Extra Content Yay/Nay/What?

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Extra Content Yay/Nay/What?

Post by The Adversary »

I wonder if we'll get to visit Henry's apartment somehow again.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I floated the idea that we may see the apartment building at the very beginning with James living there and "getting the letter." But I doubt we would see Henry's actual apartment even if that's true. Unless James lived in the same unit before Henry did.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I somehow doubt James and Mary lived in South Ashfield Heights. The Sunderland men seem to have something of a strained relationship, and, as such, I doubt James would live in the building his father owned. Sure, they'd probably get free/cheap rent, but I just don't see it.

I mostly meant that in jest in reference to SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR's unusual choice to throw in room #302 in Silent Hill proper.

Two posts and two days to go.
Last edited by The Adversary on 17 Jul 2023, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

They may have had a strained relationship, but that doesn't mean James wouldn't live in his building. James was not a wealthy man and if he could get cheaper rent by staying in his dad's building, he probably would have.

Do we really know that their relationship was strained?
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I wouldn't say we know for sure, though I think it can be inferred. Heck, it's been not even a decade since James disappeared and the only hint we get of that is via a tenant who's only lived there for, like, six months because Frank gave him a painting of Toluca Lake.

I mean, Frank says more about an umbilical cord than his son.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The only reference to James that I remember is Henry saying that his son went missing or something like that; don't remember anything more specific about their relationship.The money issue is true tho, with James being just a clerk and the expensive hospital bills, I remember Mary saying something like "Doctors keeping her alive because they are getting good money from her".
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Adversary wrote: 17 Jul 2023 I wouldn't say we know for sure, though I think it can be inferred. Heck, it's been not even a decade since James disappeared and the only hint we get of that is via a tenant who's only lived there for, like, six months because Frank gave him a painting of Toluca Lake.

I mean, Frank says more about an umbilical cord than his son.
What reason would Frank have to talk about James to Henry/Eileen or any other tenant? My super could be going through a personal tragedy but I wouldn't expect him to jaw at me about it.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

> I mostly meant that in jest in reference to SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR's unusual choice to throw in room #302 in Silent Hill proper.

Well that was clearly just a non-canon easter egg.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>What reason would Frank have to talk about James to Henry/Eileen or any other tenant?<
South Ashfield Heights seems to be an unusual apartment where practically everyone knows everyone and knows everyone's business—so much so that they get involved in each other's lives. I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of gossip extended to Frank, as well.

>Well that was clearly just a non-canon easter egg.<
Oh I know. It's just a weird one for me. It's just hard (for stupid people like me) to differentiate those sort of easter eggs as non-canon when you have things like the Incubus/"Samael" painting also in SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR when it could easily be—and was—misconstrued as canon. Yet we know the Order's God is not Samael.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Except what if Frank had suspicions his son murdered his wife or was planning to? He might be more mum on the issue of James and Mary after they vanished.
Lives in the mirror"
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

I'm a bit partial to James having lived in Daisy Villa.

South Ashfield Heights doesn't have a Room 208 if I remember correctly.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Why would you think they lived there?
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Except what if Frank had suspicions his son murdered his wife or was planning to?<
Why would he have that suspicion? Mary was terminally ill. Far as we know James just couldn't deal with the loss of his wife and disappeared.

Had James actually killed himself by driving into the lake, I'm sure Frank would have requested some kind of search in Silent Hill (since he seems to know he went there) and the police could have dragged the waters for his car. Seems more likely James would just Leave and not come back.

>South Ashfield Heights doesn't have a Room 208 if I remember correctly.<
Room 208 is most likely where Mary was hospitalized, not their apartment number.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Unless his physical body was disappeared from reality and his corpse remains in the car at the bottom of the lake in Foggy Silent Hill. Cops wouldn't find it then.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Unless his physical body was disappeared from reality and his corpse remains in the car at the bottom of the lake in Foggy Silent Hill.<
"I do know that if you get killed here . . . Then you die in the real world too. . . ."

SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM makes it clear that if you die in the Otherworld, your body still appears in the real world.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

That's true, at least in SH4. The 21 Sacraments Ending has Henry's body being found, albeit mangled beyond identification.

But perhaps the rules of Walter's realities and ritual are different than what happened to James in SH2. There's no indication the events that happened to James, Eddie and Angela are tied to any kind of occult ritual like Walter was performing.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

^Walter’s world definitely has its own sets of rules and laws that work slightly different from the Otherworld in the town of Silent Hill (and other places). Every level in the game is actually a dream that Henry visits during sleep, the only exception being the actual Room 302 itself which behaves more like the Otherworld we’re used to in the other games.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Walter's Dreamworld is certainly different than the [otherside] we typically see—more Freddy Kruger than Alessa—but one can argue that Harry's body is in the real world even after his murder: Heather is seen, post-credits, kneeling next to a cross-shaped tombstone. Sure, it could simply be a memorial for Harry. I believe he's buried there, though.

Also, regarding Walter's Dreamworld: I don't think it's much different than Alessa's in certain aspects, especially in that both were basically the aftermath of different rituals from the same cult. The Otherworld wouldn't exist without Alessa's own psychic abilities. I've always wondered if Alessa's "powers" were siddhis and that's how this all sort of came about.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

As for the Otherworld not existing but for Alessa and the events of SH1/Origins, f may uproot that concept entirely. It takes place in the 1960s, no? Alessa isn't even born then.

Not to mention all the stuff we know has historically happened in the town's history that appear supernatural in nature.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>As for the Otherworld not existing but for Alessa and the events of SH1/Origins, f may uproot that concept entirely.<
SILENT HILL: PAST LIFE already suggests that people can be summoned to Silent Hill, so SILENT HILL ƒ doesn't really need to counter that.

Also Alessa (according to my timeline) was born in 1969, so it could have something to do with her, technically speaking.

I think ƒ will have a split timeline, occurring in both the '60s and another more modern period, using flashbacks.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.