Got Downpour? Want to share impressions? Post them here!

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Re: Got Downpour? Want to share impressions? Post them here!

Post by Herr Shaun »

PyramidFace wrote:
Herr Shaun wrote:It was just easier when trying to get all the endings, is all. It looks like getting all 5 endings is going to require 5 playthroughs.
Three playthroughs.
Please show your work.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Just finished. Started at 5:00 pm, ended at about 1 am, about eight hours with normal difficulty/puzzles and no side quests. No real story spoilers ahead:

What I didn't like:
-The final 1/4th of the game (Loses alot of creativity. Final level felt really lazy)
This is unacceptable. No amount of creativity should kill off the final act of a game. Most films suffer from this problem and it's a shame that this game falls under the same category. I'll reserve my judgements till i myself play the game.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Downpour Review Thread

Post by clips »

People are raggin' on the IGN review, but they need to be careful to not criticize the negative reviews and praise the positive ones. That said, the IGN review does praise certain parts of the game where it shines the most and that is in it's atmosphere and exploration and it even goes on to say that the storyline is good as well. The thing is with the praise and criticisms he's given the game, it just doesn't add up to the 4.5 score.

I personally think the game is about a 7-7.5 just based on what i've been seeing in vids and various reviews on the net, which sounds about right and isn't really a bad score at all for SH. Not really happy about what i'm seeing in terms of the combat or the creature design in general, at least the clips with murph fighting the screamers and the bat creature, it just doesn't look horrifying or disturbing.

I'm sure the game has it's moments because all of the reviews i've seen stated that this game even with it's flaws has huge potential....not to sound cliche`, but of course like everyone else i'll have to judge this game properly for myself. I'll be gettin this regardless of the reviews tho...
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

The IGN reviewer is under the impression that the game is more combat focused. I've been playing the game, and that just isn't true.
dawnclover
Just Passing Through

Post by dawnclover »

I'm loving the game so far. Atmosphere I feel is top notch (well, judging from my time with the game yesterday, because today, ever since I loaded up the game my neighbour's dog has been howling and barking for FREAKING HOURS - I swear I'm going insane).

I have 20% of the game completed (+ 2 side quests) and been playing for 6 hours (yes, I'm playing it very slowly, looking at every corner, every wall, reading every freaking poster / looking at every single painting. The more this first experience lasts, the better! :D)

What I HATED so far about the game (spoilers for anyone who hasn't arrived to Silent Hill yet):
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The cop cars... What the hell were they thinking? Not creepy, not symbolic (what, because he's a prisoner?), just annoying and really atmosphere breaking. Thank God you can kill them off through the sidequest.
I'm really loving the WTF feel of some of the scenes, and the overall surrealism of the game. I don't feel like the combat is clunky at all... (playing on normal) It's quite basic: you're up against one dude, fight. Two? Maybe fight. Three or more? Run the hell away! And if you have to fight, just learn the enemies' moves (maybe I played too much Dark Souls?), block when needed, attack when the opportunity arises. I actually think it's somewhat fun.

Well, back to it then! :D

BTW: Just so we're clear (because I'm from europe and playing the game). A friend of mine went to the states last week and came back on the 13th. He managed to find the game on sale in NYC on saturday, and finished the game on monday on his cousin's house. He came back, lent me the game, I'm playing it (thank god the 360 version is region free) :) When it releases here I'm buying the PS3 version though (anyone can tell me if there's a big difference in performance between the two?).
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Having slept on it, I've got a theory for why I ended up feeling sick.

At the beginning, I set the game for low light (so the title'd be "barely visible") with no glowing item indicators or help icons appearing onscreen. Basically, I was setting up for an old Silent Hill experience. I really didn't want to budge from these settings.

However, I have an SD television. I had a feeling that this might turn out to be a problem when I couldn't find the weapons for the shower tutorial. I basically had to wander in circles until I stumbled upon the bench where all of these weapons were stored.

So, for two hours, I wandered circles in dark rooms, staring into that tiny flashlight beam (which, I must say, is a far cry from Shattered Memories's flashlight), looking for anything that might be noteworthy with increasing levels of frustration. This only got worse in the chase scene, as I couldn't see where I was going and took a ton of damage in the process (my Action-Puzzle modes were Normal-Hard, btw).

When this weekend comes, I'm gonna use my ex-roommate's HDTV and see how it feels, there. Otherwise, I might have to make some serious compromises, from radically increasing the brightness to turning the item glow back on, or this game simply won't be playable in my setup.
MeatyDistraction
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MeatyDistraction »

Best Silent Hill game in YEARS, as far as I'm concerned.

The Screamers are really overused, and the combat kind of sucks, but the atmosphere is there in spades, and there is a TON of exploration, and that's what I came for.

