Mary's Connection to Stilledalen?

???

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Mary's Connection to Stilledalen?

Post by Droo »

So many of us noticed the similarities between Karl's wife's condition (apologies her name escapes me at the moment) and Mary's presentation of illness.

Given the clear thematic links already being developed between Karl and his wife and James/Mary, I am wondering if Mary Shepherd-Sunderland is going to play a role in this storyline, even tangentially.

We know the town of Stilledalen translates to Silent Valley. We also know the Order is going to play a role through Rachel, Xavier and their ilk.

Since the developers of Ascension are on record as saying this project is supposed to draw in newcomers to the series with no prior familiarity to the franchise, it makes sense that this first project will tie into SH2R, Townfall and f.

I can see there being a connection between Mary, Karl's wife, Stilledalen, and Shepherd's Glen, as many have long suspected Mary was connected to the events of Homecoming given her maiden name. Doing so would give a direct link to the SH2 remake to those who don't already know SH2 or have a connection to Mary and her story. It would be a pretty clever marketing move for the revival.

What are your thoughts? Are Karl's wife and Mary connected? If so, how do you think they are? What is the connection between Stilledalen and Shepherd's Glen/Silent Hill?

Yay we have new things to theorize over for the first time in over a decade and I'm very excited!
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
LittleNightma
Just Passing Through

Re: Mary's Connection to Stilledalen?

Post by LittleNightma »

I don’t think Mary and Karl’s wife are directly related. The scene with her in bed seemed more of a nod to James and Mary’s relationship during her sickness which we all know was an extremely rocky one. But it’s still early in the story so we’ll have to see.
"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never take on such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." - George Orwell
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I just know there were people in the chat telling Karl to pull a James and get the pillow when she was going off on him.

(ok me, it was me I'm people)
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Droo

Post by Droo »

I don't think they're biologically related necessarily but have some common thread that connects them. At the very least the same disease.
Lives in the mirror"
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Droo wrote: 01 Nov 2023 We also know the Order is going to play a role through Rachel, Xavier and their ilk.
Is it the Order? I thought it seemed to be a different cult called the Foundation. Nothing about the Foundation so far seemed the same to me, although I'll admit to being pretty confused throughout the episode and not following it too well. I felt like a lot was thrown at me too fast.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I look at it as a different sect, the way Dahlia's group didn't necessarily have the same beliefs and goals as the Wish House group, or Shepherd's Glen. This cult is definitely connected to the one we know from the games though.
Lives in the mirror"
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

The idea of it being a different sect did occur to me. I just wasn't aware of any connection and thought the Foundation sounded kind of like a name for a replacement for the Order as opposed to sounding like another sect like the Sect of the Holy Woman, the Sect of Valtiel, etc.
Droo

Post by Droo »

A replacement? I'm not so sure. Pre-release articles about Ascension seemed to indicate that this takes place before the games, although that is somewhat undone by one character using what appeared to be a smartphone in one of the scenes so far.
Lives in the mirror"
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I didn't mean a literal replacement for the Order in the same canon. I just meant Ascension's version of the Order. I mean, I know they made it sound like Ascension was going to be canon with the main series, but so far, I don't really see direct connections. Maybe all the "shape SH canon forever" just meant shape the canon of Ascension?
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I personally feel everything after Homecoming is set in a new continuity since they don't even try to use the Order concepts that we had in the original 4 games; only the typical SH2 references and other random names just to pretend that they give a shit about 1, 3 and 4. every new developer just try to make new "edgy" versions of the Order and I feel the same in Ascension; the concept of religion manipulation is interesting and I already want to see how the stories of Astrid and Rachel will meet, but I don't think this series is happening in the same universe of the original games
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Finally watched the first "weekly episode" this morning.

I'm gonna echo what's already been said regarding the cult. I think The Foundation is an offshoot of The Order that left Silent Hill, similar to the sect in Homecoming. I don't think Mary and Ingrid (that's her name, right?) are connected beyond possibly having the same illness.