Silent Hill 2 - Combat Reveal Trailer

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Silent Hill 2 - Combat Reveal Trailer

Post by Klimat »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKICAIUHkA
It was just revealed at State of Play. Still no release date.
Locations and monsters all look good and easily recognisable, now we know combat is definitely in the game with both melee and firearms.
Still even though it is a combat trailer, I wish there were more cutscenes shown between fights, also that is not critical.
The only real complain I have is mash X to escape a grab mechanics, I don't think those belong into Silent Hill 2. Otherwise I like what I see.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Silent Hill 2 - Combat Reveal Trailer

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think the melee combat looks decent enough. Gunplay looks incredibly weak. Overall, combat looks like a huge improvement over the original game.
Droo

Post by Droo »

You can't really show too many cutscenes from SH2 without spoiling the plot.

I'm still shocked at how much is revealed in the "trailer" that plays on the SH2 title screen if you let it sit a while. Basically Eddie's entire plot is given away.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Droo wrote: 01 Feb 2024 You can't really show too many cutscenes from SH2 without spoiling the plot.
Most of the old trailers for the original game had no problem showing a lot though.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I feel like the general view of what a trailer “should” show has also changed dramatically in the last couple of decades. People are much more concerned with spoilers in their entertainment media today than they were when I was growing up in the 90s and 2000s.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I don't think it was a good trailer. It answered questions for sure, but it wasn't something that made me more excited for the game. I'm just hoping the issues with the animation and combat gameplay are improved before launch.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

leftshoe18 wrote: 01 Feb 2024 I think the melee combat looks decent enough. Gunplay looks incredibly weak. Overall, combat looks like a huge improvement over the original game.
Gunplay was pretty hokey in the original, too, though, so I wouldn't necessarily hold that against it, y'know?

Combat was always problematic in the early games – it's perhaps, ironically, one of few places where the later games were better than their predecessors – but I would think there's been instruction from above to try and make the remake as accessible to casual gamers as possible, esp. in light of Ascension (lots of fans may not like it, but it looks like it's getting numbers). And accessible = QTEs (for reasons I have never really understood!)

James' endlessly changing hair / hair colour / face / age is irking me, but otherwise, I think the atmosphere and environmental stuff is spot on. Am super excited to see more!
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Oh yeah the gunplay doesn't appear any worse than OG SH2.
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

Combat looked...fine...I agree it looked a bit stiff and the sound could be better, but it's a work in progress and can be remedied. I rather liked lack of aiming dots. Make aiming hard I say, James is a dude and fighting monsters should be a challenge. What I did like was the look and atmosphere of everything as in it looks like Silent Hill 2 created for modern hardware. I think if they can get the story down it'll be a winner, or at least a decent way to experience Silent Hill 2. Liked Akira Yokomoto remix as well. Nice to hear him again on some Hill tunes.

Didn't like the button prompts for when James is grabbed. We know what button to press, kill the HUD shit or at least let me turn it off.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Chris Sunderland wrote: 02 Feb 2024Didn't like the button prompts for when James is grabbed. We know what button to press, kill the HUD shit or at least let me turn it off.
Another funny detail is that he was "grabbed" by a Lying Figure, a monster without arms :o.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Klimat wrote: 03 Feb 2024
Chris Sunderland wrote: 02 Feb 2024Didn't like the button prompts for when James is grabbed. We know what button to press, kill the HUD shit or at least let me turn it off.
Another funny detail is that he was "grabbed" by a Lying Figure, a monster without arms :o.
In all fairness, in ORIGINS the Straighjackets will wrap Travis up with their legs—maybe that's what they're going for.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Chris Sunderland

The Adversary wrote: 03 Feb 2024
In all fairness, in ORIGINS the Straighjackets will wrap Travis up with their legs—maybe that's what they're going for.
This is true, and I imagine their is a reason as to why James is being held by the lying figure that we are not seeing. I really don't mind the creatures grabbing you just let me kill the prompts man!
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Here is a new short 7 seconds clip with a nurse: https://www.facebook.com/darlin.jm.9/vi ... 7623763711
By the way I have counted three different versions of Bubble Head nurses in the game so far: a classic one, a classic with stockings and a corrupted version with some sort of shards(?) sticking out.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Maybe the appearance of the monsters changes depending on your actions/choices like in Shattered Memories?
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

That could be a really cool way to visually indicate which ending you're progressing towards.
Chris Sunderland

The small clip looks like a newer build of the game than the trailer. Rumor is we got a trailer that was supposed to come out around the time Ascensions trailer. They really are mailing the look and feel of Silent Hill 2. The environments are just perfect, Bloober really can make a gorgeous game.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Visuals have never been the issue with Bloober. Narrative and gameplay are. I'm pleasantly surprised at how solid the combat appears to be for this one, given they've never done combat in games before.
Lives in the mirror"
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Droo wrote: 05 Feb 2024Maybe the appearance of the monsters changes depending on your actions/choices like in Shattered Memories?
That is a possibility, also according to the trailer monsters of different subtypes can all attack James simultaneously.

After another careful study of the trailer, here are all the monsters I was able to spot:

Mannequin: 1). Mannequin with less bandages, 2). Mannequin with more bandages.
Lying Figure: 1). Classic Lying Figure, 2). Lying Figure with stockings, 3). Corrupted Lying Figure.
Bubble Head Nurse: 1). Classic Bubble Head Nurse with a pipe, 2). Bubble Head Nurse with stockings and a pipe, 3). Corrupted Bubble Head Nurse with a scalpel.

Mosters also get soaked in blood after receiving heavy damage from James.

Here is a visual table: https://imgur.com/a/CMuvbGn
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Chris Sunderland wrote: 04 Feb 2024
The Adversary wrote: 03 Feb 2024
This is true, and I imagine their is a reason as to why James is being held by the lying figure that we are not seeing. I really don't mind the creatures grabbing you just let me kill the prompts man!
He's not being held by the lying figure, James is trying to push the enemy away from him. It's essentially forcing itself on him, but it isn't grabbing or holding him.
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Skele wrote: 06 Feb 2024He's not being held by the lying figure, James is trying to push the enemy away from him. It's essentially forcing itself on him, but it isn't grabbing or holding him.
It is indeed what is happening, but it still looks weird. If an armless figure is trying to force itself on you, you only need to take a step back/to the side to deal with it. There is absolutely no reason to wrestle.