The future of Silent Hill films?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Re: The future of Silent Hill films?

Post by phantomess »

I'd really, really prefer Gans to come back than Bassett. I'd also like the next one to be less cult-heavy. Other than that, I don't really have any demands. Except I want a decent-lengthed, decently paced film with characters that stick around for more than 3 seconds.

Edit: First on the page! Woo! :mrgreen:
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I think I would like to see an approach like that taken by American Horror Story, with each season having a new start with a new location and events. But maybe that is because I have kinda fallen in love with American Horror Story.

Silent Hill practically begs to be an anthology series. The first two games indicated that it could find tremendous success following this approach. The more time goes on, the more I despise the third game and its attempt to create a single continuity that the entire series has to fit within.

I'm talking about the games more here, but this would be fine for a movie, too. Or better still, a TV series.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Ryantology wrote:I think I would like to see an approach like that taken by American Horror Story, with each season having a new start with a new location and events. But maybe that is because I have kinda fallen in love with American Horror Story.
Finally. Somebody else who loves this show! I know I'm off topic, haha.
Silent Hill practically begs to be an anthology series. The first two games indicated that it could find tremendous success following this approach. The more time goes on, the more I despise the third game and its attempt to create a single continuity that the entire series has to fit within.

I'm talking about the games more here, but this would be fine for a movie, too. Or better still, a TV series.
I'm not sure how well it would work out as a TV series. However, the one thing I like about Bassett's film was that it deliberately opened up the concept of having completely original stories in the film universe, which is has gotten me excited about the next film (if there's going to be one).
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Droo wrote: Perhaps an approach like the Bond movies would be appropriate. Recurring elements without any strict devotion to continuity.
The longer I'm in this fanbase, the more I agree with this idea.
I mean, I love the cult--resist the urge to flame, I'm not done yet--I love how delightfully sinister they are. I also love the town itself, all those familiar locations and the events that happened therein. But they don't necessarily have to be huge plot points to still make an impact or be recognizable.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I think that the next film should be free from having to be stricly tied to the Alessa theme of the games/first two movies. Obviously this movie had to be what it was in order to expand on the first, but now that it's (sorta) been tied up, we can move on and explore other aspects of the town and its lore.

In terms of adaptations, I think that The Room would be a great option as the game actually had movie-like aspects to it and it was able to have a large cast of characters without any of them feeling useless or pointless. Of course, I'd love to see a proper SH 2 adaptation bu I feel that any writer would miss the point entirely and turn it to poop. At least with TR they could play with it a bit without destroying the essence of what it is.

In terms of directors, I strongly feel that both Gans and MJB should collaborate for the sequel. Yes this may sound ludicrous to some and I'm quite sure will never happen, but they both quite clearly have their strengths that could complement the other's to make something really worthy.

I just hope we don't have to wait another six years for another sequel if there is to be one.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Unless the movie does well overseas, of course. And considering how big the market for 3D flicks is worldwide, I'd say it has a better shot than it did in the US. That's not to say that I want it to succeed though.

And I'll reiterate: I really think the film series should end with Revelations. But if they do decide to make another film, I really don't want either director back. Gans was clearly passionate about the franchise, but he seemed to only really understand the series on a superficial level. And Bassett is a hack. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Gans in a heartbeat. But really the best scenario would be for somebody new to take over. Somebody with talent.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Numb Body01 wrote:Don't expect one:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3553
The weekend isn't even over yet lol.

And we really have to take into account how well it will do worldwide as that really is a deciding factor. Also, SHR had a smaller budget than the first and therefore doens't have to do extremely well to make a profit. Then again, I might just be optimistic but that's my take.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

KoRn_Child wrote:Bassett is a hack.
No, no he isn't. I've seen his other films.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Read the article - analysts are expecting less than $10 million by the end of the weekend (when most movies make the bulk of their money). The film cost £20 million (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=silenthill2.htm) and as most films spent the same amount on the production budget as they do on the marketing budget SH:R needs to make $40 million during its worldwide run to break even, let alone turn a profit. Coupled with the piss poor critical reception I’d say a sequel is highly unlikely.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Droo

Post by Droo »

Yeah, stick a fork in it. It's done.

Come on high profile Kojima SH sequel. The franchise really needs a hit.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

KiramidHead wrote:
KoRn_Child wrote:Bassett is a hack.
No, no he isn't. I've seen his other films.
I saw Solomon Kane. I stand by my original assessment.
Droo wrote:Yeah, stick a fork in it. It's done.

Either that or a full-on reboot. Either way, Hulett needs to not be involved
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

KoRn_Child wrote:

Or it should possibly rest in peace and then Konami or basically anyone could try and start a new original series about subjective realities and stuff.
We are still here...
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I don't think the movies will or even can affect the games, other than attracting new fans. A reboot? Game wise? I wouldn't mind that but I'd rather they took their time to continue doing stuff unrelated to the original story a la SH2/Downpour rather than go back and do the Alessa stuff all over again.

As for the box office turnover for this film, you guys forget a lot of stuff. Many horror films don't make back their budget on opening weekend and yet get sequels, because this genre in particular sells a lot of DVDs.

You also have to realise that this one still isn't out outside of the US, it debuts here in the UK on Wednseday, Halloween night. I think there's a lot more in the film yet. I can't say the reviews are the cause because horror movies always receive negative reviews and audiences know this, and I can't say it's the online reaction as it seems to be split 50/50 between people who are elated with it and people who despise it, and both sides seem equally passionate.

A lot of people wait until Halloween night to watch the big October horror flick too; it's very early days to be looking at sales figures.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

I don't mean so much that a reboot is needed because of the lore. It's because of basically everything else. I really liked Downpour, but it bombed hard. As did Homecoming. Shattered Memories sold okay, but not enough to be considered a significant hit. And let's not forget that the butchered HD Collection and Book of what-the-fuck-were-they-thinking Memories damaged the brand as well. So outside of a new Silent Hill by Kojima, they'd need a pretty significant reboot to get people's attention again. Either that, or downloadable XBLA and PSN games. But I really hope that doesn't happen.
Droo

Post by Droo »

KoRn_Child wrote:

What the hell does Hulett have to do with the second film?
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Droo wrote:
KoRn_Child wrote:

What the hell does Hulett have to do with the second film?
The same thing that Kojima does?

That being said, Hulett > Kojima. I hope Hulett stays with the games as long as possible.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Ah, I thought he meant that Hulett was involved with Revelation in some way.
Lives in the mirror"
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Wait, no love for Sam Barlow? He's the one who gave us Shattered Memories! I'd like to see what he and Hulett can write together, aside from another reimagining.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Barlow may have been responsible for Shattered Memories' plot, but he was also responsible for Origins'. The jury is out on how he would do next time.
Lives in the mirror"