shattered Memories),and barely anyone'll ever see it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

I wouldn't go that far, for both games you mentioned (matter of taste I suppose).

Still, there are a lot of great details there. It's really like an art gallery. But for some reason, I kind of like that it's so hidden. yes, it makes SH4 underappreciated, but it gives it an eerie charm. It's even creepier now, that I know it's there but I am unable to see it. Even weirder that it's there, in light and plain sight, but wailed by the mist and lighting. Just plain creepy if you ask me.
TleilaxuEyes
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TleilaxuEyes »

Thanks for the screenshots!
I have to ask: why does that one body have hooks/ropes through its nipples? Any ideas?
I'm the kind of kid that can't let anything go
But you wouldn't know a good thing if it came up
And slit your throat.
-"My Heart is the Worst Kind of Weapon" by Fall Out Boy

Thanks for the avatar, ST3wolf!
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

Probably to make you go "Ow", and then cross your arms and rub yourself.

Other than that, could be to do with the whole mother love/hate thing and nourishment which would come from the breasts...

Or something. Just brainstorming.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Green Lion: Thank you for your contributions! I really liked the Alessa symbols--manifestations of Alessa in Walter's world, or small proof of Walter empathizing with Alessa's plight? Nifty.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
yourhappydeath
Just Passing Through

Post by yourhappydeath »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, you can. It's hard, though.
omg an answer thank so much!
love is giving someone the ability to destroy but trusting them enough not too
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

Hm, with the man standing in the middle with angel wings for arms and a man and woman bowing down to him seems to repersent Walter, Henry, and Eileen.
Angel: Walter (There are black feathers on the cross his body sits on)
Man: Henry
Woman: Eileen
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: The downward spiral- sheep and babies and stuff, oh my!

Post by clips »

Incredible images!!....I didn't even realize that some of those images were in those cages...good stuff!!..
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Oh. My. Gosh :) Looking at these pictures make me look back on how wonderful this game is, though the storyline doesn't really stick when you compare it to the other aspects of the game.
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I've never seen most of those before, I'll have to look out for them next time I play.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

As for the bound body with the scissors through the head, is it possible that because of the elongated facial amendment, that perhaps Walter is associating himself with Pyramid Head? It made me think, when you mentioned that Walter's Body (Boss) was wounded on the left side as well.
He DID have to 'execute' the victims. It was murder to us, but to him it was necessary. The crazy bastard.

Yeah, I know it's a stretch. Just felt like adding it while I was thinking it.

Meh. Anyway, thank you for the pictures. They are lovely.

EDIT: After coming back later and rereading this, I noticed it was a bit lazy sounding. I apologize if anyone took offense to the more casual nature of this post.
Last edited by SilentWren on 20 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

It's really frustrating that some of the most important and interesting visuals are so obscured you can't really see them.

As far as I'm concerned, it further shows that SH4 wasn't properly thought out and given enough time in development (and I really love SH4).

Regardless, I love this stuff. It's so damn cool.
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

Oh, yeah, you can see all kinds of crazy things in those stairways. Dancing babies, gigantic sheep... I think I saw a Dunkin' Donuts once.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

What an amazing thread. Cheers for the great pictures and theory's. :D
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane