TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Everything we know - and don't know, I guess - about all those Silent Hill rumours.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Re: TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Post by Droo »

I'll take it if that was actually the catalyst for all this. I don't adore Gans' original film but if we are getting all this content from a dead franchise because of him? Mad props.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Avith
Just Passing Through

Post by Avith »

I am very happy that Ito and Yamaoka are back.... but why on a remake?? They already made a masterfull work with SH2, and now they have to work on it again? They should have be chosen to work on the new and fresh "Silent Hill: f" title.

As for SIlent Hill 2 remake, the dissonant presentation and "weird" feeling and atmosphere that the original had is gone here, now it looks overdramatic, from the voice acting, the facial expressions, hell even the sound design, the graphics are very good tho.

Gans doing SH2 movie, I am just waiting for him to change characters as he did for SH1 and be like "When reading the background and lines of Maria I realized... this is a man! So we changed her to be a masculine character, I feel it will also connect with today's audiences."

Anyway, I am exited and worried for SH.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Anyone know of this? Might clue us in on Ascension.
https://www.genvidtech.com/example-mile ... last-mile/

The CEO in on Era saying stuff.
Thank you! I recognize the concept is confusing but that's because it has never been done before. We have one storyline that will be canon and the decisions made by the audience day by day, encounter by encounter, will define who lives and who dies. As I noted in the other thread there are a lot of ex-Telltale at our company who have been dreaming of these kind of designs for years because when we lock the story branch based on decisions, it is now canon. Which means your input actually matters. (If you watched Yahtzee's review of the Quarry a few weeks ago he was complaining that decisions never seem to matter in interactive narrative games because you can always reset. Here, you can't.)

Yes, we call it a "Massively Interactive Live Event" or MILE. In MILEs the story period is self contained. Our Walking Dead MILE, in Act 3 right now, is an 18 week event. More information next year including the platforms we'll be on.

Think of it like the audience is deciding the story. When it's done, you have the story. There are going to be a lot of alternate storylines and endings and next year we'll talk about how we unlock those.

In our Walking Dead project which is live right now, you can see the past decisions, you can play all the past activities/minigames, and you can see the results. But you can't change the canon outcome.

Yeah we're still debating how we want to surface it (non-canon choices/endings) but for every 60 minutes of content we create, there are 15 minutes of alternative within that that won't be shown, but we want to let you unlock it somehow since we put the work into it. We are considering a "What If" arc in between seasons, but this is still TBD.

Most decisions have 24-72 hours available prior to live on it so you can participate without needing to be there at that exact moment.

Multi-platform, we'll announce the platforms next year.

We work very closely with the Konami team for lore, visuals, creatures, characters, even the words we use in the marketing materials.

(On the possibility of Konami corporate getting lore details wrong occassionally). I'm not disagreeing with you, but as a licensor of the IP, they have final say.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/silent ... t-95165223
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

Avith wrote: 20 Oct 2022 As for SIlent Hill 2 remake, the dissonant presentation and "weird" feeling and atmosphere that the original had is gone here, now it looks overdramatic, from the voice acting, the facial expressions, hell even the sound design, the graphics are very good tho.
I agree. I couldn't quite pin down the word I was looking for with how James acts in the original, but someone on Twitter I saw worded it perfectly: he's dissociative. I've been in traumatic situations myself where I've dissociated. I've also reacted to trauma in a more visible way like he seems to be doing in the remake. So I'm all for different interpretations of SH2, but the way he reacts to things in the original felt more unique and impactful to me, I don't know. I'm hoping he comes across as more nuanced throughout the game.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

That description from the CEO re: Ascension… good grief. One’d be hard pressed to articulate the whole idea in a way that appealed less to me. I’m clearly not the target audience, but yikes.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Well, the theme of isolation hasn't exactly been the strongest aspect of the Western-developed games. Both Homecoming, Shattered Memories and Downpour gave the impression that the town was filled with lots of people. Origins probably came the closest with evoking that sense of isolation.

Ascension just feels like going against everything that Silent Hill stands for. But hey, at least they have a Pyramid Head-ish monster, right?
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Speaking of, when do you think the upcoming games will be released? I thought these games had been in development for years but it turns out all of them are in the early stages of development, including the SH2 remake. I definitely don't want these games to be rushed out, but at the same time I don't want to wait an additional 2-3 years (or even longer!).

