Some new details on Return to Silent Hill

Everything we know so far about Gans second visit to Silent Hill.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Enslin
Just Passing Through

Some new details on Return to Silent Hill

Post by Mike Enslin »

Creddit goes to this Reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/silenthill/com ... return_to/
"Return to Silent Hill"
Driven by the shadows of his past, James Sunderland returns to Silent Hill to find his lost love, Mary Crane. But the dark, depressing small town is no longer the place from his memories. He meets characters who seem all too familiar and who try to divert him from his search for Mary. The longer he searches for Mary, the more he begins to wonder if this is still reality - or if he has fallen into the dark underworld of Jacob Crane. Jeremy Irvine is set to star in Return to Silent Hill.

The new adaptation of the cult video game Silent Hill is directed from his own screenplay by Christophe Gans, a graduate of the Institut des Hautes Études Cinématographiques (IDHEC). He built his reputation with the film adaptation of Kazuo Koike's hit manga "Crying Freeman" and with the international box office success "Brotherhood of the Wolf". His first film adaptation of "Silent Hill" (2006) became number 1 in the American box office and grossed over 100 million dollars worldwide. He filmed " Beauty and the Beast " for Pathé. "Return to Silent Hill" will be photographed by Benoit Debie , Felicity Abbott is responsible for production design and Sébastian Prangère for editing.

The project is a German-British-Serbian co-production between Munich-based Maze Pictures with Metropolitan and Davis Films from Paris, The Electric Shadow Company and Lotus Wallace based in London; Producers are Philipp Kreuzer and Joe Neurauter together with Molly Hassel, Victor Hadida , John Jencks , Jay Taylor and Alexa Seligman. Leonine Distribution took over the distribution for Germany and Metropolitan for France. World distribution is in the hands of The Veterans, which presented "Return to Silent Hill" at the American Film Market and sold it internationally.

Half of the shooting will take place in Munich, Penzing, Nuremberg, Rossberg and around Lake Ammer. The FFF Bayern supports the project in the international cinema films and series/co-productions program with 1 million euros.
I'm totally open to Gans putting a fresh twist on the story, but without extra context I am scratching my head over Mary being Mary Crane, not Mary Sunderland. Possibly a Psycho reference? But who is Jacob Crane? Is it a relative? Split personality of James? Hard to say.

Based on the Konami showcase interview with Gans, his version of SH2 is based on Orpheus. A man whose love dies, and he tries to retrieve her soul from the underworld. So I could see this versions of Silent Hill 2 being geared around that. Based on the concept art, you still have the Mary/Maria thing, you still have Eddie, you still have Pyramid Head. But it sounds like the context is more in line with Shattered Memories (which had a boat called the Orpheus) where James is being (or he thinks he's being) sidetracked by these forces to keep him from Mary, and possibly keep him from remembering what he did.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Some new details on Return to Silent Hill

Post by leftshoe18 »

What if James is to Jacob what Maria was to Mary in the original game? Jacob and Mary both having the same last name could be a hint at them being the married couple instead with James being a creation of the town.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Mary Crane is clearly a reference to Marion Crane from Psycho.

Jacob could be a reference to Jacob's Ladder.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I’m the original script for SILENT HILL 2, James had his own Maria-like self, Joseph Barkin, who is referenced in Brookhaven Hospital as one of three patients.

Jacob Crane may very well be a nod to that initial concept.

Or he’s her brother and knows what James did.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Seems machine translated, as some stuff is awkwardly worded. Particularly how the synopsis suddenly name drops Jacob Crane.

Could be the case that James is Jacob, much like Maria is Mary. Two lost souls created by the town trying to resolve things without a complete memory of their past. Both already dead and in a car at the bottom of the lake. So this might literally be a ghost story.

I can dig it. Hope there will be a 3-D version.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Not sure about that location. The first film's 'atmosphere' grew out how it was properly made in Canada.