Ryuukishi 07 - is f a visual novel/adventure game?

It's true - a Silent Hill game from ryukishi07! Here's what we know so far...

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Ryuukishi 07 - is f a visual novel/adventure game?

Post by jdnation »

Don't know much about him, but I am aware of the manga adapting Higurashi and Umineko. Apparently he is a well know visual novel horror writer in Japan. Seems that Konami was trying to court talent and this may be related to past attempts involving Suehiro Maruo, likely stemming from Kojima's prior attempt to work with Junji I to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryukishi07

This leads me to wonder about whether f is a visual novel game. Perhaps, more elaborate, in the vein of David Cage games like Heavy Rain. Something that pushes visuals, but is not necessarily a full fledged title.

Similarly, Ascension will be making use of a lot of ex-Telltale staff, so that sort of game style easily facilitates player choices. But unlike the Bad Robot Ascension, f will be a more author-driven experience with variability. Or perhaps still linear, but with interactivity.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Ryuukishi 07 - is f a visual novel/adventure game?

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think a Heavy Rain or Until Dawn approach could be cool in Silent Hill. I hope it's more of a traditional horror game though.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Ryukishi originally wanted to be a video game developer before he became known for his Sound Novels (technically there aren't really choices in the When They Cry series, so it's not considered Visual Novels, don't ask me why he went with Sound Novels as they are still visual...)

His name is actually a reference to Final Fantasy V. lol

Also, the developers behind the game have mostly been known for working with Capcom on recent Resident Evil stuff. They were behind the next-gen upgrades to 7, 2, and 3. They also helped with development on the multiplayer stuff like Resistance and ReVerse. I think it's safe to say it's not going to be a Visual Novel or David Cage style adventure game, there'd be no need for a developer like them if it was. Ryukishi is a talented enough writer that I'm sure he can write for a proper video game too.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Polygon is describing it as a main line series game. Doesn't sound like a visual novel to me.

https://www.polygon.com/23413471/silent ... ler-konami
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I'm actually going to write up a thread about Ryukishi07 in a moment, from the perspective of a fan of his work for people who have no idea who he is.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Thank you because I have no idea who he is.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Al Yang is the director. Previously was at THQ.
https://twitter.com/QQBert

Everything seems to be pointing to this as a proper Silent Hill entry, so that's good, not that I'd have minded otherwise. This is the most intriguing and fresh thing we've seen here.

The Dark Pictures guys also reportedly pitched a branching adventure game to Konami, so it's not impossible we'd get that, but maybe Ascension fills that gap.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

I remember thinking the franchise worked better as a story.
Prisoner
Just Passing Through

Post by Prisoner »

Higurashi is about the town, Hinamizawa. I think R07 is a perfect fit for Silent Hill. I trust him entirely with this property. I’m very excited to see what they come up with.
Thinking Evil Thoughts about Masahiro Ito, Currently