Set in 1960s Japan

It's true - a Silent Hill game from ryukishi07! Here's what we know so far...

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Re: Set in 1960s Japan

Post by jdnation »

Well, yeah, it's the same character model. But enemy types in games usually build upon the same model with some variation adjustments. I imagine there will be various stages of degradation and change the further the game progresses.

I'm guessing the fact that we see a steady progression of the girl from normal to weaponized to torn clothing and then completely caught and infected by the flora until her face falls off is a hint that we'll be fighting schoolgirls as monsters.

I don't think they'll have visible damage and torn clothing remain as part of character damage on the person you play as. Not that it wouldn't be cool, but whereas you can heal wounds with med packs, torn clothing coming back feels a bit illusion-breaking unless they completely commit to maintaining that, but it probably won't be dynamic.

Only concern is whether fighting normal-looking school girls violently may really push the rating, so I'm assuming that they'll more obviously alter them, likely their faces, so that they look less human.

We'll likely know with the next trailer/major game magazine article about who the MC is. Which could also be a girl, but it is highly likely that whoever it is, is an adult, considering the style of the game. Violent horror games with more realistic graphics in Japan might not be kosher using underaged characters, especially if realistic firearms are involved or potential allusions to drug use.

Considering the talent involved, Konami is also strongly targeting the Japanese market with F.

Even in Western markets, using underage characters in games involving player-driven violent situations is a general no-no, which is why you don't see many of them, unless they are obviously twisted depictions in horror titles. So it'll be interesting to see what F is going for.

So, unless the game is less violent, we are more likely playing as an adult than a minor.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

> Not that it wouldn't be cool, but whereas you can heal wounds with med packs, torn clothing coming back feels a bit illusion-breaking unless they completely commit to maintaining that, but it probably won't be dynamic.

It could be as simple as the character's clothing being damaged as the game progresses but not as a result of combat damage. Think Batman's cape in Arkham Asylum or the blood on Heather's shirt in Silent Hill 3.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>I don't think they'll have visible damage and torn clothing remain as part of character damage on the person you play as.

It’s a cinematic teaser. It’s supposed to set the mood and present a concept, not show precise gameplay mechanics.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Parasite EVE 3rd Birthday used clothing damage as a health meter for Aya I believe, but that was also a thinly veiled excuse to show her in various states of undress.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>There is definitely only 1 girl throughout the entire teaser. I have examined their hairstyle and outfits up close. They are the same.<
Good looking out. I didn't examine it that closely ever.

>I imagine there will be various stages of degradation and change the further the game progresses.<
This is strictly based on your assumption that this girl is a monster. We have no real evidence as such.

The teaser even prefaces itself with a "Not Actual Gameplay Footage" notice.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well yes, those are all my assumptions based on the teaser, which should go without saying...

Good teasers usually are made to indicate things the developers are thinking of doing. Not always, that's true, but we do see some SH specific things, like the girl holding a metal pipe.

That pipe is either a melee weapon for the player character, or a weapon an enemy type may use.

On the topics of whether the girl is the player or not.

Assuming it is the player:
- Seeing torn clothing and bleeding and infection can be inferred as the devs thinking of visual indicators of damage or other player states.

Assuming it is not the player:
- Then we are likely witnessing variations of an enemy, whose final appearences may be different in the final product.

Assuming that it is just cinematic with no direct relation to enemy or player:
- Then it may be a story of someone who was caught in the other world and didn't make it out, and is either dead or turned into a creature/possible enemy/boss.
- May be someone with some relation to MC, or random person tied to larger story of something happening to people in the area.
- The teaser would then still demonstrate something about whatever is going on in the world and potential things the player will have to confront or deal with.

In any case, given the limitations of game ratings boards, we likely will not be playing as a person of that age, nor attacking plain normal representations of people of that age, though this doesn't rule out interactions or conflict of another sort with persons of that age. Violence may still be possible against them if they are restricted to cinematic or written or verbal description.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

https://twitter.com/Konami/status/1602711370838904833

Same location in two different states, huh?
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

^Woah, can't believe I missed such an obvious detail. That's definitely alluding to the Otherworld, if not referencing it.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Yeah, not sure how I didn't really notice it either. Guess we can conclude that this really is the Otherworld/[otherside] being depicted, and not just an abandoned town or empty street (in the blue setting).

Interesting to note the trailer switches from the blue world to (ostensibly) the [otherside] after the girl looks at the red flowers at the memorial. Maybe that causes the transition, much like the mirrors in SILENT HILL: ORIGINS.

Pure speculation, of course, if that's not obvious enough.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

It could be interesting to explore the controlled otherworld transitions mechanic from Origins again. Then again it could just be like when Heather turned the bathtub knob in SH3 before the building world transition.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I'm getting increasingly excited for this game. I just hope the trypophobia triggering imagery doesn't limit its appeal.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Alexius Corvinus wrote: 14 Dec 2022 https://twitter.com/Konami/status/1602711370838904833

Same location in two different states, huh?
Many already noticed that. I also pointed it out here :P :
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26922

It'd be interesting if Konami tweets out more stuff like this that may confirm a few things.