Game Starts in Ashfield?

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Game Starts in Ashfield?

Post by Droo »

I was just thinking about whether the game will begin the same way as the original with James already in the lookout bathroom, or if Bloober will have the game start before then.

I was thinking it might be cool for the game to open with James at home in Ashfield (maybe even in Henry's future apartment?) and "receiving" the letter from Mary. Maybe it could be slid under the door like the red letters in SH4?

We could even maybe briefly see Frank/Richard/etc. before James hops in his car to drive to Silent Hill.

I started replaying The Medium and the opening portion taking place in the home of her deceased father before she heads to the resort and it got me thinking it might be interesting to have the opening tutorial portion of the game set at James' home before he leaves.

Thoughts?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Game Starts in Ashfield?

Post by The Adversary »

According to my theory—that Mary stayed at Brookhaven Hospital up until the end—she didn't die in Ashfield. She died at an unknown location somewhere in Silent Hill.

Anyway, I don't necessarily think SILENT HILL 2: REMAKE will alter the opening sequence, though I could see an occasional flashback throughout the game, possibly to expand on some of what happened leading up to her disappearance.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

It doesn't even have to be at the beginning necessarily. I'd just like to see some of it take place in Ashfield even as a flashback.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I can definitely see more flashback sequences being added. Perhaps an additional video tape of James trying out the camera at home the first time, as he and Mary prepare for their first trip to Silent Hill. The problem with this is of course, what purpose does it serve the story? If we get new flashback sequences that all tell the same thing - Oh look Mary is coughing again - it feels unneccesary and comes of as fan service.

Also, even if we get to see their apartment (or house) in Ashfield it probably won't be recognizable as Ashfield.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I've always thought James and Mary might have lived in Room 302 ever since SH4 came out.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I think there definitely would have been an actual reference if they stayed in room 302. Sure, they probably stayed at South Ashfield Heights—what with James' father running the place—but I find it hard to believe they would have lived in Henry's future apartment, and I don't recall any other references that could be in lieu of the lovebirds.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Adversary wrote: 21 Dec 2022 I think there definitely would have been an actual reference if they stayed in room 302. Sure, they probably stayed at South Ashfield Heights—what with James' father running the place—but I find it hard to believe they would have lived in Henry's future apartment, and I don't recall any other references that could be in lieu of the lovebirds.
Do you have any other apartments you think they may have stayed at?
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Not off hand. I'd have to actually play the game and look at the individual rooms, which, until I can find my copies of the fucking games, isn't likely. But I also don't remember from the times I did play it any specific thing that would lead me to believe they stayed in any specific room.

Online playthroughs are great and all, they're just not always as exploratory as I'd personally like.

One thing to note is that it seems unlikely both the Sunderlands and Mary's nurse, Rachel, lived in the same apartment while she was being treated. That would be a particularly wild coincidence. Unless Rachel moved there after James and Mary disappeared, of course, which, still, that would be one helluva coincidence.

We already got one reference to Mary in St. Jerome's Hospital, via the wilted flowers. I don't recall any others besides Henry mentioning Frank's son and daughter-in-law disappearing "a few years back."

Though, hey, maybe Frank gave Henry the photo of Silent Hill because room 302 was their apartment and he wanted to keep it in the family, so to speak. . . .

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I doubt James would be keen on staying in the same apartment building run by his own father, anyway.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Jonipoon wrote: 22 Dec 2022 I doubt James would be keen on staying in the same apartment building run by his own father, anyway.
Unless it resulted in reduced/no rent.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

When I think about it, it could actually provide depth to the story if we see James and Mary interact with Frank in some way. Although it may create unneccesary character plots, it would be interesting to see James have some sort of estranged or complicated relationship with his father. Perhaps Frank has been avoiding James since his own wife passed away, and James is disappointed in him not wanting to spend time with him and Mary.

It has to serve the story, though. I don't like adding plot points that never come up later in the story.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>it would be interesting to see James have some sort of estranged or complicated relationship with his father.<
That was always my impression, seeing as we know James simply didn't say anything to Frank, apparently not even about his daughter-in-law's illness. I feel like that would have been brought up in SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM. I mean, his son has been missing for 7 years. You'd think that might pop up other than in a passing comment from one of his very new tenants.

I get not wanting to go over-the-top with James' disappearance and to leave SILENT HILL 2's ending ambiguous still, but I'd think if it wasn't a strenuous relationship already there'd be a way to introduce that without shoehorning it in.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.