TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Everything we know - and don't know, I guess - about all those Silent Hill rumours.

Moderator: Moderators

Caim
Historical Society Historian

Re: TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Post by Caim »

Ok so I just watched the Townfall trailer at 0.25x speed and I think it's Silent Hill 1 related. The dude said to watch the trailer again for anything we might have missed. Anyhoot, I saw a couple of images of a burned body, so maybe it's Alessa. The "coming here to be punished" line makes me wonder if it's something else. If that's the case, and the dude at the end is Harry Mason, he's giving me Idris Elba vibes.

I may have missed what he's talking about, so someone else feel free to give it a shot. Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRDHM2zqE0
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Thanks for the link Yuki!
Yuki wrote: 19 Oct 2022 I'm VERY interested honestly. Wary of the SH2 stuff and I doubt it'll be particularly faithful (MAYBE parts of the remake since Yamaoka and Ito are on board), but I'm interested to see what they try.
I'm kinda disappointed that this is the project they're attached to because...what are they gonna do? Slightly tweak the designs of the monsters and the soundtrack?

The trailer for SH: Townfall was really well done, I agree. Let's see how that one turns out.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I'm going to have a lot to say in the threads for what WAS announced.

But it's also interesting what WASN'T announced. Despite the similarities, Silent Hill f does not seem to have any direct relation to Sakura as we knew it from the 2021 leaks. It's very possible that a shift in development there is what caused all the delays as Masahiro Ito is not involved and there seems to be no demo or playable teaser.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Genvid's CEO posts over at ResetEra, in case anyone is interested! They've mentioned some of the stuff about Ascension. https://www.resetera.com/threads/silent ... t-95162493
silentevil1989
Just Passing Through

Post by silentevil1989 »

Holy cow, there will be not 2, but 4 games if you count the interactive/ARG thing! I don't know what to say, so hyped man. I know Bloober Team games have been hit or miss, but I don't another studio that could do more Justice to SH2 than them.

And the "f" in the last title announced stands for "6" or for "floral/flower"?
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

To me the most interesting thing from the presentation is that it sounds like Gans wanting to work on a new movie was the driving force towards all of these games being put in development.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I honestly have no faith in Townfall or Ascension whatsoever. The remake of Silent Hill 2 looks promising, but I'm cautiously optimistic. None of the studios behind these games are known for high quality, so it could go both ways. And the fact that the new movie turned out to be yet another adaptation of Silent Hill 2 was kind of disappointing since I was expecting an original story.

Silent Hill F might be the only saving grace in all of this.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

Jonipoon wrote: 19 Oct 2022 None of the studios behind these games are known for high quality
No Code (studio behind Townfall) has a pretty solid track record.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I am a little disappointed that we're getting two adaptations of Silent Hill 2 in such close proximity.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

leftshoe18 wrote: 19 Oct 2022 I am a little disappointed that we're getting two adaptations of Silent Hill 2 in such close proximity.
Agreed. Even after all of this is said and done, I'm still heartbroken by the fact that Silent Hill 1 has been completely ignored for the sake of Silent Hill 2.

While I'm fully aware that it's a higher risk for Konami to remake SH1, and SH2 is obviously the safest financial bet, it's still so..... sad.

Even after 21 years, we can't move past Silent Hill 2. I'm still waiting for the day when we get a Western game studio behind these games whose favorite game in the series is NOT Silent Hill 2.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Caim wrote: 19 Oct 2022 Ok so I just watched the Townfall trailer at 0.25x speed and I think it's Silent Hill 1 related.
I can see that. All the technology and cars on the CRTV look to be from the '80s, as well. Maybe the original SILENT HILL actually is getting remade without actually announcing it as such.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Alright, first impressions...

Silent Hill 2 Remake

I did not like that trailer. Very off tonally from what I think of the game. Maybe it is just repurposing something Bloober made quickly from some pitch footage. Some parts look cool, like James walking down a street, but I imagine myself in the shoes of the guy pitching this as to what I would want to convey by a remake of Silent Hill 2, and this was NOT it. There were some pivotal scenes in there and they didn't look good. This demonstrates that they can't even do the nostalgia right. I won't write the whole thing off based on this and it's definitely still early, but that was not a good first impression to me.

Silent Hill: Townfall

Now that is a good title! The teaser was also leagues better and more interesting in its entirety than Bloober's. We Don't know much, but I've got a good feeling for this one.

Silent Hill f

Looks like this is the Japanese SH, and literally is taking place in Japan. Technically the main team is from Taiwan. Neoboards has typically been a support studio and has worked on a lot of Resident Evil stuff, including the recent Remakes and other Capcom stuff. I look forward to more. But if this is all they are showing us, then, likely this is still very early in development.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... esistance/

Silent Hill Ascension

I haven't even seen much of this, but I already dislike it and feel this is the new Book of Memories in the making. This screams 'Live-Service' from the JJ Abrams school of making-things-up-as-we-go according to measuring audience reaction feedback. The worst way to make movies and TV shows is now here for games! Test audience screenings aren't inherently bad, but they are a tool that needs to be suitably used, and not the sort of thing that upholds artistic merit on its own. There is no vision here. This is essentially a thing for streaming. "You help make up the canon now!" Don't like it? Well, it's your fault, you voted for this! Lol, F**k off! :lol: As I figured, that title name is so cliche, I should've figured it came right out of Hollywood town! :roll:

Return to Silent Hill

Speaking of Hollywood, so it seems that Gans is finally doing what he initially wanted to do. Adapt Silent Hill 2. And with the world being put under government lockdown and health scare paranoia, there is certainly a lot Gans could capitalize on for commentary. The interviews were ho-hum standard over-repetitive stuff we are used to getting from PR of this sort, but I like that we got to see storyboards and concept art. I'm looking forward to this, and I hope the final product will be in 3-D. Either shot (doubtful, due to expense), or a good conversion under director supervision. The last good 3D films were Blade Runner 2049 and Dune part 1. Silent Hill Revelation was in 3D and it was better for it, but the movie wasn't good.

