Is Silent Hill 4 worth it?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

There needed to be more Swords of Obidience. :x

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

^I would have wanted to be able to stick the Sword of Obedience on Walter!

Just to see what happens.

Because I riddled him with Silver Bullets and nothing special happened :x
We are still here...
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

That is a shame. What are the silver bullets actually good for? Besides warewolves of course.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

One-shotting the Victim ghosts from the second half.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

And two...?

H+
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

No no, "one-shotting" as in downing with one shot. :P
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

ShaunOfShadou wrote:No no, "one-shotting" as in downing with one shot. :P
I see. I read about them on the Silent Hill Wiki and was shocked to find that there are only two in the game. Which explains why I only found one.

H+
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I just use the silver bullets for beat the 4 main ghosts (Cynthia, Jasper, Andrew and Richard) and pin them with the swords, in this way they won't bug me in the other worlds... This can be tricky with Andrew and Richard but it's worthy...
The silver bullets just work with the ghost victims so don't waste them with the monsters or Walter...
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

kaiza killa wrote:There needed to be more Swords of Obidience. :x

H+
There are enough for the main ghosts. In fact, you actually end up with one sword left over. Unfortunatly by then there aren't anymore to pin down. =( Unless you mean for ALL the ghosts. If so I totally agree. :wink:
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

>In fact, you actually end up with one sword left over. Unfortunatly by then there aren't anymore to pin down.

Yes there are. Are you forgetting about Garland? Dammit, this guy was the first one that I used the Sword on (happened on my 1st playtrough) :roll:
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

^ The dude I mentioned earlier? I never get to pin his ass down. I always make sure that I get the main ones down first. By the time I get Richard, Steve is around, but I don't have a sword with me until I get to the apartment world then he's gone. =/
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

SH3girl32 wrote:
kaiza killa wrote:There needed to be more Swords of Obidience. :x

H+
There are enough for the main ghosts. In fact, you actually end up with one sword left over. Unfortunatly by then there aren't anymore to pin down. =( Unless you mean for ALL the ghosts. If so I totally agree. :wink:
I wish that I could play through again knowing where every ghosts is now but my copy no longer works. :(

H+
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

It's worth at least a single play through. Not everything works for everyone though.
xanyleon
Just Passing Through

Post by xanyleon »

Ravager wrote:Wow. I just started playing it again. I remember not liking it, but now... The gameplay isn't that bad. The worlds are beautiful, they feel like art. And the story is great. The game is short yes but I wouldn't want it to be longer.
You say that it's short but then I kinda feel abit rubbish now because it too me nearly 12 hours to complete... ha! :)

Silent Hill 3 was very quick for me though :P
I AM THE SANDWICH!!!
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

I've almost completed it, and I have to say this is my favourite Silent Hill yet. The environments are genuinely beautiful, the story is the video-game equivalent of unputdownable, and the atmosphere is more claustrophobic than ever. The gameplay isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, and I have only died once so far. In short, I love this game.

UPDATE-Have just completed, and still hold my view. It can be a little tedious occasionally, and the beauty of the levels starts to wear thin a little when you visit them for the second time, and the ghosts can f**k the f**k off, but it hasn't caused me more trouble than any other Silent Hill game.
Last edited by DirtyNorris on 24 Oct 2009, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
xanyleon
Just Passing Through

SH4

Post by xanyleon »

DirtyNorris wrote:I've almost completed it, and I have to say this is my favourite Silent Hill yet. The environments are genuinely beautiful, the story is the video-game equivalent of unputdownable, and the atmosphere is more claustrophobic than ever. The gameplay isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, and I have only died once so far. In short, I love this game.
I think this game is cool because it kinda slid under the radar compared to the first few and in time I think will become more of a cult classic :)

I think I like the story of this one the most... I also like the story of the second game too.
I AM THE SANDWICH!!!
Sclera
Just Passing Through

Post by Sclera »

Honestly I've found this game to be absolutely and relentlessly annoying. It's like they've taken the formula for a great Silent Hill game, then just added a whole bunch of annoying shit in. Three things would make this game up to at least SH3's standard:

1. Much less ghosts
2. NO wallmen (fuck those fuckers. I do LOVE the sound they make though)
3. bigger/better inventory system. Yeah I absolutely love going back to my apartment because I can't drop this health drink I accidentally picked up.

Definitely worth playing through if you're a Silent Hill fan, but it's no SH2.
Ravager
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Ravager »

Those three things are really terrible yes (although the inventory stuff never bothered me). I'd put "not visiting the worlds twice" on 3. That was kinda lame. And the wallmen made me mad and agressive.
Still, the game is very artistic and has a good story.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Ravager wrote:I'd put "not visiting the worlds twice" on 3. That was kinda lame.
I'd replace that for "Visit each world 2times,but the 2nd time MUST be the Alternate version"
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

KageReneko wrote:
Ravager wrote:I'd put "not visiting the worlds twice" on 3. That was kinda lame.
I'd replace that for "Visit each world 2times,but the 2nd time MUST be the Alternate version"
That, I would probably find tolerable.

H+