Bad save system.

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Re: Saving Issue....

Post by Herr Shaun »

There's a warning when you start a new game that this will happen. Tough break though.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Bad save system.

Post by SGTCOOL »

Whilst simply walking down a sidewalk in town I can easily see the "saving" icon appear every few seconds. It's obtrusive, annoying and just doesn't make sense. If it's a glitch it's a rather permanent one. Playing on Xbox.
Calamity
Historical Society Historian

Post by Calamity »

We already have a topic discussing the save format of the game so I've merged the two.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

@SGTCOOL Really?
I paid close attention last night while playing Downpour & I can honestly say that I don't have that problem. I'm on a PS3. Does that make a difference?
Daily
Just Passing Through

Post by Daily »

@thy_butcher Maybe it can make a difference, i saw on some plateform differents technical problems for same game . Patch will resolve soon this .
Sorry bad english , i am french !
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

my ps3 version only saves after a quest, major sections, and entering buildings. so many may be exaggerating. these saves can come too far between at times though, making it hard to turn off when youve done alot and need to stop. they shouldve added a manual save system with the auto save.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

I'm not exaggerating... I don't like the game very much but I wouldn't lie about the technical issues. My hope would be to make this apparent to the developers so that all of you who like the game could possibly be able to get a patch if this is actually a widespread problem. It would be immature to lie about this type of issue when I feel this game has much deeper flaws than a word appearing on the top right of the screen too often. And as I said, I'm on XBOX 360. So that very well could make a difference.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

The technical issues and clunky controls have just made me give up on the game. I finally got out of devil's pit (i quite liked the train ride) and encountered 3 monsters while in the town, and it was absolutely dreadful. first of all the poor framerate made it seem like the monsters were almost teleporting across the screen. They'd start out 15 feet away, then i see one take a step and then the game's framerate drops causing the game to pause for half a sec, then all of a sudden they're like 8-10 feet away, another step and another pause... now they're in my face hitting me! Absolutley horrible.

The autosave is atrocious too. I died while in the town fighting the monsters (i killed 2, but the third one nightcrawler'd me and killed me) and then as i go to load the last checkpoint, it started me back at the end of devil's pit. smh, it had JUST autosaved while i was in the town! why am i starting back so far? wtf?!
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

my ps3 saves when ever it says it saves
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I've always been in favor of a manual saving system and this is bothersome to me. Automatic saving systems can work if they're done right, it works fine in Dark Souls because it's always doing real saves, and it's cool that you're always forced to accept the consequences of your actions. But to have an automatic save system where most of the saves aren't even real saves is just idiotic. All that lag to accomplish nothing.

Why not just let the player have control with save points? It uses no lag to accomplish the exact same thing. Plus if there are save points, it's something additional for the player to discover which is great for an exploration based game. This trend of automatic saving needs to die. This is a great example of a way in which Silent Hill was "updated" to fit modern game design in a very bad way. The old way was better.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Dark Souls did auto-saving right :)
Hopefully they can give us a patch to fix the lagging.
Otherwise, I'm loving the game. It's a lot different than I expected, but great nonetheless.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Auto-saving bugs me because I love being able to choose where and when to save, so I can have multiple save points if I want to explore more.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

The auto-saving works for Dark Souls, partly because bonfires sort of function like save points even if they aren't. But putting that aside, I still find save points to be the superior system. There's really no downside to using save points, and the player ought to have control over when they choose to save.

I'm not exactly sure why there's been a trend towards auto-saving... maybe it has something to do with the whole immersion trend, where developers are scared to have anything in the game that shows you're playing a video game. Which just goes to show how focusing too much on immersion can hurt a game. In this case it has the opposite effect, forcing the player to pay attention to what the game is doing in the background so that they know if their game is saved.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I like having at least some auto saving, since that usually precludes having to replay 20 minutes of the game because I died.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

KiramidHead wrote:I like having at least some auto saving, since that usually precludes having to replay 20 minutes of the game because I died.
I do like it in that aspect (checkpoints).
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

Saving~

Saving
take 5 steps
Saving
take 5 steps
Saving
take 5 steps
Saving
take 5 steps
Saving
take 5 steps
Saving
take 5 steps
Saving
take 5 steps
Saving
take 5 steps

LMAO best save system ever :D ...(thats sarcasim)
oO?
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^I was complaining about the lack of saves in the PS3 version...I guess I'm lucky. ;) PS3 only saves when you reach an objective of some sort, or you go into a building.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

KiramidHead wrote:I like having at least some auto saving, since that usually precludes having to replay 20 minutes of the game because I died.
Well, I don't think the game should save every minute of your progress, or otherwise you're basically immortal and there's no tension. (Which is a big problem with Amnesia.) I think there should at least be a danger of having to replay a little bit when you die. 20 is a bit much, 10-15 minutes seems like the upper limits of what is reasonable to lose.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm sorry, but losing progress and having to redo things is just plain tedious bullshit. Unless you happen to be a masochist *cough* Dark Souls fans *cough*, than that just isn't fun.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

KiramidHead wrote:I'm sorry, but losing progress and having to redo things is just plain tedious bullshit. Unless you happen to be a masochist *cough* Dark Souls fans *cough*, than that just isn't fun.
Depends on what you call fun. For me, games without tension aren't fun. That goes triple for horror games, but it applies to any game. I think that the purpose of a game is to overcome some sort of adversity and accomplish something. There's no reward without risk, and the tension and accomplishment you feel from that kind of game is great. Which is why many people love Dark Souls... it's not because they're masochists, it's because it feels great to play a game where winning actually means something.

But then again, there are those who aren't very interested in the "game" aspect of games, and tend to see games more as experiences. For that type of person, I guess losing progress gets in the way of your experience. I guess you must be that type.

I personally think that video games should strive to do both, which is why a lot of people see Dark Souls as the best game of this generation... it excels both as a game, and as an experience. Anyway, I believe it makes sense for horror games to follow that template, at least a little bit... they don't have to be as punishing as Dark Souls, but they shouldn't be afraid to make the player face some risks. That source of tension is way too valuable for a horror game to just ignore it.