Bassett tweeted...

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

resevil80
Just Passing Through

Re: Bassett tweeted...

Post by resevil80 »

JKristine35 wrote:Bassett intentionally lied to the fans repeatedly during the film's production. Because of that, he deserves the insults. If he had just made a bad film, that would be different. But he both made a bad film and lied to get people to pay money to see something that was nothing like he claimed it to be. He insulted the fans first.

I'm sure the commentary will be him trying to explain away his 80 bazillion retcons with a bunch of nonsense. :roll:
How about we actually wait and see what he says in the commentary before getting all pissy about everything...
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

From what I remember, JKristine loved the first movie loudest among anyone on this board.

It's natural that JKristine's anger and sense of betrayal would also be the loudest of anyone on this board.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Kenji wrote:From what I remember, JKristine loved the first movie loudest among anyone on this board.

It's natural that JKristine's anger and sense of betrayal would also be the loudest of anyone on this board.
Trust me, I know....Doesn't change the fact that people should actually wait and see if what the man has to say makes any sense or not.....
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

But resevil80, if we did that, the thread would die! D:
HammeringInMyHead
Just Passing Through

Post by HammeringInMyHead »

hopefully he'll explain why he was only given half the budget from the first film but was urged to deliver an obviously comercial film.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Nobody 'deserves' any insults, and what you might, in your paranoid way, perceive as bare-faced, malevolent lying, was more likely either indecision or business.

I know some of you people think you OWN this series, but it's up to the creators of the games, movies, whatever else, to do whatever they damn well want with them, you... we.. are no more than the people who pay the ticket price in return for being distracted for a while. If we didn't enjoy what was put out, then they don't make as much money off of us and we move on to watch or play something else. We don't own or control (or deserve to own or control) anything about the series any more than we did when the first game was conceived by Team Silent. If we don't like it, we can go find something else to like. Sitting around and crying and shouting about how it's not going the way we personally want, and insulting the creators (that makes us the destructors, by the way) is all kinds of pathetic.

Either you like it, or you don't. If the latter, whoop-de-fucking-doo, let us know what you didn't care for about it, but do not go around insulting people who have achieved more than you could ever dream of.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Grow up, Distant. He did lie. That's a fact. So you don't have a problem with him lying and changing around the continuity of the film universe, good for you. Attacking and flaming other forum members for disagreeing with you won't get you anywhere.
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

JKristine35 wrote:Grow up, Distant. He did lie. That's a fact. So you don't have a problem with him lying and changing around the continuity of the film universe, good for you. Attacking and flaming other forum members for disagreeing with you won't get you anywhere.
I smell butthurt.

I think we should all just CHILL THE FUCK OUT!

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 80-800.jpg
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

DistantJ wrote:I know some of you people think you OWN this series, but it's up to the creators of the games, movies, whatever else, to do whatever they damn well want with them, you... we.. are no more than the people who pay the ticket price in return for being distracted for a while.
Thou hast hit it, but you're ignoring who actually has the power in this relationship in deference to some kind of lofty auteur theory.

Yeah, we pay the ticket and we buy the games: We pay their bills. It follows that, if they wanna keep their jobs, they had damn well better work their asses off to please us. We are under no obligation to support their decisions if they don't please us (and anyone who thinks they are is a fool or delusional), and they will suffer if they pursue their rainbows at our enjoyment's expense.

So, yes, it's our damn series and we own it, precisely because we have the power to destroy it (not unrelated to a state's legitimacy being drawn from popular consent). Though, in the movie's case, it's more general than the games fandom (and should be). The question is whether the people were generally satisfied. If yes, good. If no, then that's a problem for everyone involved.
Droo

Post by Droo »

This had better not escalate any further. Keep it civil. it's just a stupid movie.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Sith_Dreamer wrote:Maybe it'll be 90 minutes of Bassett apologizing.
You win!
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I think a lot of the blame is being misdirected at the director. Sure he may have had a part in how the movie turned out, but I'm sure there was a lot of intervention by the studio/producers, just like in the first movie ( I would have liked to have seen an all female cast, but there ya go).
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Revelation was an independent film, so there was no studio involved. Bassett has stated in interviews that the only two people who had any say about the film's final cut were himself and Hadida.
Lighthouse
Just Passing Through

Post by Lighthouse »

Sith_Dreamer wrote:Maybe it'll be 90 minutes of Bassett apologizing.
No really, I rarely type "LOL" but you literally made me laugh out loud. Congrats.
Only played Silent Hill 1 so far,Kaufmann is a badass...can't say the same for his sidequest...
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

JKristine35 wrote:Revelation was an independent film, so there was no studio involved. Bassett has stated in interviews that the only two people who had any say about the film's final cut were himself and Hadida.
Could you cite one, please? I've not seen that yet.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There’s no fight with the studio because there is no studio. At one point I asked him who needed to approve the footage and he told me “It’s me and you. If we like it, that’s okay.”
Source: http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/16 ... -3d-for-us
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Hadida still had to come up with that money from somewhere, and those people assuredly asked questions like "How long is it going to be."
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

I find it hard to believe Don Carmody sat this one out.....
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

JKristine35 wrote:Revelation was an independent film, so there was no studio involved. Bassett has stated in interviews that the only two people who had any say about the film's final cut were himself and Hadida.
This could be true, but as tbone pointed out, he had to have gotten the money from somewhere. A sum of 30 or so million dollars doesn't just come out of someone's rear. Some group of people outside of the director surely had some say on how the movie was ran, or else Mr. Bassett is blowing smoke out his ass. Though, I'm not defending the guy as he was still the director/writer and surely could have done better.

(Just gonna point out that I didn't hate the movie, but I'm aware it could have been much better.)
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

You're correct that investors do have power, but not usually enough to change an entire movie around. The only thing in Revelation that really looked like it was not Bassett's decision was Vincent's relationship with Heather. I highly doubt anyone insisted that Bassett retcon a bunch of the first film, which is my main gripe about Revelation (that, and the lack of atmosphere and ridiculous "scares").