It feels a lot like Alan Wake also. To me, that's a good thing.
"Are you goin' to Hell or Heaven? Did you walk with the sinners, or pray with the reverend? Tell the truth, I did a little of both, but ain't no tellin' where I'm goin' 'til my body's a ghost."
Eraserhead
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Eraserhead »

^
agreed.
I also got an Alan Wake vibe.

My first impressions are that while it looks beautiful on a technical level, modeling,rendering, etc. It doesn't feel like a Silent Hill game. I must keep in mind I just started playing and am at the part after the sky cart. The music, particularly the in-game ambient to me reminds me more of Jerry Goldsmith's score for Alien than anything else. Looking forward to playing more tho!
"Home is in your head"
boo
Just Passing Through

Post by boo »

I just finished the game a few minutes ago and all in all, it was pretty damn good. I'd probably rank it as the fourth best game in the series (behind 2,3, and SM).

Cons:
*Like others have said half the monsters are kind of blah. The prisoner monsters are too human looking (though to be fair, quite creepy), the screamer is too simplistic, and I would have liked it better if the dolls didn't say "ow" when getting hit.
*When exploring the town there is hardly any music and when there was it was kind of bland.
*A lot of the main buildings are pretty well lit, being able to use my flashlight more would have been appreciated.
*I miss Homecoming's dodge move, I get that it might empower player too much but it would have been nice if it could have been implemented into the controls somehow.
*The controls could also use some work: the lock on sometimes doesn't work, I would occasionally get stuck to walls, and attacks sometimes just go through the enemy.
*Don't get this on the PS3 if you can. The framerate lags are unbearable during many parts of the game.

Pros:
*SO MANY PUZZLES!
*This game hands down has the best level design the series has ever seen. While your mileage may very on whether or not they're creepy, you will probably love almost every main building you explore.
*The exploration is excellent, and the sidequests are varied and brimming with creativity.
*The town is very atmospheric and just plain beautiful.
*It's quite scary in a lot of places and the prisoner monsters love to sneak up on you.
*The Otherworld is really fun and exciting to go through. I won't give anything away though.
*While the controls are flawed they give you a lot more options than you're used to.
*While their designs aren't that great, the monsters have the most unique attack styles in the entire series.
*The music in the cutscenes flows nicely and "intro perp walk" is now one of my favorite songs in the series.
*This game will take a good amount of time to beat. I didn't even finish all the sidequests and it still took me around 16 hours to beat.
Lafayette_Reynolds
Just Passing Through

Post by Lafayette_Reynolds »

KiramidHead wrote:I'm enjoying the game so far. The environments are freaking beautiful, and the music is pretty good. The brief instances of licensed music are pretty kick ass, too. The enemies are decent, but don't hold a candle to the SH standard. They're not bad, just adequate.
I've just entered the Centennial Building, where the radio station is. Turns out, Murph was imprisoned for stealing a cop car and resisting arrest, and even had parole approved. Something happened with this Sewell character, something to do with that tutorial, no doubt.

Oh, and one badass easter egg: one of the songs on the radio was featured in the original Wicker Man. Thumbs up, Vatra.
Regarding the
Wicker Man song, is it Willows Song used?
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

I've been playing this game judging it on its own merits, trying not to compare it to past titles. I find it to be tedious, which I couldn't help but remember the tedium of silent hill 4. The exploration is all good and well, but the monster designs are so laughably bad that it takes me out of the whole experience. BEWARE of shirtless sweatpants man with his mouth wired back who grunts. And the dolls who spawn blue UV lit ghosts at you who punch you in the face...I feel like every new monster I stumble upon is the worst in the series. The pacing is killing me as well. I feel like I was in an archive building for hours just now. The only reason I haven't turned the game off and sold it (Man, I've never even CONSIDERED selling a Silent Hill game before...) is because I want to find out what's going on in the admittedly interesting story. Too bad the journey there feels so silly. The otherworld section I just completed reminded me of a level in Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. Boy that matter-sucking red ball of light is becoming annoying.
Progmetty
Just Passing Through

Post by Progmetty »

Some people already finished the game?! You mean people who got it Tuesday? lol. SH fans really are different from one another. When I get a new SH game I try to drag it as long as I can, playing an hour or two a day, only after midnight and with heavy exploration.
The first enemy to be encountered (screaming lady) is being called the easiest enemy of the game, then I'm screwed cause I find it to be really fast and does considerable damage before it dies. Blocking doesn't help!
Sajun
Just Passing Through

Post by Sajun »

I'm enjoying it so far. I recently joined a really awesome guild on WoW and my guild leader turned out to be a huge SH buff, and she got the game earlier in the day than I did and one thing that she mentioned was that it can in no way be compared to SH 1 2 or 3, and that's true.

So when I'm playing it, I'm trying not to think of it as a Silent Hill game even. By now the games have been done by so many different groups of people that they really don't feel like they're even in the same series.

