TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Everything we know - and don't know, I guess - about all those Silent Hill rumours.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Re: TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Post by jdnation »

Given the smogasboard of stuff from RE4 and FFXVI dropping today, rumors of Sony possibly abandoning a potential showcase due to trying to make a case against Microsoft's acquisition of ActiBliz might be true.

No platforms are announced for Townfall or f, but my guess is that they too may have a period of exclusivity to PS. f is also likely PS5-only. Townfall could be cross gen.

So far, only Ascension has a confirmed year of release for 2023, likely making it the first one to release. Townfall may also release before SH2. f will be the last, after SH2. Likely by late 2024.

I'm assuming:
Ascension - Summer 2023 episodic + Ongoing
Townfall - Winter 2023
Return to Silent Hill - In theaters Spring 2024
SH2R - Summer 2024
f - Winter 2024

It is likely Konami could also announce other new products too if they are getting as many pitches as they claimed. I imagine at least a couple for mobile, around the film's release.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I think SH2R will be 2023.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I can't imagine Silent Hill 2 - which already has store pages - is going to release any later than the first half of 2023.
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

Yeah, from the way they worded things it seems that Townfall is very early on development, can't see it being released sooner than SH2R which already has plenty of in game footage out there.
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

I really do hope we get release dates soon.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
Caim

Post by Caim »

Droo wrote: 20 Oct 2022 I just realized that despite expecting them, no NFTs were announced yesterday. Which seems a small miracle.
As far as marketing stuff goes, we actually did quite well. At least all of the merch is tangible, unlike NFTs. Those Silent Hill 1 and 4 decks are pretty slick, and the Shiba coin bank made me actually throw my head back in laughter.
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Caim wrote: 21 Oct 2022As far as marketing stuff goes, we actually did quite well. At least all of the merch is tangible, unlike NFTs. Those Silent Hill 1 and 4 decks are pretty slick, and the Shiba coin bank made me actually throw my head back in laughter.
Now all we need is a re-release of SH1-4 on modern platforms.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

What did I miss?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

NanayaShiki wrote: 20 Oct 2022 Japanese Developed Silent Hill - this was a huge part of the rumors prior to yesterday's reveals. Every time the Bloober Team SH2 and Annapurna SH project were mentioned, the leakers also said "and there's a major Silent Hill game being developed in Japan with a Japanese studio". However, nobody ever seemed to know who that studio was. Again, it's easy to assume they were hearing about SHf but despite the Japanese artist and writer, the development studio is not Japanese.
In fairness, I don't think we're supposed to take NeoBards developing it as "they're in charge of the game." From what leakers have said and some more context I've seen, it sounds like "prominent Japanese studio" might have legitimately referred to the creative team on the game. From what I'd read, it looked like NeoBards is doing the lifting on the actual day-to-day development more than anything else.
Now, my personal take on all of this is that I think a lot of things have been changing behind the scenes and a lot of these plans have been dropped. I don't think we're going to see Sakura or The Short Message and I don't think there's a secret fourth Silent Hill game going to be announced by the end of the year. There's already way too much going on for that to be true.

I think SHf is the "Japanese Silent Hill" and people were just jumping the gun and assume it was being developed in Japan given all the major staff mentioned for it are from Japan. It's easy to see where the confusion came from here, so I think we can write this one off personally. Meanwhile, I think Sakura and The Short Message were both different attempts to do the PT thing that fell through. I think Sakura was going to be shown off at E3 2021 but when those plans changed it was no longer needed. Whatever The Short Message was, I think it was intended to go along with the Silent Hill reveals at the Sony State of Play that Konami backed out of (according to Vixx's sources, whom I trust).
FWIW, Dusk Golem also said there was more stuff that wasn't announced in the Transmission. He made it sound like it was less "plans changed' and more that they were holding back other reveals for later on. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it is changed plans or localized names, but for instance, Townfall might be part of a larger short-form anthology SH series.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Yuki wrote: 21 Oct 2022
NanayaShiki wrote: 20 Oct 2022 Japanese Developed Silent Hill - this was a huge part of the rumors prior to yesterday's reveals. Every time the Bloober Team SH2 and Annapurna SH project were mentioned, the leakers also said "and there's a major Silent Hill game being developed in Japan with a Japanese studio". However, nobody ever seemed to know who that studio was. Again, it's easy to assume they were hearing about SHf but despite the Japanese artist and writer, the development studio is not Japanese.
In fairness, I don't think we're supposed to take NeoBards developing it as "they're in charge of the game." From what leakers have said and some more context I've seen, it sounds like "prominent Japanese studio" might have legitimately referred to the creative team on the game. From what I'd read, it looked like NeoBards is doing the lifting on the actual day-to-day development more than anything else.
I mean, the day to day development ARE the developers. Like, we consider Vatra the developers of Downpour even though non-Vatra staff did the story and whatnot. It's kind of the same situation here. The game director is from NeoBards.
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

