Wild speculation

Everything we know so far about No Code's upcoming take on Silent Hill...

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Re: Wild speculation

Post by Droo »

Alexius Corvinus wrote: 25 Oct 2022 Supposedly, No Code has been working on Silent Hill: Townfall since Observation (2019). So, at least this and SH2R have been in development since 2019. I’m also looking forward to a new, yet traditional take on Silent Hill.

https://twitter.com/_NoCode/status/1582845834684616704

I think I’m going to by each SH game that comes out, as they all look promising, and each has something to bring to the table.

As for the large body of water, it could be from a lake bigger than Toluca lake, or it could be from a part of the game not in SH. Alternately, it could just be a motif or mood piece to set the tone of the game.

So the whole time we speculated and wondered (and people hurled accusations at me in the Facebook Group of spreading falsehoods) this and SH2R were in active development? :o
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Alexius Corvinus wrote: 25 Oct 2022 As for the large body of water, it could be from a lake bigger than Toluca lake, or it could be from a part of the game not in SH. Alternately, it could just be a motif or mood piece to set the tone of the game.
There are clearly waves in the teaser, though, suggesting it's tidal and a sea/ocean rather than a lake?
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
thebatleo
Just Passing Through

Post by thebatleo »

I'm convinced the waves motif is.not supposed to.be in Silent Hill itself.

It seems both townfall and f are toying with the idea that the power of the town expands way further than.just Silent Hill.itself, like 3, 4 and Homecoming did.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I've always liked the idea of the power of the town spreading beyond Silent Hill, it always seemed like the natural evolution of the series. As long as the lore is there to back it up, I'm all for it.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I also think it just makes sense that in the Silent Hill universe there may well be a few more places in the world with a similar power.
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

Alexius Corvinus wrote: 25 Oct 2022 Supposedly, No Code has been working on Silent Hill: Townfall since Observation (2019). So, at least this and SH2R have been in development since 2019. I’m also looking forward to a new, yet traditional take on Silent Hill.

https://twitter.com/_NoCode/status/1582845834684616704

I think I’m going to by each SH game that comes out, as they all look promising, and each has something to bring to the table.

As for the large body of water, it could be from a lake bigger than Toluca lake, or it could be from a part of the game not in SH. Alternately, it could just be a motif or mood piece to set the tone of the game.
Interesting, I was under the impression that they didn't have much to show and that's why they said they would be back in the new year after working for a bit with more news. Hopefully that will be a substantial reveal then.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Maybe they didn't want to dilute the impact of SH2R and f's reveal by showing too much if it at the same time?

I suspect we will see much more of it in January or February given their comments at the Transmission.
Lives in the mirror"
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

The radio is a thing, so there could be an element of long range communication with someone by the coast.

NoCode's game might not be a traditional SH. There is also precedent in SH4, where some more abstract part of the town can be explored elsewhere. It just requires some manner of medium.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

^I mean, we're not even sure if Townfall is a "game" at all in the traditional sense. It might be more of a story-based puzzle game similar to No Codes previous work.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I also think it just makes sense that in the Silent Hill universe there may well be a few more places in the world with a similar power.<
Or perhaps Silent Hill is the opposite of a "Blue Zone" in the world, where people live longer, healthier lives, whereas in Silent Hill you get, well, just about not that.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

A look at some of the previous work by one of the game's concept artists.
https://www.instagram.com/franckb.art/
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

jdnation wrote: 07 Nov 2022 A look at some of the previous work by one of the game's concept artists.
https://www.instagram.com/franckb.art/
Seems to be inspired by Hellraiser
Droo

Post by Droo »

Hmm. I've never been crazy about the BDSM body horror imagery of the monsters in Hellraiser.
Lives in the mirror"
Adrasteia
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Adrasteia »

Droo wrote: 07 Nov 2022 Hmm. I've never been crazy about the BDSM body horror imagery of the monsters in Hellraiser.
Yeah, me neither. I appreciate the far more abstract SH monster appearances. It seems to me that those go with the ‘let your imagination fill in The Creepy’ concept, rather than the obnoxiously obvious ‘look, your eyelids are stapled to your feet, so ouch’.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

So, I'm not familiar with No Code. Its games are strictly puzzle-style with no combat, is that right?

If that's the case, then SILENT HILL: TOWNFALL may simply be all about the history of the town and past events using puzzles to tell the narrative. Which I'd be all for, personally.

And, seeing as there seems to be some mention of Alessa in the trailer, and an '80s-era CRTV and landline telephone are on the desk, this could easily be a semi-direct sequel to the original SILENT HILL as mentioned before. Also might be the one I'm most interested in at this point.

Curious, though, if that's the case, how that concept artist's work would be integrated, especially in a potentially monster-less setting. Some of it reminded me of SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR's monsters—the prisoners, especially, which are one of my least favorite designs in the series, next to maybe Gumheads and Patients from SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well the concept artist may change up their style for Townfall compared to their previous work. His primary pallette seems to be ZBrush and sculpting in 3D. I can see them also being good at incorporating body horror into environmental design. Or he could just be involved in other aspects such as box-art, promotional image materials/posters, or in-game CG.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I think the strength of most monster designs in Silent Hill is that they don't come with distinct faces, which adds to the surreal ambiguity. Even the various dog designs throughout the series have had distorted heads. So yeah, the prisoners and the screamers of Silent Hill: Downpour are undoubtedly my least favorite monsters in the entire series.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Or he could just be involved in other aspects such as box-art, promotional image materials/posters, or in-game CG.<
Kinda what I was thinking, too: promo/concept-type stuff.

>the prisoners and the screamers of Silent Hill: Downpour are undoubtedly my least favorite monsters in the entire series.<
I like the Screamers, oddly enough. But, yeah, kinda why the Mannequins are one of my favorite monsters (Closers being number one)—no faces, no torso, nothing.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>The coastal scenes are confusing me, tho. I know Silent Hill is a "resort town" but I've never considered it to be on the coast<
After going through SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR again, Silent Hill's zip code is specifically mentioned in a letter (I believe in the prison). It's 04107, which is southern Portland/Cape Elizabeth, which would be right on the coast.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Lake Seabago in Maine is pretty close to Portland, and it has quite a few beaches even though it's an in-land lake.