How are we feeling about Ascension so far?

???

Moderator: Moderators

leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

How are we feeling about Ascension so far?

Post by leftshoe18 »

I watched the first weekly recap episode this morning and I think it's interesting so far. I wish it didn't switch back and forth between the two different casts so frequently. I'm curious to see how two stories so far apart will come together.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: How are we feeling about Ascension so far?

Post by The Adversary »

I've still only watched the first episode on Halloween, so been looking forward to the recap episode. Might try and watch it tonight.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I'm enjoying it for what it is. It feels like the plot is starting to pick up a bit. Some of the performances are uneven (Orson, you absolutely suck).

I also wish the audience wasn't just choosing between Redemption and Damnation choices. I want to see some Suffering choices win.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

I had higher hopes for it. With very little marketing and vagueness surrounding it before its release, I was expecting something far more experimental. Instead, we got a standard telltale game experience, but worse. I won't go too much into criticism, as there is a bunch of critics currently making some decent ad revenue by shitting on it, and none of my takes are original. Pay to vote, possible rigging, messy live chat where slurs are permitted but the word "scam" isn't, repeating QTE sections, UI so ugly that it looks like it was made as a meme, etc, etc. Also, I really wish that we didn't know where each choice leads. I feel like that takes a lot of fun out of it, as people just vote based on what's Redemption or Damnation, and not on which actions the characters will be taking.
I am interested to see where the stories go, and how they connect. Why is the Norwegian family so hated in their town (I think there was a mass shooting implied, but we'll see)? Why is the most racially diverse cult in the world only now experiencing such hostile otherworld phenomena? These are all good hooks. None of the characters grab me yet, and I blame the format. The wait time of 24 hours between the episodes is objectively short, but it doesn't feel that way when the episodes are barely five minutes long, and the frantic cutting between each protagonist makes it so that they only get a minute or two of screen time per day.
The cinematography is good. The lighting, the environments, and the monster designs are all great, and clearly had a lot of love and care put into them. Admittedly, some of the monster designs are fairly derivative of the old ones, but it's not like the Team Silent wasn't doing the same thing back in the day, and no one complained. Overall, I like their look, and the original designs aren't lacking in any way. Hope we'll be seeing more of them.
Malzarre
Just Passing Through

Post by Malzarre »

So far I find it to be meh. Not sure how to describe it, but I don't think the format is doing it any favors. Each cinematic episode is around 6 minutes, with around 2 minutes for each segment.

After about 13 - 14 days of episodes at the time of this reply, I think we have more questions than answers. Which is typical for any Silent Hill game, and even the movies. So I can't really fault SHA for that.

What I will fault it for, mainly with the PA section, is I feel like we're supposed to care about these characters, but right now I can't. Nothing of value is ever explained. We don't know why Rachel joined The Foundation, or why Toby's sister Joy joined as well. Right now we don't even know what Joy's true personality was like.

What I do know is that the leader, Xander, seems to follow the teachings of a man named Radcliffe who seemed to worship a being known as the Purifier. Xander believes Rachel is special while one of the characters has doubts.

There's also something about the Blight, and Toby did something but no idea what it is.

At least the segment in Norway is a tad better. I actually care about this cast, and want to know why the town hates the Johanesons so much. Do they have a legit reason, or is this more of a generational thing?
Droo

Post by Droo »

I think it's implied Joy had substance issues like Toby and Rachel coaxed her into the ritual as a way to help her with that.

So far I feel for Toby (sad drunk who has lost his sister) and Eric (clearly completely browbeaten by Rachel who seems.to value her faith over her relationship with him).
Lives in the mirror"
Malzarre
Just Passing Through

Post by Malzarre »

Just watched the new episode, and you're right. Another character mentions how the Foundation got Joy clean

One of the earlier episodes mentions something that Toby did, so it'll be interesting to see what that is
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Watched the second episode, and I wonder what exactly happened with Toby and the mill. When I heard the words "the mill" it made me instantly jump to Twin Peaks. lol

The second episode was much more engaging than the first as it actually did some stuff with the plot.

I feel like the otherworld sections are so disjointed. Are those where the "endure" parts would be inserted if I were watching this live?
Malzarre
Just Passing Through

Post by Malzarre »

The otherworld sections are probably disjointed because they're not meant to be canon. Apparently the only purpose they serve is that if a character fails to endure enough times, they may be killed off for real in the main story

I've been keeping up with the story via watching the clips on YouTube. While I still find it "meh", especially The Foundation storyline, I think it is starting to pick up. Also in my opinion it's not as horrible as the Silent Hill subreddit is making it out to be
Droo

Post by Droo »

They're not showing the Endure portions on the weekly episodes are they???
Lives in the mirror"
Malzarre
Just Passing Through

Post by Malzarre »

To be honest I don't know? There's someone on youtube that posts the cinema from each episode every night, and that's what I've been watching
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Droo wrote: 20 Nov 2023 They're not showing the Endure portions on the weekly episodes are they???
Nope. Which means I never get to see/participate. It's so annoying...
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Vixx wrote: 20 Nov 2023 Nope. Which means I never get to see/participate. It's so annoying...
I haven't checked in over a week, so take it with a grain of salt: But there were very few endure scenarios while I was actively watching. Like two or three. So besides the cool monsters and environments, you're not missing much. Endure sections just repeat those same exact locations, events, animations, etc., while switching up protagonists. If you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all.
Then again, that was a week ago. Maybe they added some new ones.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Missing the Endure portions is not problematic in terms of whether you're missing anything eventful, but that they're a great way to earn larger amounts of IP. People like Vixx who are time zoned out of regular participation in them lose out on thousands of IP they could be earning daily. That's where the annoyance comes from.

There really should be staggered Endure scenes at various times throughout the day so people in other time zones can more readily participate.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Or just having the option to play the ones you missed at any time.
Malzarre
Just Passing Through

Post by Malzarre »

@Droo - Okay, that makes sense

Looks like things are really starting to pick up, especially in Hope's Junction.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I'm REALLY surprised the story has ramped up to the level it has since last night's episode. The stakes have suddenly gotten super high it seems.
Lives in the mirror"
Malzarre
Just Passing Through

Post by Malzarre »

Over on the SH subreddit someone made a post about Toby. Once you get past a certain section of replies, someone brought up a good point

With Toby's hope nearly depleted, there's a chance he's going to die regardless of what decision is made

(The three decisions being A. He sacrifices himself B. Flees town or C. Turns it against Rachel)
Droo

Post by Droo »

Of course they kill him off even though the Redemption choice won.

Toby was in too many early Endure portions when people hadn't figured it out yet and failed, and then gave him a bunch of Tile puzzles tied to his Hope rating. It's like Genvid was trying to kill him off.

Why can't Rachel have been killed off instead?
Lives in the mirror"
Malzarre
Just Passing Through

Post by Malzarre »

Why can't Rachel have been killed off instead?
Because she's special

Seriously wondering if they're ever going to explain why she's supposed to be blessed. So far all we know is that she can see things