Silent Hill 2 - Combat Reveal Trailer

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Re: Silent Hill 2 - Combat Reveal Trailer

Post by Droo »

Maybe it's sticky?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

Droo wrote: 06 Feb 2024Maybe it's sticky?
Press X to reach inside Lying Figure"
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Klimat wrote: 06 Feb 2024
Skele wrote: 06 Feb 2024He's not being held by the lying figure, James is trying to push the enemy away from him. It's essentially forcing itself on him, but it isn't grabbing or holding him.
It is indeed what is happening, but it still looks weird. If an armless figure is trying to force itself on you, you only need to take a step back/to the side to deal with it. There is absolutely no reason to wrestle.
No it's not. Go back and look again. It can't grab you as it doesn't have arms to begin with. James is pushing it away as it's aggressively moving towards you in order to spit out it's fluid. It's no different than someone aggressively getting in your face to fight, even as you keep moving away. The reason he's wrestling is because we're probably forced to melee hit them at this point, which means you have to get in close. Also, you shouldn't allow yourself to get sprayed by one in the original either, but it happens, lol.
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Skele wrote: 07 Feb 2024No it's not. Go back and look again. It can't grab you as it doesn't have arms to begin with. James is pushing it away as it's aggressively moving itself towards you in order to spit out it's fluid. It's no different than someone aggressively getting in your face to fight, even as you keep moving away. The reason he's wrestling is because we're probably forced to melee hit them at this point, which means you have to get in close. Also, you shouldn't allow yourself to get sprayed by one in the original either, but it happens, lol.
I was agreeing with you Lying Figure was not grabbing James and didn't have arms.
Wrestling makes no sense though, Lying Figure has no arms, while standing it can only attack by spitting acid, you can stop fists by wrestling, but you can't stop acid like that. By holding onto a Lying Figure James only makes its job easier.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Klimat wrote: 07 Feb 2024
Skele wrote: 07 Feb 2024No it's not. Go back and look again. It can't grab you as it doesn't have arms to begin with. James is pushing it away as it's aggressively moving itself towards you in order to spit out it's fluid. It's no different than someone aggressively getting in your face to fight, even as you keep moving away. The reason he's wrestling is because we're probably forced to melee hit them at this point, which means you have to get in close. Also, you shouldn't allow yourself to get sprayed by one in the original either, but it happens, lol.
I was agreeing with you Lying Figure was not grabbing James and didn't have arms.
Wrestling makes no sense though, Lying Figure has no arms, while standing it can only attack by spitting acid, you can stop fists by wrestling, but you can't stop acid like that. By holding onto a Lying Figure James only makes its job easier.
LOL ohhh ok, I got confused! I re-read it and you're right, it doesn't make sense, but I guess they're making the enemies more aggressive? I remember they would get close and then stop to spray, but maybe now they just keep coming forward to get you? *shrugs*
Tuniko
Just Passing Through

Post by Tuniko »

Chris Sunderland wrote: 05 Feb 2024 The small clip looks like a newer build of the game than the trailer. Rumor is we got a trailer that was supposed to come out around the time Ascensions trailer. They really are mailing the look and feel of Silent Hill 2. The environments are just perfect, Bloober really can make a gorgeous game.
Are you serious??

This trailer made me sad as fuc*….
There is no way that this game, at least by what we saw from gameplay, will be at least near as creepy than the original.

Look at the fog, the details on the original environment… a game from 2000’s, the graphics, every place looks dirty, everything looks creepy. But the remake looks… clean? Lol

They are trying to do a Remake like the resident evil one, with lower budget. They just forget that this is a Silent Hill game, and not a RE.

Sad times for us, again. A Masterpiece, one of the best games of all time, being remade, and we get this.

Well. I hope I’m wrong and the final version surprises me, but…
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I think people are forgetting this isn't 2001 anymore and games don't look the same. SILENT HILL 2: REMAKE, objectively, looks great. Not sure how that's even a conversation at this point.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Chris Sunderland

Tuniko wrote: 10 Feb 2024
Chris Sunderland wrote: 05 Feb 2024 The small clip looks like a newer build of the game than the trailer. Rumor is we got a trailer that was supposed to come out around the time Ascensions trailer. They really are mailing the look and feel of Silent Hill 2. The environments are just perfect, Bloober really can make a gorgeous game.
Are you serious??

This trailer made me sad as fuc*….
There is no way that this game, at least by what we saw from gameplay, will be at least near as creepy than the original.

