Which Songs On The OST Are You Most Excited To Hear Reworked?

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Which Songs On The OST Are You Most Excited To Hear Reworked?

Post by Droo »

Are there any songs in particular from the original SH2 soundtrack that you're excited/interested to hear in the Remake?

Right now I am most excited for Laura Plays The Piano and The Darkness That Lurks In Our Mind. I'm very interested in what the redone versions of those pieces are going to sound like.

What about the rest of you?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Which Songs On The OST Are You Most Excited To Hear Reworked?

Post by The Adversary »

The acoustic opening, "Letters from Silent Heaven (unofficial)," will be interesting to hear—I'm sure it will be revised, and probably officially released.

I imagine "Heaven's Night" and "Alone in the Town" will also be redone to some degree, even though it's one of the most iconic songs from the game.

I really don't think an awful lot will change outside of the in-game ambience. A lot of it could have potentially been lost over the past two decades, as the rumor goes with the original code/etc.

Based on the trailer, it doesn't sound like "Theme of Laura" was altered much, if at all, so I wonder if the ending themes or other iconic ones will be left alone, as well.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

"Betrayal" is my favorite song in the entire game, and I'm very excited to hear what Akira's cooking up for its remake version. The tragic melody combined with the industrial, metallic sounds goes incredibly well with the dialogue in the scene where it's playing. I hope very little is changed, but I wouldn't mind if the melody is amplified in the second chorus. I also think the melody could be re-utilized as background cues in new songs. It's really that good.

"Ordinary Vanity", "Heaven's Night", "The Day of Night", "True", and "Blank Fairy" are my other favorite songs. I hope all of them make it into the remake in some capacity.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
silentevil1989
Just Passing Through

Post by silentevil1989 »

Jonipoon wrote: 25 Feb 2023 "Betrayal" is my favorite song in the entire game, and I'm very excited to hear what Akira's cooking up for its remake version. The tragic melody combined with the industrial, metallic sounds goes incredibly well with the dialogue in the scene where it's playing. I hope very little is changed, but I wouldn't mind if the melody is amplified in the second chorus. I also think the melody could be re-utilized as background cues in new songs. It's really that good.

"Ordinary Vanity", "Heaven's Night", "The Day of Night", "True", and "Blank Fairy" are my other favorite songs. I hope all of them make it into the remake in some capacity.
I had to double check to be sure I wasn't one the who posted this reply, it's like you took the words from my keyboard lol. I share with you my preference for Betrayal and also would like to see the other songs you mentioned reworked.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

According to this interview, Akira Yamaoka is remaking all of the music.
I’m primarily responsible for the music in this game, though I also did sound effects in the original. This time, I'm working on remaking the music. I gave it a lot of thought.

As far as music, when it comes to remakes, you might have an original piece, an acoustic version, and an orchestral version. As a creator, I’ve gotten tired of making those kinds of arrangements. But for this remake, there are parts that players really love. Some parts may have emotionally resonated with them.

It sounds simple when you put it into words, but I decided to maintain those musical elements.

I am of course remaking all the music. Rather than not changing anything, I suppose I’m trying to heighten those feelings, translating them into the modern day.
So we'll be hearing all new versions of everything, apparently.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

It's kind of expected though; like he said there are different standards for video games in this modern age, and both sound and music are arranged and implemented in new ways to reference certain cues and melodies in various scenes and situations - Long story short, the atmosphere has become much more important. Although I must say the Silent Hill series was one of the pioneers within atmospheric sound design.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I wonder if there will be any new vocal songs or vocals added to older songs.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I wonder if there will be any new vocal songs or vocals added to older songs.<
God I hope not.

I'm just worried Akira Yamaoka is gonna recreate these songs about as lazily as he did SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING's soundtrack.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Shattered Memories was his last SH he scored and it was great all around.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

SILENT HILL: SHATTERED MEMORIES is solid, though I think it also suffers in that it’s a lot of samples.

Part of the industry, I guess.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.