One thing that concerns me is that it really feels like Konami only got off their behinds and started assembling new SH projects because Hadida and Gans called them. I get this feeling that this SH2 remake is only happening because of the movie, and that they are going to rush it out the door in time for the film's release. That's the overall impression I get from this whole show. All these projects are still early in development. Unless there are more dedicated streams planned, but we'll see.

Now some other disappointments...

Ito at least seems to only be involved in SH2. But we know he designed a Sakura creature, but that seems to be for Ascension? Though, Dusky could have been mixing pictures up from f as well? That one was definitely more flowery, more closer to Last of Us creatures. Maybe some of the other SH crew are working on f, but as it stands there is no Japanese team as such.

Also, looks like there is no PT demo. That project is Ascension, and is definitely episodic. Maybe the first chapter is what's planned to be free. Heck it could also be a F2P multiplayer thing. Konami hasn't yet told us how it will be monetized, but I'm leaning towards the episodic chapter model, that or look forward to buying health potion packs.

Also... what is 'The Short Message'? Mysteries abound...

Anyway, it's nice to have confirmations that these things are happening. Konami, of course, picked the most Japanese corporate put-together way of doing this, but it was okay. I just wish there was more meat on these bones after this long.

So f and Townfall are what I'm looking forward to. I'm cautious for SH2. I don't care about Ascension, but I'll check in to see what you guys think. And I am optimistic for Gans' next film. So 3 outta 5 ain't bad.
Last edited by jdnation on 19 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Wait, so you're telling me that the developers behind Silent Hill f are the same people that made Resident Evil: Resistance?

Jesus. Konami sure knows how to pick the "best" studios for their Silent Hill games.
silentevil1989
Just Passing Through

Post by silentevil1989 »

Jonipoon wrote: 19 Oct 2022
leftshoe18 wrote: 19 Oct 2022 I am a little disappointed that we're getting two adaptations of Silent Hill 2 in such close proximity.
Agreed. Even after all of this is said and done, I'm still heartbroken by the fact that Silent Hill 1 has been completely ignored for the sake of Silent Hill 2.

While I'm fully aware that it's a higher risk for Konami to remake SH1, and SH2 is obviously the safest financial bet, it's still so..... sad.

Even after 21 years, we can't move past Silent Hill 2. I'm still waiting for the day when we get a Western game studio behind these games whose favorite game in the series is NOT Silent Hill 2.
Couldn't have said better myself, SH1 is the one who needs a remake the most. I also understand that Konami needed a safer bet, and if that's what was needed to compensate the risk of Townfall and "f", then be it, but I'm still sad nevertheless.

Between the 3 games announced, if you exclude the online interactive thing which did not convince me, SH2 remake is the one I'm least inrerested in. The SH f game is definitely the most intriguing project imho.
Wigeke

Post by Wigeke »

Jonipoon wrote: 19 Oct 2022 Wait, so you're telling me that the developers behind Silent Hill f are the same people that made Resident Evil: Resistance?

Jesus. Konami sure knows how to pick the "best" studios for their Silent Hill games.
From what I understand they also put work in 7 and the 2 and 3 remakes.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Wigeke wrote: 19 Oct 2022From what I understand they also put work in 7 and the 2 and 3 remakes.
Not that I know of. 7 and RE2 remake were developed in-house by Capcom, while the RE3 remake was developed both in-house and with help from K2 Inc, M-Two, and Redworks.
Wigeke

Post by Wigeke »

Jonipoon wrote: 19 Oct 2022
Wigeke wrote: 19 Oct 2022From what I understand they also put work in 7 and the 2 and 3 remakes.
Not that I know of. 7 and RE2 remake were developed in-house by Capcom, while the RE3 remake was developed both in-house and with help from K2 Inc, M-Two, and Redworks.
It's on their site, but looking at it more closely it seems that they only put work in the next-gen versions of them.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Wigeke wrote: 19 Oct 2022
Jonipoon wrote: 19 Oct 2022 Wait, so you're telling me that the developers behind Silent Hill f are the same people that made Resident Evil: Resistance?

From what I understand they also put work in 7 and the 2 and 3 remakes.
Yes, they made some of the Resi Evil multiplayer games, ports of various Capcom HD collections from Onimusha, Devil May Cry, and also helped on 2 and 3 RE Remakes. Largely a small support studio.

The only thing is that they mentioned a well known Japanese visual novel writer attached to the project. So I'm wondering if this is a visual novel too, one primarily for the Japanese market... :?

Anyway, we also know that Konami doesn't understand live-streaming. I had to switch to IGN after it had already started because Konami's official "stream" was just pixellated fog and they just uploaded a video...

-------

Also I'm wondering now if The Short Note is a PSVR2 title, held back for the eventual Sony VR event.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

From what I understand, NeoBards are the developers in that they're literally just developing the game itself. Dusk Golem made it sound like they're basically doing the piecework, with the creative team being headed by the Umineko author. Though they've mostly only done visual novels. I doubt they'd make Silent Hill f into one, even with the writer's horror history.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Short Message is just a localized version of the Ascension title or something. Did we see it trademarked or anything anywhere, or just in South Korea?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Couldn't have said better myself, SH1 is the one who needs a remake the most.<

Well it seems Gans was the impetus for this entire revival happening, and I’m guessing it’s because he wanted to make a film version of SILENT HILL 2. So to appeal to that, Konami opted to remake that game rather than the first as a tie-in, and then finally begin creating new content additionally.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.