Let's talk about the girl in the images

Everything we know - and don't know, I guess - about all those Silent Hill rumours.

Moderator: Moderators

Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Let's talk about the girl in the images

Post by Jonipoon »

There's a lot of question marks regarding her identity. The obvious guess is that she's the player character, and if so she'd be the first new female protagonist since Heather in SH3.

If not, she might actually the be "villain" or rather someone we encounter in the game that the story revolves around. Based on the images she appears to be the victim of bullying, and I for one would much rather prefer to have the troubled/mentally unstable character be a NPC rather than our main protagonist. I've said for many years that the two Silent Hill games with the best stories are SH1 and SH4, and in both those games the protagonist is not the main focus of the story. I think the themes from SH2 (amnesia, to be precise) have been overused and I would like to see a new Silent Hill that tries to do something else besides copying SH2.

But, if we play as this girl, and in the end we found out that she has amnesia and she's actually the one bullying others, but she somehow just "forgot about it"... then I guess we have another SH2 to add to the family of Origins, Homecoming, SHSM, and Downpour.

The last and most unlikely scenario is that this girl is a player-made stock character, and we'll actually create our own protagonist.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Let's talk about the girl in the images

Post by MistahJ »

I'm also sick and tired of the amnesia, guilt-ridden protagonists. I would love to see them expand on the cult some more, delving more into the religion and the drug usage. It would be interesting to give us more glimpses of the different gods and angels maybe? Anything would be better than the predictable SH2 copycat stuff. Like I don't mind it if the protagonists have their own personal baggage or issues, but I'd prefer it if that was just an extra layer to the plot rather than be the whole premise. For example, I like how in SH4, it's implied that Henry might be a bit of a socially awkward recluse, and we can see that reflected in his apartment and his interactions with other characters. But there isn't some big reveal that he's secretly a serial killer or something, because his issues take a back seat to Walter's story and more insight into the cult. It wasn't entirely predictable, like so many of the other games copying SH2. I really hope they can see that, and go a more original route this time and even take the series in a whole new direction.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I've seen some speculation that the post-it notes and text surrounding her isn't her internal dialogue but that she's channeling outside thoughts of some kind.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

According to VGC, these images are all from a new P.T. playable teaser.

We don't know if she is specifically a main character, but I'm assuming there is not much to her other than a player avatar character for the new P.T. setting, and that the post-it notes play a part in user generated messages through online connectivity.

Or one fun puzzle idea is that you can take certain 'notes' with a particular message or mood and put that on or inside of her and she'll respond or do things.

Maybe she is the puzzle itself.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I would love to see them expand on the cult some more, delving more into the religion and the drug usage.<
Only problem I have with this is the nefarious misunderstanding and mishandling of the whole Order thing by later developers. I get it, though. I'd absolutely love it if were expanded upon. But it has to be done right, within the established lore, correctly. And I have hard time believing that, after a decade, people/writers really understand it all. Hell, even I—who I like to believe has been on top of this since the beginning—have a hard time remembering all that shit now.
Last edited by The Adversary on 17 May 2022, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

If I had to chose, I'd rather start fresh with a new story. Make some references to what happened in the past for sure. Maybe find some remnants of the cult. But honestly I feel like by the end of SH3 that story had run dry and it was time to move on. I know a lot of people have criticism of post-SH4 games trying too hard to recapture the SH2 thing but I'd rather go in that direction than more cult stuff. Ideally though, we'd get something new.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Yeah, I believe Kojima probably had the right idea with 'Silent Hills.'

Seemed like it would basically be a reboot and its own new canon and no continuation from the original titles.

This is why Shattered Memories worked well.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

The cult stuff seems to be a sensitive issue, and I get that people have been turned off by the mishandling of the Order in later titles (myself included). Although to be fair, it was really only present in Origins and Homecoming. Both SHSM and Downpour chose to ditch the cult stuff completely for more character driven stories, so it's not like the post-SH4 developers have been squeezing turds on the Order in every single game.

I belong to those in the fandom who feels like there can't be Silent Hill without the Order and all the mythological aspects surrounding religion, demonology, occultism, etc. I mean even SH2 featured it albeit to a less prominent degree (it was all still there as evident by the Rebirth ending).

So for all that it's worth - Sure, let's start fresh with a new story, but stay rooted in what made Silent Hill work in the first place. Otherwise it's just a story about a haunted town with ghosts and monsters. Silent Hill deserves more than that kind of "mainstreamish" simplicity.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

NanayaShiki wrote: 16 May 2022 I've seen some speculation that the post-it notes and text surrounding her isn't her internal dialogue but that she's channeling outside thoughts of some kind.
I thought it was a symbol for social media. Her life journey is a trail of posts.
Adrasteia
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Adrasteia »

Honestly, I was intrigued as I watched this bit with the girl, but any sense of solemnity or taking it seriously, appreciating me some excellent horror and so forth, was absolutely smashed to bits as her face fell off, and I began cackling like a maniacal hobgoblin at her evidently miraculous jaw-length brain. I know I’d have some seriously weird problems if I kept gargling with brain tissue every time I tried to chew or drink something. Or blow my nose. Or yawn.