I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, too!)

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Did You Enjoy It?

Yes
23%
It Had It's Good and Bad Points
35%
No
42%

Total votes: 144

Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here!

Post by Number 7 »

I'm sorry, but this movie was absolutely terrible in almost every way. Bad script and acting, not scary, too fast paced, too much action. And above all, the retconning being done here was unforgivable. It didn't work. There was no way you could reconcile the actions and motivation of the cult in the first movie with the Order in Revelation. Gan's movie wasn't good, but it was at least beautifully shot and slowed down long enough for people to get a sense of what was going on and to develop the characters a little. There was very little character development here because the movie was always too worried about getting to the next scene and the next location and next monster. And the climax was anticlimactic and didn't really make much sense. I have to say I actually agree with IGN's review for once.

In the end they set up a sequel that I hope never happens. I would prefer a reboot or a movie based on the Room to the continuing adventures of Christopher deSilva. I hated how blatant Travis' cameo was, as if a casual audience member cares that much about the trucker giving them a ride. I at least liked the shout out to Downpour at the end, but only the fans would recognize it.

2/10
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

I really liked it! Im pretty picky too!

CON:

Unnecessary Cursing
Lack of normal monsters (Non big) Need actual SH monster
One of the theme music plays in a lot of scenes
Music could have been better
Too short =P
IDK to many "actual people" im just not used to seeing a lot of people in SH
certain bits here and there

PRO
Micheal gets SH
The story of the moive makes sence
Manikin creature was better than I though
Love the SH2, 0 , and downpour reference!

Moive was very good.

7.5/10
HuMaNoId X
Just Passing Through

Post by HuMaNoId X »

I feel horrible for saying this, but they should let the series die already. I know every franchise has gone through some rough patches but Silent Hill hasn't been good since Team Silent was disbanded by Konami. All the games after 4 just lack the same magic and every team that has tackled the franchise just didn't GET what made the games special and so adored by fans. Now we have the movies and sadly that's what most people feel is relevant to the name Silent Hill. One of my friends that saw the movie has never played any of the games, he said the movie was horrible and thought the games story must be bad since its what the movie was based on. I had to sit with him and actually explain the story of SH1 and SH3 to make him understand just how great the games are and NOT let him think this franchise is shit. Now try to do that with every person on earth who sees this movie and thinks this gaming franchise sucks. It just breaks your heart since these games need to be experienced. Not everyone's a video game fan/player, but what if they decide give it a try? They see the games on stores or online and think "well the movie sucked so the games must be awful as well". It just breaks the opportunity for new fans to rise and this is the biggest sin this movie has done. Before I met my girlfriend she never played a SH game. I lend her my PS2 with SH 1-4 and she completely loves them now. Most of the intelligent conversations I've had about the games are with her and she gets it. Try to do that with someone that has seen Revelation and get him/her to play the games.. I bet your in for a loooooooong rant at trying to convince them to play SH 3. This is what infuriates me the most, and I will never get this feeling out of my head.

I know some might think I'm going a little overboard with my comments but when you love a series like Silent Hill, like I know we all do, it hurts. I might just throw down the towel after this awful movie and just keep Team Silent's work as a reminder of how great the series was.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Ryantology wrote:I do agree that Silent Hill: Revelations is a pretty decent adaptation of Silent Hill 3. But, Silent Hill 3 has the worst story in the whole series, so that is not saying a great deal.
Your opinion.
branj70
Just Passing Through

Post by branj70 »

and every review in this thread, including yours, is all opinion. lol. But I do disagree with his opinion on 3 having the worst story of all the games. IMO, I'd have to say the only game that was a let down for me was Shattered Memories because of the ZERO combat thing but I still thought it was alright. As for the cussing, I only heard 'fuck' twice and obviously 'hell' but I didn't think it was too much. I usually get pissy when there's too much cussing in movies but this was ok, IMO
Last edited by branj70 on 27 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
CrypticIdentity wrote:With the rust and all I can't imagine any of the plumbing in either world is great. OF COURSE, THAT'S WHAT VALTIEL'S BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME, with all his valve-turning--TURN ON THE SHOWER. He probably smells rank as hell.
Droo

Post by Droo »

HuMaNoId X wrote:Silent Hill hasn't been good since Team Silent was disbanded by Konami.
Shattered Memories.