tbonesays wrote: 21 Oct 2022 What did I miss?
Nothing to see here officer.... /Whistles innocently
oO?
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

My release date guesses are tied in to the idea that Konami wants SH2R released around the same time as the movie. But there will be some leeway as game development is a technically different matter, but definitely sometime soon after. The earliest the film could debut is winter 2023. But rule of thumb is 1 year after principle photography for editing/VFX etc. So it is more likely 2024.

Townfall, I'm guessing is a significantly smaller game, more in line with Anapurna's other output. Indy in the truest sense. Looking like a mix of live action too. Probably best judged according to NoCode's previous offerings. Observation is put at around 6-7 hours to complete. My guess is that Townfall could clock in at about 10 hours average playtime in scope. This is why I think there is a chance it'll be out before SH2R.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I don't think RTSS and SH2R are tied together for release time.

Each will act as a massive spoiler for the other. Is suspect they will want the remake out first.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

jdnation wrote: 21 Oct 2022 My release date guesses are tied in to the idea that Konami wants SH2R released around the same time as the movie. But there will be some leeway as game development is a technically different matter, but definitely sometime soon after. The earliest the film could debut is winter 2023. But rule of thumb is 1 year after principle photography for editing/VFX etc. So it is more likely 2024.
Horror movies typically have a quicker turnaround from principal photography wrapping up to release. They may very well try to get this thing out by next Halloween. I also really don't think they're going to try to release the two around the same time unless it just happens to line up. It'll end up giving SH2 Remake that "movie-tie-in" feel to at least some of the audience which I would expect they want to avoid.
Townfall, I'm guessing is a significantly smaller game, more in line with Anapurna's other output. Indy in the truest sense. Looking like a mix of live action too. Probably best judged according to NoCode's previous offerings. Observation is put at around 6-7 hours to complete. My guess is that Townfall could clock in at about 10 hours average playtime in scope. This is why I think there is a chance it'll be out before SH2R.
A 6-10 hour experience would actually put that right in line with traditional Silent Hill games so I'd be more than happy with that length. I'm super excited that we have so much Silent Hill on the horizon.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

My thinking is that Konami would rather ride the wave of movie marketing. The game may not be there at the movie's release, but they'll certainly be aiming for as close as possible. Of course, this does depend on whether or not the game is ready to ship, if not, it'll be delayed if necessary and it's in a state they can't just patch, but I'm feeling sure they are giving themselves that timeframe to coordinate with the film release as best as possible whilst also not screwing up their SH relaunch with a shoddy release.

The studio will also aim to release the film in the most ideal window. If they miss Halloween, they'll likely wait for the early 2024 timeframe. Doubt they'll compete with whatever big films release around November-Dec. The first movie released in April. Revelation was in October. Those are both the ideal months that want to avoid the Summer and Winter crowded cinema for big release films.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Bump - surprising news is that SH2 has been in dev since 2019

Mod edit: malicious website warning. Link removed.

That is older than this thread!

Was it the rumored 'soft reboot'? Was F the adventure game?

Anyway, I'll have to revise my thinking, very likely this will be out in 2023, though I still think they will time it's release with the movie, which could also be out in 2023.
Wigeke

Post by Wigeke »

I think they were just waiting for Capcom to announce the release date for RE4make before committing to any specific date.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Wigeke wrote: 24 Oct 2022 I think they were just waiting for Capcom to announce the release date for RE4make before committing to any specific date.
They did that the day after.
Wigeke

Post by Wigeke »

NanayaShiki wrote: 24 Oct 2022
Wigeke wrote: 24 Oct 2022 I think they were just waiting for Capcom to announce the release date for RE4make before committing to any specific date.
They did that the day after.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a release date soon now.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Silent Hill 2 is infinitely better than Leon's Wacky European Adventure with Napoleon Cosplay Parasite Dude.
Lives in the mirror"