Bloober rumoured to be remaking SH2…

Everything we know - and don't know, I guess - about all those Silent Hill rumours.

Moderator: Moderators

Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Bloober rumoured to be remaking SH2…

Post by Vixx »

https://www.eurogamer.net/silent-hill-2 ... at-bloober

I’ve spoken to a couple of my sources and they’re not convinced this is happening. Who knows tho. As I’ve said before, Konami likes money and SH2 would sell a shit ton…

ETA: Yes, it's definitely happening... 👀
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Re: Bloober rumoured to be remaking SH2…

Post by Jonipoon »

I mean, SH2 is great and all, but wouldn't it make more sense to remake SH1 first? The only reason I see them remaking SH2 first is because it's the more popular fan favorite that everyone knows, and because they can use f***ing Pyramid Head as much as they want.

Hopefully they'll reconsider remaking SH1 if this one is a success.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Droo

Post by Droo »

They may consider 1 having already been "remade" with Shattered Memories.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

I was hoping for a remake of 1 too, though I do think it's fantastic as is. I also think a remake of 4 would be really nice. Remaking 2 does kind of feel like a cash grab though, if true.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

From what I can tell both sources have said that they can't confirm this is happening and it's just something they've heard in passing.

If it is true... this is not something I'm particularly interested in. SH2 is as good as it is because of a delicate balance of elements that I'm not convinced Bloober can do justice.
I would give it a try of course but eh.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Remaking SH 2 first sounds like something a publisher like Konami would do.

There were rumors of an MGS3 remake as well.

So sounds like the publisher is betting on doing the fan-favorite games first.

Like they looked at what Capcom did with RE2 Remake, forgetting the old RE1 Remake, but consider the more modern 3rd person Remake the proper way to go. They also had Twin Snakes remake of MGS1, but it seems they want to re-enyer the market in a big way so they are choosing the biggest most well received games.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

This rumor is a dud:

https://www.gameinformer.com/summer-gam ... -next-year

I for one am relieved. If there's any game in the series that doesn't need a reimagining, it's 2.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Nah. They've been said to have been working on another Layers of Fear for awhile before the SH2 rumors started. The Konami/Bloober partnership was also officially announced recently, so whatever they are doing with Konami has only recently begun.

It does suggest, however, that previous statements of theirs regarding remakes and not doing the same thing over again, were referring to this new Layers of Fear game which is kind of a redux of the previous games, and therefore had nothing to do with SH2 as was speculated.
TheEyeofNight
Just Passing Through

Post by TheEyeofNight »

SH1 could benefit the most from a remake, that's for sure. That being said, Konami know SH2 is the most popular, and when you're trying to rejuvenate a long dormant franchise, I can understand why this would seem like the logical choice to them.

I'm sort of morbidly curious about this, if it proves to be true. Part of me has always wanted to see SH2's environments and enemies in modern graphics.
Though I can't help wondering if we'll see an HD Collection-esque backlash from certain fans when they inevitably don't bring back Guy, Dave, Monica, etc.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think a lot of the fans who were upset about the recasting in the HD collection were upset because a remaster should remain nearly identical to the original game in every way besides visual improvements. Most people would realize that a remake is a different scenario and would likely include a new voice cast.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

SH1 is definitely the game that would benefit most from a remake. It is a simpler story and cast. Comparatively it could be done cheaply and even Bloober could pull it off well enough. Ideally they change nothing. Just put a fresh coat of paint over the graphics and have multiple camera/control options.

-Traditional fixed camera and tank controls.
-Third person camera and modern controls.
-Mixed directed fixed/third person camera and modern controls.

Should be simple enough to implement in SH1.

It deserved it.

Though unless the key original members are back for a sequel, I also favor Kojima's Silent Hills where the franchise is rebooted with its own new canon and concepts. So we'd get an all-new SH1.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

DuskGolem said the following in the context of a Bloober SH game:
I kinda' don't want to confirm or deny the leaks I didn't post, what I will say is there's something about the leaks outside of myself I'm really pissed off about, and rightfully so I think, but talking about it specifically may give out a bit too much, which isn't what I want at this point. I'll probably talk about it once stuff is properly out there though, it's a bit of drama is all I'll say for now.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-si ... t-91509336

It seems that DuskG does not want to confirm or deny that Bloober is remaking SH2.

It is possible, I think, that maybe, just maybe, Bloober's game is related to, or a follow-up of events in SH2?

So potentially it is an original game with some relation to one of SH2's characters? Or... you go through the events of SH2 from one of the other character's perspectives? Or it is a 'Shattered Memories' style take on SH2?
Droo

Post by Droo »

Well, if it's a sequel only a few characters are possibly still alive.

James
Maria
Laura
Mrs. Orosco

They're the only ones it could potentially follow up on directly.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

Droo wrote: 13 Aug 2022 Well, if it's a sequel only a few characters are possibly still alive.

James
Maria
Laura
Mrs. Orosco

They're the only ones it could potentially follow up on directly.
I wouldn't mind something with a grown up Laura though I don't know how they'd go about addressing what happened to James.

jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Doubt they'd use James. His fate is better left up to the player, determined by the endings.

Angela is technically a possibility. We don't see her die.

A game running concurrently alongside the same time as the events of SH2 could take place where we follow her route to the town, then in the town encountering James, and possibly Laura, and Eddie, (I don't think Maria is possible) and then some time after her final encounter with James on the staircase.

I'm not keen on the idea least it contradict something and Angela's story is thematically there to support James'. But it would be interesting.

Technically, you could have multiple endings where Angela's story could end on the stairway, or continue past it depending on certain triggers. Maybe there is a happier ending for her driven by player decisions that is not necessarily the true ending, much like James' options, yet the main SH2 story moments are still intact.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Ooh, a peek at Laura's adult life could be pretty interesting, actually!
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I'd wonder if part of Bloober's deal with Konami, assuming a SH2 connection, was to bring Owaku on board, either as a writer/consultant. Maybe he is one of the creative staff members DuskG mentioned?

https://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 22#p697222
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Vixx wrote: 14 Aug 2022Ooh, a peek at Laura's adult life could be pretty interesting, actually!
It'd be funny if that eventually happens considering that's what Elle in Homecoming was supposed to be originally.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I wouldn't mind something with a grown up Laura though I don't know how they'd go about addressing what happened to James.<
Well, Silent Hill 4: The Room already addressed James. Frank, his father, says he disappeared.

It could be interesting to have a story that follows Laura looking for James, though. In all but the Leave ending, he basically skips town without her and she's left to go back to the orphanage. No way any writer would do that, however, because it would confirm an ending as canon, and that's just not how this works.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

The Adversary wrote: 14 Aug 2022 >I wouldn't mind something with a grown up Laura though I don't know how they'd go about addressing what happened to James.<
Well, Silent Hill 4: The Room already addressed James. Frank, his father, says he disappeared.
It worked in SH4 though because it leaves all the endings possible and it makes sense that Frank wouldn't know the full details. With Laura, it would be weird for her not to mention James' fate at all, since she was there at the same time in Silent Hill. Unless they did something weird like make your decisions with her determine what ending happened in SH2 and have her open up about what happened later in the game.