Your argument is invalid.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

HuMaNoId X wrote:I feel horrible for saying this, but they should let the series die already. I know every franchise has gone through some rough patches but Silent Hill hasn't been good since Team Silent was disbanded by Konami. All the games after 4 just lack the same magic and every team that has tackled the franchise just didn't GET what made the games special and so adored by fans. Now we have the movies and sadly that's what most people feel is relevant to the name Silent Hill. One of my friends that saw the movie has never played any of the games, he said the movie was horrible and thought the games story must be bad since its what the movie was based on. I had to sit with him and actually explain the story of SH1 and SH3 to make him understand just how great the games are and NOT let him think this franchise is shit. Now try to do that with every person on earth who sees this movie and thinks this gaming franchise sucks. It just breaks your heart since these games need to be experienced. Not everyone's a video game fan/player, but what if they decide give it a try? They see the games on stores or online and think "well the movie sucked so the games must be awful as well". It just breaks the opportunity for new fans to rise and this is the biggest sin this movie has done. Before I met my girlfriend she never played a SH game. I lend her my PS2 with SH 1-4 and she completely loves them now. Most of the intelligent conversations I've had about the games are with her and she gets it. Try to do that with someone that has seen Revelation and get him/her to play the games.. I bet your in for a loooooooong rant at trying to convince them to play SH 3. This is what infuriates me the most, and I will never get this feeling out of my head.

I know some might think I'm going a little overboard with my comments but when you love a series like Silent Hill, like I know we all do, it hurts. I might just throw down the towel after this awful movie and just keep Team Silent's work as a reminder of how great the series was.
The series shouldn't die. I love the series too, but I really do not care what others think of it. Do I recommend it to people? Yeah, but I don't lose sleep over people disinterested in the franchise. I do hate seeing bad things come of the series too, but when I look at the newer games, nothing bad has been made. They just range from good to great, even counting the Almighty God Team Silent games. None are horrible or even bad though. Even if the games are no good to a certain person anymore, it doesn't mean the rest of the fanbase should be left without new material.
Revelations is the biggest fail in the entire series, and I can't blame anyone for hating it even though I personally enjoyed it. Just enjoy what you like of the series and ignore what you don't like. It's as simple as that. I say that for every person with your same mindset, so i'm not trying to point you out or be condescending.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I would say Origins or Downpour are bigger fails than Revelation, but just by a squeak.
Lives in the mirror"
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Droo wrote:I would say Origins or Downpour are bigger fails than Revelation, but just by a squeak.
It's possible to make sense of Origins and Downpour though.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Please just reboot the movie franchise before it becomes worse than this huge mistake of a film.

It was, in my opinion,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
horrible.
Sure, fanservice in the background of every scene, but (to quote Peter Griffin) at what cost?!
Droo

Post by Droo »

Is it? I'm still trying to figure out why Lisa was called to the Sanitarium by Kaufmann to this day.
Lives in the mirror"
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

So, I just got home from seeing it in 3D....And I thought it was better than the first movie....Reasons....Here ya go...

There wasn't a bunch a needless running around town scenes....Seriously, we get it Gans, you played the games....Thanks for padding the runtime....

Creatures were well done...Leonard was pretty damn cool, The Spider was awesome and I loved The Missionary....Nice work, MJB.

It pretty much did everything in its power to be Silent Hill 3 and a sequel to the first movie....I know some people think he retconned some things....I see it differently....Not going into to detail as I don't want to spoil major plot points...

I personally thought the dialogue and the way they handle exposition in Revelations was far above the way they handled it in the first film...I didn't hear one "I think there was a fire here" or "Look, I'm burning" during the entire film...

Acting....Solid....Seriously, compared to the first film, its not even close...There wasn't a single "SILENT HILL! SILENT HILL!" delivered line in the entire movie...

The 3D was really damn solid...and I hate 3D....The ash looked amazing, the fog looked great....The depth that 3D added the movie was amazing...again, nice work MJB...

The nurse scene...worked much better than the thriller scene from the first film...

The ending...Holy Mother of Christ....That was more than I could of ever hoped for....For the record....Pyramid Head was handled perfectly in the movie, and his role was spot on with the first film..

I do have a couple of gripes...The Carousel Scene was kinda rushed, or at least I thought so, and anti-climatic, The Leonard scene was over way to quickly(Really wanted more of his monster form). One scene in the asylum was kind of underwhelming(shot to the head) and I wanted more of the Spider/splitworm monster....

So, I give it an 8/10...Couldn't have asked for much more....MJB.....Thanks for blowing away my expectations.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

resevil80 wrote:I know some people think he retconned some things....I see it differently....Not going into to detail as I don't want to spoil major plot points...
Please explain so. You can use spoiler tags. I'd like to hear your view on what are, to me, unmistakable retcons Basset wrote (if not extremely under-explained "Wait, what?" plot points).
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

I could be wrong on all of these....But Just some things that come to mind...
That Bassett retconned the ending to the first movie....Now, I could have missed something, but Claudia's sect was more or less under ground, hidden away, in Sanctuary...While Christabella was top side, in the Church....So, could it be that they stayed hidden while allowing Christabella and her followers to do the dirty work, leaving them safely tucked away
I the whole Alessa/Heather combining thing....I don't remember him going either way with that, When Rose used the Seal to send her back to the real world....Couldn't that have split them once again?
The Burning.....I don't remember Claudia being at the original burning.....Are they same sect....Two different Sects of the same cult.....Again, Claudia's followers tricking Christabella into doing their dirty work....I'm not sure on this one....lol
I'm probably wrong, mainly because I don't really like the way Gans did a lot of things in the first film....and haven't watched it in awhile....
LuLu
Gravedigger

Post by LuLu »

I enjoyed it. It was fast-paced with hokey moments, but I felt it was a good adaptation of Silent Hill 3.

