I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, too!)

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Did You Enjoy It?

Yes
23%
It Had It's Good and Bad Points
35%
No
42%

Total votes: 144

Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Re: I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, t

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

I Hated this movie. I mean, and I'll never say this about any movie not even the first one, but I was legitimately embarrassed by this film. Now, before anyone decides to tell me "well, that's your opinion" or "You're just being stupid because you're a fan of the games" blahblahfuckyoublah. Not just embarrassed as a fan, but also as person that knows how to write a story and knows what good story telling is. For a movie that's supposed to "answer" questions and "Fix" whatever "problems" the first movie made, BOY did it just miss the mark with plot-holes bigger than the ones in The Dark Knight Rises. And no, I won't tell you what those stupid holes are because if you didn't see them, no matter how obvious they are then sadly you probably enjoyed this movie. This movie......
....I suffer from migraines. Bad ones...and I've got to say, I haven't had migraines as bad as the ones this movie gave me. Ever....I just can't believe they actually released this...I just...I'm almost at a loss for words as to how, terrible this movie is from not only a story telling stand point, but also as a movie.

The acting (besides Sean Bean, he's badass in everything) was horrendous. The dialogue, was, for the most part, just a copy and paste job by the screen writers to appease anyone that complained about the first movie for "Not being like the game". I mean, sure, I never liked what they did in the first movie, what was changed and added in, but at least they tried to ground it into some form of reality. That way that anyone who isn't savy with any of the games can at least get a sense as to what the big deal was. It did, in the very least, serve as a good introduction to the games. Most of everything in the movie was just explaining shit. Now, I haven't played SH in a while but I certainly don't remember everyone explaining things EVERY. FIVE. MINUTES. Not to mention, they would say "Silent Hill" at almost the end of EVERY SENTENCE. I'm serious, you can probably count the number of times it's said and it would probably reach to 200 before the halfway mark.

....I promise, I can go one for hours, I mean hours talking about what was wrong with this movie, believe me. I bored my ex to death and annoyed the shit out of her, because I needed someone to vent to about it and she was tired of me talking about it after the second day. I'm dead serious....I just...It's bad...really, really bad....
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
AyaKara
Just Passing Through

Post by AyaKara »

Hello everyone! I haven't posted here since I was theorizing about Downpour last year, so Happy New Year to all of you. I finally got around to watching Revelation today & I'm at a loss for words. I was never one of the nitpick-y fans, but god.

The first movie was amazing in my opinion, regardless of the weird ending confrontation. This one, on the other hand, was full of references to be relevant (in my opinion), & then crammed the story into an hour. It felt like Silent Hill -- aesthetically it was -- but it just was not Silent Hill. Not to mention that the ending confrontation looked like a Power Rangers scene.

They could've been more faithful to the story while connecting it to the SH1 movie. The acting was not that great in my opinion, & the script needed work. A lot of things were too blatant -- some were treating the non-fan audience as if they were stupid, which is unfair.

At least they played
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Rain of Brass Petals in the credits
(speaking of the music, it was wonderful). I'm glad that they tried, & I liked some of the direction that they took:
Vincent undergoing that interesting ritual that could've had a great place in the games is a great example
But,
Douglas' death right at the beginning, Claudia having too little screen-time, & Rose's story not being explored unlike what we were lead to believe with previews & promo over the past two years
Ruined a lot of the film.

I'll still be looking forward to the next one because I'm not the type to give up on something artistic that I love when it disappoints me, but I am wishing that they handled this a little better. I think SH2 would be an easier movie to adapt for screenplay, though I would love to see Shattered Memories, SH4, or Downpour -- let's hope that they head in one of those directions.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

So it leaked and I finally saw it.

Rating: 0.5/5

One of the worst Hollywood films I've ever seen and most certainly the worst film of 2012. Review will be split into two:

Purely taken as a horror film SH:R is a total and utter failure. The film is rushed, cannot build a sense of atmosphere or suspense to save its life, the editing and sound mix are awful, the script and acting are often hilariously bad, the soundtrack was unbearably cheap and middle of the road, the story is convoluted and makes little sense and the special effects are woeful.

This is not to mention the ending which was is so anticlimactic and stupid I was almost shocked at how terrible it was. The only saving grace was some of the sets and practical effects/visual ideas (even if they're terribly executed).

Looking at the film as an adaptation of a Silent Hill game, it is also utter shite. Choosing to adapt the third game in the series was a terrible decision as it has worst story of the original four games and the attempts to retcon the first movie/game are terrible. Some characters are changed completely (I'm looking at you, Vincent) whilst others are simply terribly portrayed.

