Interview with DelToro: DelToro and Kojima working together

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Interview with DelToro: DelToro and Kojima working together

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

According to an interview with Del Toro, he and Hideo Kojima are working on a project together, though it's not Silent Hills.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/ ... n=Blogroll

Hopefully, if it's a game, it is a horror game that is somewhat familiar yet is also largely original. Although Deadly Premonition is a poor example, it shows that some games tend to employ similar tropes, possibly without infringing.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Re: Interview with DelToro: DelToro and Kojima working toget

Post by jdnation »

Nice to know, though not really a confirmation that anything concrete is going on. But here's hoping...

Here's your chance Sony... gotta do something to top this E3's announcements for next year. :P
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
No Kickstarter! :evil:
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

That's good news. I was looking forward to Silent Hills and its potential of reviving the series and bringing in a new fan base. Though this won't be an installment to the Silent Hill franchise, I do look forward to the possibility of being introduced to a new horror franchise.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

I'm OK with this, I was curious to see what they would have made together. Neither of them are favourites of mine, but I think they're both ambitious enough to make something at least interesting.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Hopefully they're working on a FPS, possibly the next COD.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

With pages of console-specific DLC.

80% crowdfunded, too. With some of that DLC locked out for limited-number high-dinero donors.

That'd be so great. :)

And this is my 5000th post... hooray.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^I'd preorder that, as long as the dlc was also on disc, so i have to pay to unlock part of the game i already own.

5000 post? you nerd!
no i'm not hating because i'm still not even at 4000 post

Also, i'm sure whatever they release will be interesting if they get something out, hopefully it is horror. I'd be interested to see what they can do together. They could call it the hills that are silent, or TP.
Droo

Post by Droo »

To be fair, at least 2000 of those posts were just him arguing with Nanaya. :P

I'm curious to see what they come up with, assuming it ever actually happens. Del Toro hasn't had great luck getting any of his games to come out.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Just conjecture on my part, but it could be a survival horror game (hopefully not a horror simulator, but that's just my opinion. Have Nothing against horror simulators). PT was popular and a lot of people were anticipating SHS and Kojima really seemed to be into making something different. As to what the game could be about, I don't know. DelToro liked the Psycho Mantis part of Metal Gear. As for setting, who knows ( I wish someone would make a horror game set in London in the late 70s but that's just me). As for what they could do, the Mega Man/Mighty Number 9 route is possible (Doubtful that the title sounds anything like PT, SH, SHS, or their antonyms or synonyms. It will likely be a completely new name as I see them being more creative than that). I have a pretty good grasp of copyrights, at least when it comes to writing books. Neil Gaiman did the magic school theme before JK Rowling (and shared similar motifs and themes). Since I agree with jdnation, I hope Sony is listening.

I know that when writing a book, it's possible to have similar motifs to another book as long as there is no copying the other book's expression of ideas or no copying word for word. Of course, even if you don't infringe or plagiarize, you could be called out by critics and readers for a lack of creativity. It all might be different for video games, though. JK Rowling was once accused of plagiarizing from a 30 pg books, but I think the case was thrown out in her favor. Similar motifs but I guess the expression wasn't too similar and her work was far greater in scope. The one thing working against Kojima is that he worked for Konami, so the expressions of his ideas would have to be "new."

I'm just excited over the possibilities, especially when considering that WWE 2K16 will probably have some setbacks due to the recent news (yes I like wrestling games, especially the create modes). It's as though there's some kind of cosmic give and take. Hopefully, Dragon Quest XI gets announced for the PS4 and doesn't affect the FF7 remake or Kojima and del Toro's collaboration on whatever they're working on. :)

Oh yeah and the third time's a charm. Or is it fourth in delToro's case?
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Droo wrote:To be fair, at least 2000 of those posts were just him arguing with Nanaya. :P
I wanna say, "That's not truuuue!"

... But you're right. :lol:
SPRINGS02 wrote:^I'd preorder that, as long as the dlc was also on disc, so i have to pay to unlock part of the game i already own.
See, that is the magic of videogames. :)

Like I said before (probably in the whole "Is MS buying SH" thread), the biggest problem with Silent Hill is that it's called "Silent Hill," so maybe something new and interesting could be cooked up if del Toro and Kojima are freed from the brand?

