Unable to start anew...[Downpour]

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

Spong
Gravedigger

Unable to start anew...[Downpour]

Post by Spong »

Sorry if this is viewed as a duplicate thread if someone has already asked this. It's been a long while since I've posted here, so my apologies if this is something that has already been answered.

Okay, so I started a new game on Downpour. I decided that I wanted to start with a clean slate, so I wiped all five saves (one system save and four checkpoint saves) from my Xbox. I start the game up and check my stats, everything is zero. I play through the Devil's Pit and get to Silent Hill, trying to decide which of those pre-order codes I'm going to use on the lockers. I get to the first locker and it's already open, giving me the same weapons I chose before (the crappy nailgun and that crappy axe). I wander a little into the town and come across the first dig spot, and the candles are lit, Murphy even comments about the ground being soft.

So wtf gives? The game's acting like I'm on a second playthrough, yet I deleted all my saves.
I'm really quite annoyed about the lockers, there's weapons available from those that you can't get anywhere else, but now it seems like I'm screwed in terms of being able to get them.

Anyone know how, if possible, to remedy this so I can start literally from the beginning again?

EDIT
Upon further investigation, it seems the 360 version saves information to the cache or something (like a patch). I deleted all traces of Downpour from my 360, started a new game and the difficulty settings were set the same as the playthrough I started yesterday (Hard/Normal) instead of being the default Normal/Normal setting.

If the game really does store information to the cache on 360 then that sucks, there's no way to delete it without deleting almost every patch you've ever downloaded.
Skele
Subway Guard

Re: Unable to start anew...

Post by Skele »

I believe once you enter a DLC code for Downpour, you have to delete the save file for the original weapon pack that you have in order to use an additional weapon pack. I could be wrong, but i'm not sure if Downpour is like other games, where you can use multiple codes to unlock various weapons/characters.

so check your save files on the 360 and check for marketplace content, and just delete the weapon pack DLC. if that doesn't work.. sorry.
Spong
Gravedigger

Post by Spong »

Thanks for the response.

I've already tried deleting all visible records of Downpour on my 360, but the lockers remain open and the dig spots are there in the first playthrough when they shouldn't be. It even remembers the last difficulty levels I selected, even though there's no saves present on my hard drive/memory unit/USB stick.

The locker codes themselves are just that, there's no DLC involved or downloading anything from LIVE, so there's nothing to delete in that respect. The codes are basically cheats that give you access to certain weapons that are in the game but otherwise locked.

But nevertheless the game seems to have saved the code I used, and the fact I've completed it at least once, in some place other than the standard save files which I've already deleted.

It's bizarre.
atomheart
Just Passing Through

Post by atomheart »

Try holding down the A button whilst the game starts up (hold it down from when you turn the xbox on until the main screen). This should clear your Xbox cache.
Spong
Gravedigger

Post by Spong »

I can clear the cache by going to Storage on the Dashboard, highlighting the hard drive and pressing the Y-button for 'Device Options'.

I've considered it, it seems like that's the only option left to be able to start the game completely fresh. But wiping my cache will mean I'll have to re-download patches for over fifty games. That's a nightmare.

It sucks, but it seems I'm stuck with the lousy nailgun & axe from the lockers.
atomheart
Just Passing Through

Post by atomheart »

Using the hold A method rather than using settings should only clear cache for that 1 game.

HOWEVER

I have never had to do this so please don't quote me on it, and certainly don't risk it if you don't want to potentialy download your updates again!!!
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I was pretty upset about all of my statistics being reset upon starting a second playthrough.
They should've included a stat list for your time with DP overall & a stat list for each individual game save; but I guess that'd only work with a manual save system...
Spong
Gravedigger

Re: Unable to start anew...[Downpour]

Post by Spong »

@atomheart
I did actually try that out after I posted, I figured that maybe you were suggesting it would only remove the cache items for Downpour. Selecting to play Downpour on the Dashboard and holding the A-button until the title screen appeared seemed to do nothing. However, the game did ask me to select a storage device, something it hasn't done since I originally started playing the game (or if I play using another profile).

So, I've deleted my saves once more and I'll play through the opening stages of the game shortly to see if the lockers have been locked again. Although, straight off the bat, I can say that the game is still remembering the difficulty settings I last played on and the settings I had in the options (I just checked).

@thy_butcher
AFAIK, Downpour does keep ongoing stats of your overall time in the game (and various other info), you can view them in the Extras menu on the title screen. For me, those stats only got reset when I deleted all my saves, I had a 'Total time spent in game' stat of well over thirty hours before I wiped everything.

EDIT
The lockers are still open and the dig spots are still present when they really shouldn't be. It's weird, I've posted about this on another forum and have had several PS3 owners say that all they have to do is delete their saves in order to use other locker codes.
atomheart
Just Passing Through

Post by atomheart »

Very odd?

Have you tried disconnecting from live. It's a long shot but it might work???
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I found a mention of this problem on another forum, and the person solved the problem by deleting their save data and game utility data. There's no mention if they're using a PS3 or a 360, but I hope that helps.

Go into your storage device > Games and Apps > Downpour, then delete that data if you haven't already.

If all else fails, you can always just play with a new profile and everything will be reset.
Claudia_Wolf
Just Passing Through

Post by Claudia_Wolf »

JuriDawn wrote:I found a mention of this problem on another forum, and the person solved the problem by deleting their save data and game utility data. There's no mention if they're using a PS3 or a 360, but I hope that helps.

Go into your storage device > Games and Apps > Downpour, then delete that data if you haven't already.

If all else fails, you can always just play with a new profile and everything will be reset.
Unfortunately, they are talking about PS3 :( that means no solution to Xbox yet :(
i also have the same problem, im stuck with those useless Double Axe and Nail Gun. I would go for all of the Devil's Pitstop and the Devil's Pit again, but, since i discovered a glitch that allows you to save the game more than the 5 normal times (you can save up to 16! but the Load menu and ocassionaly the pause menu will get a little slow to open properly, nothing serious), i had to do those two levels over 10 times before i discovered how to do the glitch properly, and started to play normally in the town, so, they are kinda boring for me, now.
So, i dont want to go through them to see if the delete cache thing worked.
Can anyone confirm please if this works? Thanks!!! :)
EDIT: it doesn't work! :( apparentely, the data saves along with the other information of your user (you cant delte it, as you cant delete achievments). Oh, well, time to start it with a new account! :)