Not a single monster from the game makes an appearance and the creepy and weird tone is completely missing. Even the odd nod to the series's mythology comes off as cheap and distracting. The only surprise was that the film follows the games locations beat for beat (save the sewer) and it was enjoyable to hear Yamaoka's soundtrack on the screen.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not a single monster from the game makes an appearance
um...Pyramid Head? The nurses? Lol.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Postcode »

Pyramid Head isn't in 3 though! ;)
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

I'll give you the nurses, fair enough, but that's only one. None which are exclusive to the third game either.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Actually not even the nurses, considering they are heavily based off of the bobble head nurses from SH2, so you get 3 SH2 monsters in this adaptation of SH3, yet no monsters from SH3..
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Claudia was the Missionary(although Retooled to have a different meaning for SHR) and The Spider-Mannequin has a nod to the Splitworm...Plus, its a mannequin...Leonard is also in the movie.....
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

All reworked and very different to the point of being unrecognizable though. The creatures from SH2 didn't get that treatment. The creatures in Revelations were more or less slight nods than actual representations.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Flashbacks to 2006 when people whined about the first movie not having enough original monsters...
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I wasn't one of them. lol Plus, the monsters that are original in Revelations were poor to me. I loved the Janitor, and the Grey Children were too different for me to consider them a creature from the game.
I wasn't complaining so much as confused by the lack of at least 1 SH3 monster, though it would have been nice to see one on screen.
In another way though, it wouldn't have mattered considering each creature only had between 5 to 40 seconds of screen time anyway. Just like the first movie.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Twilight - that was hardly my biggest complaint. Are you picking a fight just for the hell of it here or do you actually wish to defend the film (if so, good luck).
ThnAddHaley
Just Passing Through

Post by ThnAddHaley »

It just really hurt my feelings that I didn't like this movie. :( Like many, when I saw the first movie I didn't like it...Because I was too busy comparing it to the game rather than what it actually was. Now that I've re-watched Silent Hill, I think it's an amazing movie for what it is. Story and all.

But this movie....This movie right here. I didn't compare it to SH3, I took it for what it was. Hell, I even appreciated some of the changes they made... I don't know how to put it in to words exactly. The movie felt extremely rushed.
Like how Heather and Vincent were suddenly all lovey dovey after meeting each other only hours earlier.
There was no development for me. It also bothered me how such huge characters in the game were around for maybe a scene or two in the movie. I guess that's me comparing it to the game, but
they made Claudia and Leonard such huge deals and they were both played by such great actors just to be thrown away in like 2 minutes.

Also...Why make "Alessa" important if
they're just going to hug it out and then it's over?
I dunno. Maybe I'm being too hard, but this movie seemed like a big ole $$$CASHIN$$$ to me. I'll give it a 5/10. It was pretty average.
"My nightly bloodlust was over-flowing into my days. I feel lethal, on the ferge of frenzy. My mask of Sanity is about to slip."

--Patrick Bateman.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Also...Why make "Alessa" important if they're just going to hug it out and then it's over?
Because Heather was basically merging with her missing half. Her acceptance of Alessa without resorting to violence demonstrated that the loving, humane side, (Heather) was stronger. Using violence would've probably resulted in Alessa's victory.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

I can imagine people complaining about Heather fighting Dark Alessa and people saying it was over the top and not what Silent Hill is about....Sometimes you just can't win.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

^No, that nitpicky detail was reserved for the Pokémon battle at the end of the film. I mean, that was awesome and all, but it just oozed fanservice.

Not that fanservice is always a BAD thing, but when it comes at the expense of plot coherence and a good movie, it ends up just screwing us over.

That said, TEAM PYRAMID HEAD GO! ^-^
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

All that said, I don't think the complaints about faithfulness directed at the first movie equate to the ones directed at this movie. The first movie attempts to mix various elements of the overall series while keeping the first game as a central thread ('cause I mean, it was the first movie, it wasn't a guaranteed success so I guess they thought ''might as well do the most we can, a sequel isn't secure''). This movie, however, is not only the sequel but also supposed to be based on SH3. It had the opportunity to finally focus carefully on one game only, and it didn't take it. Because aside from how you fix the first movie's ending, I don't see anything else unallowing Bassett to do it.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The first film's ending could easily work with a SH3/SHFilm combination, if enough thought is put into it.
ThnAddHaley
Just Passing Through

Post by ThnAddHaley »

I didn't really think of that until now, Aurora. That makes a lot of sense. But I dunno...Just a hug? :(

Also. I'm curious...Okay. So I'm assuming the Alessa that Heather hugged was the grown up dark soul, right? Did we ever find out what happened to the alive burnt Alessa?
"My nightly bloodlust was over-flowing into my days. I feel lethal, on the ferge of frenzy. My mask of Sanity is about to slip."

--Patrick Bateman.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^No, that nitpicky detail was reserved for the Pokémon battle at the end of the film. I mean, that was awesome and all, but it just oozed fanservice.

Not that fanservice is always a BAD thing, but when it comes at the expense of plot coherence and a good movie, it ends up just screwing us over.

That said, TEAM PYRAMID HEAD GO! ^-^
Either way, I can see people complaining.....They always do....