Ending & Setting up for sequel [SPOILERS].

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: Ending & Setting up for sequel [SPOILERS].

Post by Yuki »

tbonesays wrote:
resevil80 wrote:The reason he had a special fondness for Downpour is because he was allowed to go watch them work on the game and meet with development team....He's stated a few times that he is still in the process of playing through the game.
He tried to rush through it in 90 minutes and he missed all the subtleties
What on earth are you talking about? The quote in question is about Bassett playing Downpour.
DrBjerkov
Just Passing Through

Post by DrBjerkov »

As far as I know, Travis' experience in his game was his only time encountering the monsters. He had actually been through the town itself and never encountered any problems, up until the time his game takes place. So, that means it is completely possible for Grady to have been in Silent Hill, making a supplies run to another town from his trucking companies depot. As for the Downpour reference, here's the first thing i thought:

"Murphy, you do realize that Heather just destroyed the evil in that town ri- Murphy, stop. No, stop Murph! DON'T GO IN THERE!!! YOU'RE GONNA RUIN ALL OF HEATHER'S HARD WO-good job, genius. You messed up. Again. You disappoint me."
Let's blow some heads... off...
mikezilla2
Just Passing Through

Post by mikezilla2 »

considering how this film did we wont see a new one for some time ?
globalwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by globalwolf »

mikezilla2 wrote:considering how this film did we wont see a new one for some time ?
Eh, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a direct to video sequel. Of course, that's more of a fear than a hope.

Silent Hill: Ultra Revelation HD 3D: The Reckoning

I think they make you watch that, somewhere in hell.
DrBjerkov
Just Passing Through

Post by DrBjerkov »

It wasn't that bad, i mean, the only thing i didn't like was the straight forwardedness of the movie.
globalwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by globalwolf »

DrBjerkov wrote:It wasn't that bad, i mean, the only thing i didn't like was the straight forwardedness of the movie.
The straight forwardness? I mean, I can kind of see that, in that there aren't too many twists in the plot. Still, if you're not familiar with the video game, I can't imagine that this movie isn't a special kind of confusing normally reserved for Mandarin pronunciation and puzzle boxes that unleash Cenobites.
DrBjerkov
Just Passing Through

Post by DrBjerkov »

Oh, no, no. I am definitly familiar with the silent hill series. I've been a fan since SH:2. But i actually liked the movie, and as long as i tdoesnt get WORSE, like the resident evil series after extinction, i would love a sequel.
globalwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by globalwolf »

DrBjerkov wrote:Oh, no, no. I am definitly familiar with the silent hill series. I've been a fan since SH:2. But i actually liked the movie, and as long as i tdoesnt get WORSE, like the resident evil series after extinction, i would love a sequel.
Knowing the video game series, I understood the movie. I'm just noting that, if all someone knew regarding Silent Hill came from the first film, they would probably be left more confused than a cat put in a washing machine with a St. Bernard.

Revelation wasn't the worst possible movie (yes, it was contrived and cheesy, but video game movies, excepting a handful including the first SH, do tend to be). Still, confusion ruins what goodness it does have. If I had been a studio executive, I wouldn't have let the script get further than a first draft with details like the random appearance of the Seal of Metatron, the retcon of the cult's motivation, etc. The fact that they did doesn't make me think they have a lot of hope for the series.

So, if they make a third movie? Unfortunately, it's more likely than not to be a low budget film with no advertising campaign destined for the bargain bin. The best case scenario is that they give it to the SyFy channel (yes, I know, but really) and let someone there make a movie out of it that, while crafted on a low budget, at least respects the source material and has a chance to please at least fans of the series. Otherwise, it's going to be a gore-filled quasi-action movie that goes straight to the Wal-Mart bargain bin with no fanfare.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

globalwolf wrote:
DrBjerkov wrote:Oh, no, no. I am definitly familiar with the silent hill series. I've been a fan since SH:2. But i actually liked the movie, and as long as i tdoesnt get WORSE, like the resident evil series after extinction, i would love a sequel.
Knowing the video game series, I understood the movie. I'm just noting that, if all someone knew regarding Silent Hill came from the first film, they would probably be left more confused than a cat put in a washing machine with a St. Bernard.

Revelation wasn't the worst possible movie (yes, it was contrived and cheesy, but video game movies, excepting a handful including the first SH, do tend to be). Still, confusion ruins what goodness it does have. If I had been a studio executive, I wouldn't have let the script get further than a first draft with details like the random appearance of the Seal of Metatron, the retcon of the cult's motivation, etc. The fact that they did doesn't make me think they have a lot of hope for the series.

So, if they make a third movie? Unfortunately, it's more likely than not to be a low budget film with no advertising campaign destined for the bargain bin. The best case scenario is that they give it to the SyFy channel (yes, I know, but really) and let someone there make a movie out of it that, while crafted on a low budget, at least respects the source material and has a chance to please at least fans of the series. Otherwise, it's going to be a gore-filled quasi-action movie that goes straight to the Wal-Mart bargain bin with no fanfare.
If SHR had shown scenes of Rose finding the magic seal, Christabella arguing with Claudia over the birth of the god, the origin of PH etc. then it wouldn't feel so disjointed. Instead they had Rose and Vincent say it, techinically in dialogue but mostly just narrating into the camera. Show don't tell of course.
globalwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by globalwolf »

tbonesays wrote: If SHR had shown scenes of Rose finding the magic seal, Christabella arguing with Claudia over the birth of the god, the origin of PH etc. then it wouldn't feel so disjointed. Instead they had Rose and Vincent say it, techinically in dialogue but mostly just narrating into the camera. Show don't tell of course.
Yeah...I mean, there shouldn't even be a temptation to tell rather than show in a movie. If there is, you're doing something wrong. The "lecture" given to the protagonist near the end of the first film involves a little bit too much telling, but at least it's given over a video flashback.

I don't hate the inclusion of Pyramid Head in both movies, honestly. I understand that, in the second game, he represented James' guilt. Still, even there he's established as a figure from the history of the town. The idea that he can't be in any other material seems to be forcing him into the role he played in that game without any room for him functioning as an executioner under different circumstances. Still, there were so many more subtle ways to go about it.
Becky-Jolene-1995
Just Passing Through

Post by Becky-Jolene-1995 »

I thought the movie was excellent.

In the end when Harry gives up and decides to stay behind and look for his wife was really touching.

Hopefully they will make another movie!