There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour FAQ

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn
Gravedigger

Re: There's no such thing as stupid questions ... Downpour F

Post by Glenn »

Mephisto wrote:^ When I said stupid, well, it was actually about my question, heh.

Wow, I'm surprised (and quite disappointed) though. I missed every Weeping Bat. Never saw any of them in my first playthrough...
There were always Weeping Bats hanging by an overpass in the area of Silent Hill near the bridge. And there were a lot of them in the caves; maybe there was some gltch for you?
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^ Hell if I know. Quite strange, really.

Well anyway, thanks for all the answers guys.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Weeping Bats are a name given by the old natives of Silent Hill to actual bats that dwell with the caves.
As for the monster, the Weeping Bat(s), I think it's indicative of the horror of being a prisoner.
1. Pale skin = no sunlight.
2. Emaciated = malnutrition
3. They move in a cramped up position, representing the oppressive & claustraphobic nature of being in a prison cell.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Wait a second... The Weeping Bat was this tall and really skinny monster with white and pink tones in it's skin?

Ah, I fought them all. They're not really helpless though. Filthy tricky beasts...

Such name confused everything. I thought they were bat-like creatures just like the ones that you meet in the train ride.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Those were Weeping Bats on the train ride though. :/
I'm pretty sure anyways...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yes, they were Weeping Bats. They're all the same monster.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Did anybody realize that there are books that you can examine in the Centennial Building Library? I saw it on a "let's play" for Downpour just now.
They are all on the book shelves, and you can find which ones are read-able by using the UV light.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

thy_butcher wrote:Did anybody realize that there are books that you can examine in the Centennial Building Library? I saw it on a "let's play" for Downpour just now.
They are all on the book shelves, and you can find which ones are read-able by using the UV light.
I found all of those. They're actually pretty cool.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

thy_butcher wrote:Did anybody realize that there are books that you can examine in the Centennial Building Library? I saw it on a "let's play" for Downpour just now.
Yep. Found 'em on my first play through. They were interesting.

While on the subject of those books, I was wondering what was up with the handwritten numbers found within them. :? I thought they might relate to a puzzle, but when I didn't find a puzzle for them I forgot about them... :? Anyone have any idea what those numbers are/mean?
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

I wondered the same thing! Weird.

I did love how much there was available to read. After I realized I had passed by several books, I just used the UV light for the rest of the game.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Soulless-Shadow wrote:
Yep. Found 'em on my first play through. They were interesting.

While on the subject of those books, I was wondering what was up with the handwritten numbers found within them. :? I thought they might relate to a puzzle, but when I didn't find a puzzle for them I forgot about them... :? Anyone have any idea what those numbers are/mean?
Yeah, on my first playthrough I saw them and wrote all the numbers just in case they were involved in a puzzle. After a while I got skeptical as there were so many, and, needless to say, I went and solved the next puzzle without their help. ha.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Yeah, this was a big sequence of confusion for me, and not in a good way. Thinking the books were part of the three # combination puzzle, I labored over reading them, looking for any clues I could get, writing down the symbols from the pages and everything.

Turns out, like warfare315 said above, I didn't even need them. This left me kinda frustrated, as I went back to read several of the books to try and figure it out. Still, I liked reading those passages. I still don't know if they are just there for exploration value or if they have significance to a side quest or something.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I enjoyed reading the books as well. At least some of them had a direct connection with Murphy. My favorite one talked about bees, and how they pay the greatest price, their own death, if they give in to revenge and sting someone.
Nightmareish Waltzer
Just Passing Through

Post by Nightmareish Waltzer »

Does the game or its promotional material ever give specifics about:

#When Charlie is abducted and killed
#How long Murphy's been in prison
#How long its been since Sewell attacked and incapacitated Frank when Murphy refused to do him in?

The way Anne described it to Murphy gave me the impression it was a good while that she had to watch her father in his vegetative state before she made any decision to try and kill him (Murphy, I mean). According to the wikia (if its to be believed) the events of the presumably take place in 2011, a year before the game's actual release date; would this imply everything prior to the game's actual start is a year or years before then?
There's a hole in the wall. Naturally, the smart and sane thing to do would be to stick your hand inside it or crawl through it.
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

Not sure if there is an official timeline or if anyone has even pieced it together roughly, but I know that Anne mentioned that she watched her father for years in a vegetative state. So I’m guessing it’s been a while. And as far as I know, the maximum penalty for stealing a car, at least here, is 3 years, but considering it was across state lines, possibly meaning a federal case, and that it was a cop car, well, it maybe have been a significantly longer sentence. So it would fit.

I have a few questions of my own. Some of them were addressed a bit in this thread, but I am still confused.
A few people mentioned the heavy symbolism in the final fight, but what was the symbolism of getting electrocuted if you took too long to cut off the life support, if any?