The problem with both SH movies is that they can never seem to avoid plot holes even with blatant explanations of what's going on. :| But since it's a movie that's 2 hours or less I guess it's difficult to fit everything in.

I loved Adelaide Clemens though. I don't think she did badly at all.
"It's a bit far... but closer than heaven!"
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

I have mixed feelings about it...

I really liked how Heather was handed and the sets used, as well as the locations, and some scenes really felt like SH3.

I had a hard time figuring out what was going on sometimes. I believe there was too much exposition, too many information thrown at the same time.

I disliked pretty much every character (except for Heather and Vincent) were pretty much just cameos appearing just a few onscreen minutes, and of course the retcons.

Anyway I enjoyed the film, it was really well done. Pretty much all I have to say right now
nanook in heaven...
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

resevil80 wrote:I could be wrong on all of these....But Just some things that come to mind...
That Bassett retconned the ending to the first movie....Now, I could have missed something, but Claudia's sect was more or less under ground, hidden away, in Sanctuary...While Christabella was top side, in the Church....So, could it be that they stayed hidden while allowing Christabella and her followers to do the dirty work, leaving them safely tucked away
That seems like a plausible idea. I just don't like how Basset sort of inserted things that fit without prior explanation in the first movie. Seems sloppy to me :|.
resevil80 wrote:
I the whole Alessa/Heather combining thing....I don't remember him going either way with that, When Rose used the Seal to send her back to the real world....Couldn't that have split them once again?
Also a plausible idea, maybe even hinted at with the two halves the Seal of Metatron has. But why is it that Rose didn't leave? Does the Seal only allow one person through? If so, why is it that Alessa was split again?

At this point in the movie, there's just guessing and checking that needs to be done, which most general audiences probably aren't going to do. It almost feels like an ad-lib fill-in-the-blanks kind of game.
resevil80 wrote:
The Burning.....I don't remember Claudia being at the original burning.....Are they same sect....Two different Sects of the same cult.....Again, Claudia's followers tricking Christabella into doing their dirty work....I'm not sure on this one....lol
Bassett on his blog clearly states that the cult is a NEW cult. Now that the movie's released, it seems like he stated this is a new SECT of the OLD cult. In the case of Claudia maybe tricking Christabella into doing their dirty work, a lot of unexplained insertions are done which still seem arbitrary.

Currently I see this as the two main difference between the two cults:

Christabella's Witch-Burning group believes in release from the Darkness through the direct death of the one who has caused it; Alessa.

Claudia's Order of Valtiel believes in using the body that was the origin for the Darkness to become the vessel for their God to come through and cleanse the world from their hell.

Both seem to point at the same thing, just in different ways with the same tool (Alessa).
Yoyoenix91
Just Passing Through

Post by Yoyoenix91 »

I just got back from seeing this movie about an hour ago, and as a person who loves the series, I just have to say that I really liked this movie.

I know that this movie changed and added a lot that wasn't in the original game, but I must commend them for at least trying to explain all of the things that were different.
Pyramid Head isn't just some random addition anymore, he has a purpose.
The switch of names makes sense, since Harry and Heather were on the run.
And my god, some of the lines in this movie were great.

For instance, when Leonard asked "Which Silent Hill?", I giggled in my head.
Or near the end, when Harry said the nightmare will never be over, and that there would be new nightmares all the time.

That being said, I also loved the references to SH2, Origins, and Downpour.
Face it, this movie could have been a lot worse. Since I view the games and the movies as separate canons to begin with I'm satisfied with this film. :)
Last edited by Yoyoenix91 on 27 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking of a signature...
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

"Seems sloppy to me"

And thats how I felt about the first movie. It was very sloppy....Not saying some of what Bassett did wasn't....But I feel like I understood SH:R and what it was going for....With the first movie....I didn't always know where exactly they wanted to go...Did they want to be cryptic....or try to spell everything out...

And I can't help but love all the nods....And I think under the circumstances....Bassett did a good job at adapting Silent Hill 3 and making a sequel....Thats just my two cents...
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

teosoleil wrote:
resevil80 wrote:I could be wrong on all of these....But Just some things that come to mind...
That seems like a plausible idea. I just don't like how Basset sort of inserted things that fit without prior explanation in the first movie. Seems sloppy to me :|.
Not really.
Alessa clearly was not aware that there was another part of the cult in the first movie, which defies all logic and explanation. She has all the powers of a deity, but she can't even find a giant group of people living in the alternate reality that she created? People who she herself would have pulled out of the real world. Bullshit. There's no way she wouldn't have known about them.
As for why Bassett said they were two different cults, the simple answer is: he lied. Just like he lied when he said he wasn't going to retcon the first movie, and that he would clear up Alessa's story.