That being said, I think the game's really good so far in terms of atmosphere. I thought both 4 and Origins did a good job with atmosphere, but the issues that came up were simple things that they shouldn't have had a problem with, like combat. 4 wasn't so bad with combat but Origins was atrocious, to the point where I am having trouble even progressing through the game because the combat was so difficult.

I was worried this would be what Downpour was like. All atmosphere but such horrible combat controls that it would be unplayable, but it's not like that at all. Sure the combat is... nothing spectacular, and I personally am very partial to 1 2 and 3's style of combat, but this one's at least playable.

I do really love the otherworld areas, especially the first one.. just wow. Reminded me of something out of American Mcgee's Alice or the sequel, or at least reminded me of something that should've been in those games. =)

Another thing I think I kind of like is Murphy himself, though I don't know why yet.
mjm800
Just Passing Through

Post by mjm800 »

So far I love it, I love the exploration and I love how the game feels, it feels dark and creepy. I play in the dark alone and I totally immerse myself into the game. For me that works. I often feel creeped out...like the Devils Pit basement just opening the door and looking down the stairs wondering what might be down there…waiting was enough to creep me out.

SH, for me, has never been about the creatures, they were always just there to give the player something to do. Boss battles were always easy and creatures could be avoided or just killed. It's the atmosphere and the story that’s why I play. The music sets the tone and the music is there in this game. I think, so far, it is feeling like SH2.

SH is not a game for everyone, it’s a game that plays with you more than you play it. If people are looking for combat, endless spawning enemies and a variety of high-tech weapons this is not the game for them.
Last edited by mjm800 on 14 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

I'd like this game better if it didn't have combat and endless spawning enemies...
alisonclmbs
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by alisonclmbs »

I haven't gotten very far in the game yet. So far I love the exploration and atmosphere. I haven't even encountered my first enemy yet but so far that red life sucking ray is extremely annoying. It's too early to tell yet but so far I think its better than SH:Homecoming, Shattered memories,SH4 and origins but maybe not quite as good as SH1-SH3. When I'm done obviously, I'll have a much better idea.

In the meantime I like taking my time to explore everything. I really hope this game isnt short.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys" Andrew Ryan-Bioshock

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/maddartist/heathersig.jpg[/img]

Thx to Maddartist for my avatar & banner
bloodydjehuty
Just Passing Through

Post by bloodydjehuty »

just finished it and got the "what a twist" ending. I'd say this is in the top tier of Sh games, I loved the atmosphere, story, music, and characters.
the combat wasn't a big issue with me (really all SH games have lousy combat) and really the only truly terrible things about the game are the studdering issues, the last level seemed rushed and very boring compared to the rest of the game...

so at least in my tier I'd put the games in this order (best to worst): SH1, SH2, SHD, Shattered Memories, SH3, SH:H, SH4, 0rigins
dano66
Just Passing Through

Post by dano66 »

This is the best silent hill game Ive played in a long time

Pros
The story and atmosphere is amazing
The level design and lighting effects are very very good.
The otherworld is very well done, and intense.
The game is scary! I was worried the game would be too tame, but I'm constantly on the edge of my seat lol
voice acting is really good, some of the best Ive heard from the series.
Music and sound effects are eerie, and very effective.
the sound effects brings back memories of Akira yamokas old work on SH2
The puzzles are creative, and fun to solve
fighting is really easy to control, and get the hang of, but you dont feel overpowered so the sense of fear is still there.

cons
The games framrate lags at times
character animations are a little dull and rough looking.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

Just beat it for the first time. Didn't do a single side-quest, saving those for my second playthrough I'll probably be starting at any time. What an amazing game! Not only is this a great return to form, I think it might be one of the better installments of the series. Certainly better than all of the games after the first four (even the godly Shattered Memories, which I absolutely adore.) Hell, I like this one more than the fourth and third installment too. Probably more than the second too. Of course, nothing will beat Silent Hill 1 in my eyes--still the best game in the series imo. But so far this is a close second. I'm looking forward to replaying this game many, many times.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Lafayette_Reynolds wrote:
KiramidHead wrote:I'm enjoying the game so far. The environments are freaking beautiful, and the music is pretty good. The brief instances of licensed music are pretty kick ass, too. The enemies are decent, but don't hold a candle to the SH standard. They're not bad, just adequate.
I've just entered the Centennial Building, where the radio station is. Turns out, Murph was imprisoned for stealing a cop car and resisting arrest, and even had parole approved. Something happened with this Sewell character, something to do with that tutorial, no doubt.

Oh, and one badass easter egg: one of the songs on the radio was featured in the original Wicker Man. Thumbs up, Vatra.
Regarding the
Wicker Man song, is it Willows Song used?
That's the one. I had trouble placing the name.