Should Monster Cadaver Stick Around?

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Should Monster Cadaver Stick Around?

Post by Burning Man »

Earlier Silent Hill games had enemies kind of just flatten out after being killed, usually with a stomp (or four if you're Heather). Just a piece of monster texture was left behind. When you came back to that area, the texture is usually still there. This made me a bit uneasy, especially in Silent Hill 2, because I could never be certain if the monster was just playing dead. Those damn lying figures. A small but neat detail is the bloody footsteps if you happen to step over the cadaver.

I think it was DooM 3 that I first saw enemies dissipate into nothingness. Story-wise, I guess the enemies are being sent back to Hell? But in Silent Hill games, it didn't quite work for me. There's a sense of timeliness when you come back to an area you were before and see the things that you did before.

From a technical perspective, removing the monsters after death frees the engine from having to keep track of those dead polygons, which is quite expensive even with modern hardware. Games based on the Unreal engine uses this mechanism, so naturally, Silent Hill Downpour has enemies dissipate like that after being defeated.

Unless I heard wrong, I believe Silent Hill 2 Remake is developed using the Unreal Engine...? It's a minor detail so maybe it doesn't matter for most folks.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Should Monster Cadaver Stick Around?

Post by leftshoe18 »

> Games based on the Unreal engine uses this mechanism, so naturally, Silent Hill Downpour has enemies dissipate like that after being defeated.

The engine the game is developed in has no bearing on whether enemies are going to disappear or not. That is entirely up to the dev how they want to implement that.
MrMeow
Just Passing Through

Post by MrMeow »

This would all be figured out during a cost benefit analysis when the project was first being planned out. It wouldn't be practical for non linear level design, where you can backtrack, to have models exist after death. So the texture thing you mention may be an option but most modern games just have the body disappear. I think Silent Hill 3 has issues with this exact system, specifically related to the insane cancer which visibly deflates after death.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I'm okay with bodies disappearing after you leave a room/area. Though I think it'd be cool to leave a bloodstain behind. Or maintaining area damage you've created. The latter for persistence, the former for a WTF? feeling, and psychologically, because the continual presense of monster corpses littering the place will eventually devolve into parody and therefore hinder the perception of them as a credible threat.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

I guess if I were to think about this more seriously, corpses in general were used to supplement the theme of death and James' own mindset in the game. I think it would add some depth to keep the monster corpses around after they die. We can even say that the persistence of the monster corpse is a reminder for James on what he has done.

If these monster corpses dissipated after a few seconds, certain scenes may lose its original impact. We can take the "Blue Velvet room" where Pyramid Head kills the Mannequins as an example. In the original, you can observe the Mannequins after the scene. They lie there dead, broken and discarded. You're given as much time as you need to digest what just happened here. Would the player remain as shocked if the Mannequins disappeared after a few seconds...?
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
MrMeow
Just Passing Through

Post by MrMeow »

For sure, it’s a balancing act and sometimes limitations plus the creative workarounds they manifest can help strengthen a game’s narrative.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Burning Man wrote: 12 Apr 2024 Would the player remain as shocked if the Mannequins disappeared after a few seconds...?
They could easily just have the monsters that die in the cutscenes stay there.
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

I just hope they don't ragdoll after they die. Now that would really kill the immersion.

Perhaps enemy corpses could stay until the player leaves the area after which they disappear.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
Droo

Post by Droo »

aj4x94 wrote: 21 Apr 2024 I just hope they don't ragdoll after they die. Now that would really kill the immersion.

Perhaps enemy corpses could stay until the player leaves the area after which they disappear.
I think they will but not in an exaggerated, Max Payne-ish way.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Pardon my old-ness, but what is ragdolling?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The Adversary wrote: 21 Apr 2024 Pardon my old-ness, but what is ragdolling?
Basically the corpse becomes a physically interactive object whose entirety or arms and legs will move or flop around if you bump into it by walking over/near it, kinda becoming like a football.