Just off the top of my head, a Kojima-esque Spanish Civil War-themed horror game would be an instant preorder, for me.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

DelToro said in interviews that he doesn't want to make videogames anymore. However, according to Playboy, he said if he made another game it would probably bring about WWIII, so I think he was being facetious. He did state he could be involved in making games, at long as he's not the one responsible making it. It kind of sounds like he is being vague on purpose. Maybe he didn't want to let the proverbial cat out of the bag and backtracked a little. We will probably know after September 1, or whenever Kojima's obligations to Konami ends. I will try to be cautiously optimistic.

As for what would make a good setting for a horror game, imagine a game set in Europe in the 70s-80s. Instead of focusing on a small town, what about something larger? Who said a horror game has to be held mainly in one location?
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Postcode »

It's cool if they're still doing something together, but it's not Silent Hill so my excitement is lessened.
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

I would love for them to make a new horror IP. Something really mind fuckery and unsettling.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Seems to be another story from Del Toro that suggests that whatever Kojima and Del Toro may be doing, Del Toro seems finished with video games.

GUILLERMO DEL TORO VOWS NEVER TO WORK ON A VIDEO GAME AGAIN
http://www.shacknews.com/article/90801/ ... ideo-games

Seems a bit much really given another opportunity may come their way, but it's highly unlikely at the moment.

Though who knows? Maybe he'll change his mind and contradict this later. Or maybe he was just exaggerating? I dunno what to think...

UPDATE: Never mind, Shack news is simply repeating the Playboy story:
Correction: Originally this story erroneously referred to Del Toro's statements as an exclusive interview. His comments had been previously given to Playboy. Shacknews regrets the error.

So according to a recent IGN article Kojima and Del Toro may still do something together but it's not necessarily video games or not necessaily involving Del Toro so much in a video game.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

jdnation wrote:Seems to be another story from Del Toro that suggests that whatever Kojima and Del Toro may be doing, Del Toro seems finished with video games.

GUILLERMO DEL TORO VOWS NEVER TO WORK ON A VIDEO GAME AGAIN
http://www.shacknews.com/article/90801/ ... ideo-games

Seems a bit much really given another opportunity may come their way, but it's highly unlikely at the moment.
Does nobody understand sarcasm?

Almost every comment I'm reading regarding his statements are taking them as full on facts. They're jokes, people.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Yeah I think he's being facetious.

Update: There's a rumour that the Chinese corporation Tencent is interested in hiring Kojima to make games. Tencent is gigantic though is not exactly known for making games for consoles. Who knows how limiting they would be on Kojima?

http://gearnuke.com/chinas-tencent-plan ... eo-kojima/

Wow I can't wait to play Hilent Sills on my mobile phone. :/
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Tencent has their fingers in a lot of pies. For example they own 40% of EPIC Games who puts out the UnReal Engine. Have a 25% stake in Activision Blizzard and also Riot Games.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/26/4560994/who-is-tencent

It's possible they could invest in an independent studio for Kojima or are themselves interested in starting their own or like Epic, Activision and Riot, would contribute to shares of a future new Kojima Studio.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Yeah it's also possible they might want to open up a new console development team. Either that or make his new studio as a branch off of Activision. I could imagine him making a new horror IP as I think he might want to lay off of making MG type games for the time being. Just as long as the hypothetical new horror game doesn't have too many similar story beats to Silent Hills, PT or the Silent Hill series in general. I don't know if he could get away with making, say, a game like IGA's Bloodstained when compared to Castlevania. Maybe DelToro could also be involved eventually in some kind of informal capacity. Of course, this is a bit optimistic.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Del Toro probably wont bother with games anymore, Every time he has tried to get into making a game it goes awry or gets cancelled, that would be enough to put people off putting their valuable time into something..

He has indeed officially stated that he doesn't want to get into another Game again, he may change his mind but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't. I feel bad for the guy as I feel he's been treated unfairly by a fickle industry, but that's life unfortunately. He always comes across as such a nice guy as well.

I wish they had never announced Silent Hills in the first place.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

Tencent doesn't really develop the games themselves though and they have a parent company. They own a minority share in EPIC where the two guys who do own have 52% of the stock to essentially make every decision anyway. Riot they do own but they only do League in a big way. They own about 11% of ActivisionBlizzard which they got when they helped Activision Blizzard buy 63% of the total stock when they broke away from Vivendi. That didn't include the additional stock that AB bought from Vivendi the following year. IE they don't make any decisions whatsoever there either.

Long story short, I doubt they got much going for Kojima either.