Cafe 5to2 in the SH2 remake

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Cafe 5to2 in the SH2 remake

Post by Jonipoon »

A cafe has been spotted in the trailer for the Silent Hill 2 remake that looks suspiciously similar to Cafe 5to2 from the original Silent Hill from 1999.

It has the same furniture and overall aesthetic, och most of the objects are placed in the same place with minor tweaks. This is most definitely not a coincidence.

Original:

New:

There's a big difference however: This new cafe is only open 7 to 2, but given the fact that SH2 takes place years after SH1 there's always the possibility that the owners have changed the opening hours.

But.... what speaks against this being the same cafe is the location. Cafe 5to2 is located in Old Silent Hill on Bachman Street, and the events of SH2 takes place almost entirely in South Vale minus the Lakeview Hotel on the other side of Toluca lake. So, technically this cannot be the same cafe unless James goes to Old Silent Hill for some reason (which isn't likely).

It has made me wondering though; why even include a cafe that looks almost exactly the same as a cafe from SH1 in a SH2 remake? Is it just a nice easter egg for the fans of the first game? Or could it be a red flag when it comes to Bloober Team's attention to continuity? Or are we actually going to see James visit Old Silent Hill for additional levels that weren't in the original game?
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Droo

Re: Cafe 5to2 in the SH2 remake

Post by Droo »

Maybe it's a franchise and there's one open south of the lake?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Probably just an Easter egg like Henry's apartment being in Downpour.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

It is a different cafe going by the layout. The left corner has similarities, but the right side and the doors are completely different.
Droo

Post by Droo »

jdnation wrote: 21 Oct 2022 It is a different cafe going by the layout. The left corner has similarities, but the right side and the doors are completely different.

Then again the restroom from the opening is oriented in a completely different direction if I recall correctly. So liberties may be taken with layouts/appearances
Lives in the mirror"
WhiteHarbor
Just Passing Through

Post by WhiteHarbor »

I saw that too. Such a nice detail. Also it kind of gives me hope about the possibility of them having allowed access to some of the other buildings in town for exploration. Even though it didn't hurt the game at all that was the one thing I always felt was missing from Silent Hill 2 and 3. The exploration aspect that we had in Silent Hill 1 was very diminished in the sequels.
They tried to bring it back with a vengeance in downpour and I would say that was one of the few things that actually worked in that game but it sometimes felt visually repetitive and not rewarding the player for doing it.
Formerly known as MrCaliche
Writer of Silent Hill: Memories of Age
Now publishing a horror serial per chapters named "White Harbor" inspired by Silent Hill, HP Lovecraft and Stephen King: https://www.patreon.com/WhiteHarbor
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It really appears to just be a café, not necessarily 5 to 2 Café. The doors are different—new one is a double-door—and the bar is in a different spot.

In fact, looking at the complete map, there are four cafés in South Vale, two on Neely St. and two on Katz St.: Neighborhood Café and American Café and Caterer; and Café Mist and Café Texan, respectively. It could realistically be any of those.

I would honestly guess it's Café Texan because he passes it on his way up Lindsey St. as he chases "That shadow just now. . ."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VermantHest
Just Passing Through

Post by VermantHest »

Definitely not the same café. Only furniture may look somewhat similar, but those were a standard during the times. It's just a common "café aesthetic".

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a Neely's Bar.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

^Umm. Neely's Bar is well known for being the location of the often quoted "There was a hole here...". It looks nothing like the cafe in the new trailer, and I highly doubt Bloober Team will drastically change the style of such an iconic location.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It's definitely not Bar Neely's.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VermantHest
Just Passing Through

Post by VermantHest »

What specifically denies the possibility that this is Neely's bar? I can definitely see more resemblance than in other background buildings presented in Silent Hill 2. Seeing how there are clear environment changes, I wouldn't be surprised if this is its new look.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

VermantHest wrote: 23 Oct 2022 What specifically denies the possibility that this is Neely's bar? I can definitely see more resemblance than in other background buildings presented in Silent Hill 2. Seeing how there are clear environment changes, I wouldn't be surprised if this is its new look.
Because a bar looks like a bar and a diner looks like a diner?! I don't think this is 5to2 or Neely's - just generic diner, I suspect.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
LittleNightma
Just Passing Through

Post by LittleNightma »

I too do not think it’s meant to be Bar Neelys or Cafe 5to2. We also don’t know if they will leave the map as is so we could possibly see new locations or access areas/stores we couldn’t before.
Last edited by LittleNightma on 24 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.
"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never take on such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." - George Orwell
Droo

Post by Droo »

The original Neely's felt way too small to be a bar. I wouldn't mind if it was slightly bigger this time.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

^I've been to bars of that size though, pretty cozy.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The original Neely's felt way too small to be a bar. I wouldn't mind if it was slightly bigger this time.<
My previous bar's occupancy indoors was 39 people, and probably about the size of Neely's.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VermantHest
Just Passing Through

Post by VermantHest »

The room with the quote "There was a hole here..." is not the whole Bar Neely's. It goes all the way around the corner: https://imgur.com/a/OFvD8yO
The thought that this small room was the whole bar didn't even come to my mind when playing the game.

I have made a direct comparison to existing cafés in South Vale, although I couldn't find mentioned earlier Neighborhood Café and American Café: https://imgur.com/a/MLXdJxp
As you can see, Cafe Mist and Cafe Texan are totally out of the question. Bar Neely's fits perfectly if we place a double door between the two sets of windows. Not many buildings in Silent Hill 2 have an awning that ends in round bumps, but Bar Neely's is one of them.

To Vixx about the bar/diner thing: Blooper Team is a Polish team. In Poland, Bars and Diners are very similar to each other and one can be called another. Also, look at the windows in the original Bar Neely's: even if they are stock images you can see tables with dishes inside so apparently, you can *eat* there as well (if that was your main point of concern).

But, I have found another place that may fit - Big Jay's on Katz St.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

> I couldn't find mentioned earlier Neighborhood Café and American Café<
Neither are directly labeled on the map. Neighborhood Café is north of Big Jay's, in the middle of the block. American Café and Caterer is directly south of Big Jay's on the other side of the street and right next door to Café Mist.
Last edited by The Adversary on 08 Jun 2023, edited 1 time in total.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>In Poland, Bars and Diners are very similar to each other and one can be called another.

Really? I lived in Poland for 8 months last year, and my biggest cultural shock was the unique design and interior of the bars/restaurants. Every place basically had their own cool concept.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I'm almost positive it's Café Texan. That diner is shown early in the trailer and it's the only café/restaurant on Lindsey St. that James would pass after he sees the first Lying Figure on his way to Vachss Rd.

This could be an indicator that we do actually get to see the interior of more places around town, not just the semi-mandatory stops.

Only 50 more to go. . . .

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.