Look at the fog, the details on the original environment… a game from 2000’s, the graphics, every place looks dirty, everything looks creepy. But the remake looks… clean? Lol

They are trying to do a Remake like the resident evil one, with lower budget. They just forget that this is a Silent Hill game, and not a RE.

Sad times for us, again. A Masterpiece, one of the best games of all time, being remade, and we get this.

Well. I hope I’m wrong and the final version surprises me, but…
A) I'm allowed to have an opinion different from yours

B) The environments look great to me. I'd there is one thing I'm sure Bloober will Nail is the look of everything.Im not seeing where it looks too clean(lol)It looks like Silent Hill 2 with all the bells and whistles of 22 years in advancement in video game technology. I don't know what you mean about the fog? It looks like fog?? I feel that some people just want the game to look like a 2001 game in 4k, which they should port the old games for sure. I'm not sure what you want here? The environments look like more detailed versions of Silent Hill 2 environments. The opening to the game and outside of Woodside in particular really sell me on the art team at Bloobers competence at least.

C) Your entitled to your opinion about thinking it looking like Resident Evil in gameplay...but Silent Hill jas always...had a similar look and play to Resident Evil. It was very standard puzzle/combat/exploration, there is even a video of the creator of SH talking to the creator of RE where he mentions taking a lot of gameplay ideas from RE.
I love the old games, I've been talking about them on this site for 20 plus years, but I don't see anything that's antithetical to Silent Hill 2. James still looks like a dorky clerk fighting his worst nightmares. Not adding a redicule to the aiming was a good touch to keep it tense. We also don't know how available bullets are going to be nor how difficult monsters will be to combat. All we have is a trailer designed to show off how the combat looks. Unsurprising it has a lot of combat. People were nagging them to show the combat, they showed it.

C) Sad times? C'mon man. That's some doom and gloom reddit bullshit. We don't know how this is gonna turn out. The devs seem passionate and a lot of us think it it looks great, even with it's flaws. Silent Hill 2 is a flawed masterpiece. It is not a perfect game. None of the Silent Hills are, but the series is finally getting revived with 2 new entries(a 3rd short game was just released for FREE) and a large budget remake. Konami hasn't did fuck all with any of their franchises since MGSV and mobile games/Fifa. Before that it was low budget games of varying quality. They just started hiring for a internal production development team on top of everything. This is probably the best case scenario for the series aside from getting more personal from Team Silent.

[/quote]
The Adversary wrote: 10 Feb 2024 I think people are forgetting this isn't 2001 anymore and games don't look the same. SILENT HILL 2: REMAKE, objectively, looks great. Not sure how that's even a conversation at this point.
The sad part is Adversary is there probably isn't anything they can do to win anyone over who is hating. The problem is people want perfection that even 2001 Team Silent couldn't deliver. They look back with nostalgia glasses so blinding that in their eyes that any remake by any team could not accomplish what they expect. A lot of it is Konami's fault for being..absent for 10 years. Even if the game is great we will see the negative yt/reddit discourse continue despite reviewing well, you'll see 7 hour deconstruction videos arguing that James hair is parted too much to the left and the wooden stick is missing the same amount of nails so the game is trash and causes cancer. Then maybe 5:years after that after Konami has finally given up on the series you'll start seeing those "maybe SH2R wasn't as bad as 'WE' thought" discourse. It's predictable like a hive mind. Sorta like Tlou2s backlash which still confuses me to this day.

Of course the game could be pretty atmospheric trash at the end of the day. Most likely it will be a competent remake that loses some things in the modernization but a good way to enjoy Silent Hill 2. Good luck ethier way, I'd hate to be the ones doing it lol.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I don't know if it's hating. I think it's more likely a case of people not understanding why the original had that gritty look/feel. I think a heavy noise filter option for the remake can help achieve that feel, but I agree with others that think the game looks impressive graphically.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Just a gentle reminder that disagreements are fine, just do it politely, please.

Also: the remake doesn't mean the original stops existing.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Chris Sunderland

Your always going to lose something in the translation to modern graphics/gameplay. Things like camera angles changing to a more contemporary behind the back approach, free aiming, even voice acting. It all changes bits from the original experience. I think in order to "get it right" you have to fill that void in with something that works as well. Look at RE2 or RE4 and especially the Dead Space remake. They managed to capture the "feeling" of the original games but evolve it as well. It is a different experience overall. Even the closest remakes like Dead Space or Demons Souls aren't 1:1, and nothing should or could replace them.
Hopefully Bloober can translate the experience, I think at least in regards to the environments and atmosphere they've done really well and that's a huge part of all the Team Silent games.