Also, pretend for a minute that the execution ending was cannon, how would it fit in with the facts showing otherwise, such as Frank saying Murphy was only in there for his little joyride. But in the end, he was convicted for both Charlie’s murder and Frank's. So was Napier’s murder an illusion, did it never happen or was it just not Murphy? Or was it just meant to be the bad ending of the game, the ending you shouldn't take too seriously?

And what are everyone's thoughts on Homer, was his name? The homeless guy? Was he real or a figment of Murph's psyche? I didn't finish this side quest, so the answer may be might be right there in-game.

And one more, I think someone (Sewell?) mentions all the work Murph went through to get into same prison as Napier, what was this work, just getting convicted for grand theft auto or something else? Or am I confusing this with Cunningham's speech about the work she had to do to get Murph in her prison?

ETA: Quick, out of game, question, was this game unnaturally dark for anyone? I turned the brightness up on the game all the way and on my TV, and still I couldn't see much. I just watched a few videos of others playing and it seems like their lighting was just fine, so was it just my TV?

Thanks!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't think "For years" was ever mentioned from Anne. I can't find it in any youtube videos of that cutscene, atleast. She mentions the anguish of watching him hooked up to a machine, but we have no time frame for it. It could've been months, or even weeks (my brother-in-law had to pull the plug on his own father after only a few days of being a vegetable just this past Wednesday).
Also, pretend for a minute that the execution ending was cannon, how would it fit in with the facts showing otherwise, such as Frank saying Murphy was only in there for his little joyride. But in the end, he was convicted for both Charlie’s murder and Frank's. So was Napier’s murder an illusion, did it never happen or was it just not Murphy? Or was it just meant to be the bad ending of the game, the ending you shouldn't take too seriously?
Part of the intent with Downpour is that the endings retroactively change Murphy's backstory.
And what are everyone's thoughts on Homer, was his name? The homeless guy? Was he real or a figment of Murph's psyche? I didn't finish this side quest, so the answer may be might be right there in-game.
He dies immediately after finishing his sidequest, and he constantly talks about himself like an animal. I suspected he was a construct, a ghost, or a personified rat. Perhaps he may have even been a spirit of the town, taking on the role of a generic bum.
And one more, I think someone (Sewell?) mentions all the work Murph went through to get into same prison as Napier, what was this work, just getting convicted for grand theft auto or something else? Or am I confusing this with Cunningham's speech about the work she had to do to get Murph in her prison?
The work was the huge stunt Murphy had to do to get arrested, and since it mentions that he stopped after a huge chase on his own volution, he probably tried to organize things so that he was arrested in the same county Napier is jailed in.

It's not really explained however, and I don't think it's really important in the grand scheme.
ETA: Quick, out of game, question, was this game unnaturally dark for anyone? I turned the brightness up on the game all the way and on my TV, and still I couldn't see much. I just watched a few videos of others playing and it seems like their lighting was just fine, so was it just my TV?
It was fine for me. Homecoming, however, was so dark that I had to get a new TV just so I could see the Shepherd's front door. So my TV might be super-mondo awesome in terms of lightning, I've no clue.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

warfare315 wrote: Yeah, on my first playthrough I saw them and wrote all the numbers just in case they were involved in a puzzle. After a while I got skeptical as there were so many, and, needless to say, I went and solved the next puzzle without their help. ha.
Those numbers are made to organize the books in a library. The numbers and letters usually mean Theme, author, year and the name of the book. Sometimes it differs from library to library, though.
It's interesting how every other memo in the Centenial Building have the same kind of numbers, as if Murphy's documents were stored there.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

HarleyQuinnofHate wrote:Not sure if there is an official timeline or if anyone has even pieced it together roughly, but I know that Anne mentioned that she watched her father for years in a vegetative state. So I’m guessing it’s been a while. And as far as I know, the maximum penalty for stealing a car, at least here, is 3 years, but considering it was across state lines, possibly meaning a federal case, and that it was a cop car, well, it maybe have been a significantly longer sentence. So it would fit.
Keep in mind, Murphy's not just serving time for stealing a cruiser anymore. He was (depending on your ending) framed for the murder of a prison guard, which of course carries a much longer sentence. It's really hard to say just how long Murphy's been in prison, but I was also under the impression that it's been a fairly long time. After all, he was on the verge of parole right before Frank was killed (edit: meant to say 'attacked'), but Anne had time to watch him waste away, then come up with her revenge scheme, which probably took a while to implement.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

HeartlessBastard wrote:
warfare315 wrote: Yeah, on my first playthrough I saw them and wrote all the numbers just in case they were involved in a puzzle. After a while I got skeptical as there were so many, and, needless to say, I went and solved the next puzzle without their help. ha.
Those numbers are made to organize the books in a library. The numbers and letters usually mean Theme, author, year and the name of the book. Sometimes it differs from library to library, though.
It's interesting how every other memo in the Centenial Building have the same kind of numbers, as if Murphy's documents were stored there.
If the numbers are used to organize the books, then why are they scrawled inside on random pages and not on the spine of the books? Having them written inside would make it difficult to use if that is their intended purpose. :?
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

Thanks for all the help guys! :)