Besides Ascension which has a set release date of spring 2023, the rest are simply listed as TBA. Knowing Konami however, I think these games will have a shorter development cycle compared to industry standards. They will be rushed out, and they won't be up to today's AAA standards. You may call me pessismistic but I'm just speaking from experience.

EDIT: Oops, sorry for double post.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The fact the SH2 Remake has a store page already leads me to believe it will be a late spring release at the latest.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Lifetolifeless wrote: 20 Oct 2022 That description from the CEO re: Ascension… good grief. One’d be hard pressed to articulate the whole idea in a way that appealed less to me. I’m clearly not the target audience, but yikes.
See, personally that description increased my interest in Ascension.

It's nice that there's something coming for everyone, even if particular projects may not resonate for all.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

leftshoe18 wrote: 20 Oct 2022 The fact the SH2 Remake has a store page already leads me to believe it will be a late spring release at the latest.
If that's the case, we should expect an actual gameplay trailer before the end of the year.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Jonipoon wrote: 20 Oct 2022
leftshoe18 wrote: 20 Oct 2022 The fact the SH2 Remake has a store page already leads me to believe it will be a late spring release at the latest.
If that's the case, we should expect an actual gameplay trailer before the end of the year.
I'm hoping the whole game has the level of polish that the "James exiting the restroom" moment had. The seamless transition from indoors to outside, the wind rustling the flyers on the pole, the way his car looked absolutely spot on. That moment took my breath away.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think we're going to get some Silent Hill stuff at TGA this year. Gameplay trailer for 2 would be likely there. We also have the mystery of The Short Message which has been rated by the Korean ratings board. If that's a PT-like short game as rumored we could see that there as well.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

Droo wrote: 20 Oct 2022
Lifetolifeless wrote: 20 Oct 2022 That description from the CEO re: Ascension… good grief. One’d be hard pressed to articulate the whole idea in a way that appealed less to me. I’m clearly not the target audience, but yikes.
See, personally that description increased my interest in Ascension.

It's nice that there's something coming for everyone, even if particular projects may not resonate for all.
Yeah, totally fair. Wouldn't take it away from ya if it sounds neat to you! Would love to be wrong about Ascension!

Patience is the darkest side of power.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

So just to keep track of stuff that was rumored that we haven't seen yet.

Sakura - this was supposedly a somewhat stand-alone PT-style teaser to announce new Silent Hill projects. Or used in some way to tie into future Silent Hill projects. It had Masahiro Ito designing a monster based on a cherry blossom concept he tweeted about awhile back. Was supposed to be revealed at Konami's cancelled E3 presentation. The flower connection makes it easy to thematically link up with what we've seen from SHf but we don't actually have any confirmed connection beyond that.

The Short Message - Rated in Korea but nowhere else so far. Nothing is known about this. People assumed it was a new name for Sakura but it's hard to say while neither have manifested.

Japanese Developed Silent Hill - this was a huge part of the rumors prior to yesterday's reveals. Every time the Bloober Team SH2 and Annapurna SH project were mentioned, the leakers also said "and there's a major Silent Hill game being developed in Japan with a Japanese studio". However, nobody ever seemed to know who that studio was. Again, it's easy to assume they were hearing about SHf but despite the Japanese artist and writer, the development studio is not Japanese.

Now, my personal take on all of this is that I think a lot of things have been changing behind the scenes and a lot of these plans have been dropped. I don't think we're going to see Sakura or The Short Message and I don't think there's a secret fourth Silent Hill game going to be announced by the end of the year. There's already way too much going on for that to be true.

I think SHf is the "Japanese Silent Hill" and people were just jumping the gun and assume it was being developed in Japan given all the major staff mentioned for it are from Japan. It's easy to see where the confusion came from here, so I think we can write this one off personally. Meanwhile, I think Sakura and The Short Message were both different attempts to do the PT thing that fell through. I think Sakura was going to be shown off at E3 2021 but when those plans changed it was no longer needed. Whatever The Short Message was, I think it was intended to go along with the Silent Hill reveals at the Sony State of Play that Konami backed out of (according to Vixx's sources, whom I trust).

When watching the SHf trailer it is designed in a way that makes way more sense for a surprise State of Play reveal than a Silent Hill specific stream. You spend most of the trailer not being aware it's a Silent Hill game, it's set in Japan and doesn't look like SH. Then when the name appears the music gets the Silent Hill theme added to it. To me it was clearly put together to be a surprise reveal at a more general event. I can imagine it having some kind of "download The Short Message today" thing at the end, which could have led to more announcements or something.

But since we ended up with a big Silent Hill specific event, they may have deemed those PT-style things unnecessary.

I suppose it's possible they will pop up later in the year but I'm not holding my breath. It just doesn't make sense to me for them to save anything for a later show when they kept backing out of them to finally do their own thing.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

^That's a very well-thought and feasible analysis, Nanaya. I also don't think we're getting more game reveals anytime soon since, frankly, the upcoming period is kind of already oversaturated with enough Silent Hill projects.
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

Jonipoon wrote: 20 Oct 2022 Speaking of, when do you think the upcoming games will be released? I thought these games had been in development for years but it turns out all of them are in the early stages of development, including the SH2 remake. I definitely don't want these games to be rushed out, but at the same time I don't want to wait an additional 2-3 years (or even longer!).

Besides Ascension which has a set release date of spring 2023, the rest are simply listed as TBA. Knowing Konami however, I think these games will have a shorter development cycle compared to industry standards. They will be rushed out, and they won't be up to today's AAA standards. You may call me pessismistic but I'm just speaking from experience.

EDIT: Oops, sorry for double post.
Rofl the fact that behavior is working on Ascension means your spot on. It probably just started development.. Will be shat out in 3 months and then fixed in 3-4 years. Plus since they probably can't charge you for skins/outfits, They'll make every "choice" in the game $15 instead
oO?
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The movie begins shooting next year, assuming 1 year's time between principal photography and release, it'll be out earliest by late 2023, though also likely early 2024. At least we can assume that 2 years of work goes into SH2 remake, they have already hit the ground running, from the behind the scenes footage. Silent Hill 2, in terms of level area covered, it relatively small compared to most other games. A good use of auto-generated asset duplication and hand crafting could get levels done very fast, especially given all the groundwork of the original game is fine, and I expect Bloober will be sticking very close to it. The Game doesn't require complex AI or Sims either.

The move to Unreal V and the PS5 SSD means they can develop very efficiently and quickly, which is what Mark Cerny intended with the high speed SSD. I am optimistic that this could be out sooner than we think.

As for PT/Sakura, the images Dusky leaked obviously had some from Ascension. And the Sakura creature does seem like something more reminiscent of f. It could be old scrapped stuff. But it does indicate that Masahiri Ito was not only involved in SH2.

My guess is that Sony still has deals for all these titles, excepting Ascnesion, which as a live service thing, by nature is better served being multiplatform from day 1. Since Sony is trying to launch a new VR peripheral, Sakura seemed like an experience designed for that, but also playable without it. I think we'll find out in the next two months, depending in when they have their PSVR2 showcase.
Last edited by jdnation on 20 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

jdnation wrote: 20 Oct 2022 The movie begins shooting next year, assuming 1 year's time between principal photography and release, it'll be out earliest by late 2023, though also likely early 2024. At least we can assume that 2 years of work goes into SH2 remake, they have already hit the ground running, from the behind the scenes footage. Silent Hill 2, in terms of level area covered, it relatively small compared to most other games. A good use of auto-generated asset duplication and hand crafting could get levels done very fast, especially given all the groundwork of the original game is fine, and I expect Bloober will be sticking very close to it. The Game doesn't require complex AI or Sims either.

The move to Unreal V and the PS5 SSD means they can develop very efficiently and quickly, which is what Mark Cerny intended with the high speed SSD. I am optimistic that this could be out sooner than we think.
I've been using UE5 myself a little bit and it's a huge improvement from UE4, so I'm also confident that this will be out rather soon.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I just realized that despite expecting them, no NFTs were announced yesterday. Which seems a small miracle.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

> As for PT/Sakura, the images Dusky leaked obviously had some from Ascension. And the Sakura creature does seem like something more reminiscent of f. It could be old scrapped stuff. But it does indicate that Masahiri Ito was not only involved in SH2.

I have a feeling that Sakura/Short Message was/is intended to be a tease of the whole era and so could have some elements from multiple projects.