3D confirmed, Korn doing main theme and October release date

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Re: 3D confirmed, Korn doing main theme and October release

Post by VIVIsect »

alone in the town wrote:
VIVIsect wrote:^ People are saying that the inclusion of Korn is a stupid idea. Not that the world is ending, or that it automatically makes Downpour a turd.
There are several instances in this very thread of people citing this decision as indicative of the series being irrelevant. Including you. <3
The series has been on sharp downward slope into irrelevancy for years. Long before The Great KoRn Debacle of 2011. And, yes. It's another blotch on the series, overall. But is it going to be the one thing that determines whether or not *Downpour* sucks? No. It's still just a stupid decision.
nobody is anybody
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

There's nobody to really blame for the decline of the series. It's the popularity of the series itself that is doing it in, like how everybody loved innocent little Micheal Jackson when he was young, then he got a little older and still made the hits, but as time went on he started to go through strange and ominous changes, started getting bad cosmetic surgery, got into some questionable activities and became a target of nonstop criticism until he ran way and died.

Such is the fate of Silent Hill, maybe. Hopefully not, but at this point I honestly can't see it coming back to it's former glory. It's like it's just become what some other guys think it is, and now it's tied down to obligations to have up-to-date graphics and hardcore violent gameplay to be marketable and compete with games that have never been as memorable as SH was.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

I'm not going to let a song I haven't heard influence my perception of Downpour. KoRn has existing songs, but who's to say this new single will even resemble them at all? We haven't even heard a ten second sample clip.

As for 3D: Eh.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Catch22 wrote:KoRn has existing songs, but who's to say this new single will even resemble them at all?
Exactly. Their new single "Get Up" sounds nothing like previous Korn tracks. The albums Follow the Leader, Issues, Untouchables, See You on the Other Side, and Untitled all sounded nothing like previous Korn albums when they were released. The band is capable of making a lot of different-sounding music and typically do with every new release.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

If the Korn song is indeed just for promotional material, and is not intended to be the theme for the game, then that's not so bad after all.
DeSilva
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by DeSilva »

3D is fine in my opinion. It's just one step further than HD, and if it enhances the experience all the more power to it.

But Korn.... They couldn't find something a little more... artistic?
From what little I remember about them, they're another generic drugs and sex and beat your wife band. I'm not getting my hopes up on something that didn't provide in the past.
Goodbye Silent HIll!
(Please Mr. Admin, banish me)
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I dunno about 3D "enhancing" the experience. When I test 3DTVs in Best Buy, it looks like a pop-up book. When I test the 3DS, it feels like my eyes are unfocusing and derping. Neither made me feel like, say, I was actually at the Beijing Olympics or flying through the air on a hang glider.

I think I'll need more powerful drugs, for that.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

^One bag of PTV, coming right up.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Kenji wrote:I dunno about 3D "enhancing" the experience. When I test 3DTVs in Best Buy, it looks like a pop-up book. When I test the 3DS, it feels like my eyes are unfocusing and derping. Neither made me feel like, say, I was actually at the Beijing Olympics or flying through the air on a hang glider.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that my eyes hurt at first when using the 3DS, but after around an hour of using it, they adjusted and felt fine. It was like getting a new glasses prescription. Can't say much about 3DTVs, though, since whenever I go to Best Buy their glasses are out of batteries.
Dragonforce1080p
Just Passing Through

Post by Dragonforce1080p »

Kenji wrote:I dunno about 3D "enhancing" the experience. When I test 3DTVs in Best Buy, it looks like a pop-up book. When I test the 3DS, it feels like my eyes are unfocusing and derping. Neither made me feel like, say, I was actually at the Beijing Olympics or flying through the air on a hang glider.

If the content looks like a popup book, it must not be real 3d, but up-converted. Ever watch a real 3d movie in Imax? Or played the PS3 in 3d? I'd say don't judge until you see content that is made for 3d displays. Doing so would be like judging 480i content on a 1080p tv. 3d done right looks amazing. After testing out Stardust HD (PS3), SF4 in 3d on On PC and some movies on my display I can confidently say it does add something to content.

But not too much. It's like color, movies DON't need color to have a good story. Just like there is peope who can't see 3d there are people who can't see color. It's definitely not a gimmick on this game (silent hill) simply because no one is forcing anyone to buy a new tv just to play it.
My VGM inspired pieces :)
♫ youtube.com/terran236 ♪
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

LOL THIS IS THE STUPIDEST FUCKING THING EVER

god what a piece.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

3D is becoming a standard option in most videogames and is completely optional, so I don't see a point in even mentioning its inclusion in Downpour. Korn however...It just reeks of Konami executives trying to figure out what's "cool" (albeit 12 years ago) to enhance sales, and not realizing that the vast majority of people who will be buying this game are pre-existing fans. That's to say I'm not against them trying to pull in more people to play their game, since this is business after all, but this is just the wrong way to do it. Frankly, I find it embarrassing.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

SGTCOOL wrote:Korn however...It just reeks of Konami executives trying to figure out what's "cool" (albeit 12 years ago) to enhance sales
Pretty much. It reminds me of that McDonald's ad... The one with the guy looking at a double cheeseburger, and the caption "I'd hit it".
nobody is anybody
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Okay so Alan Wake got Poe and David Bowie for songs, the latter of which was the ending theme song I think? And Silent Hill Downpour gets......................... a band who hasn't been relevant since nu-metal craze in the late 90s. Right.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Interesting... I always somewhat liked Korn (at least some of their songs), but they'd be really out of place in a Silent Hill game. And which will it be- the Downpour theme, or a promotional material song?! Usually the theme would at least be present during the trailer that plays at the beginning of a game, if not at the end or something.
It is possible the song will be unlike their usual stuff, but then why have the band do it? Eh, guess all there is to do is wait and see.

It sounds like the 3D hasn't been confirmed officially. Could really do without that, but I don't imagine it being terrible and game-destroying.
...Does that mean the game would come with 3D glasses? :? That WOULD make it a tad difficult to take seriously. Or would it be for 3D TVs? Do many people have those?
Last edited by phantomess on 13 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Hell no!

Sony wants you to buy an official Sony 3DTV, with official Sony 3D glasses. Available where quality electronics are sold.

The trademark "SONY" and any other product names, service names or logos of SONY used, quoted and/or referenced in this Web Site are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation or any of its affiliates. Other product names and/or company names used in the Website may be protected as their trademarks and/or trade names. Microsoft, Windows, Windows Vista, Excel, Windows Media and Life Without Walls, and the Windows logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Intel, Intel Inside, Core, Pentium, the Intel and Intel Inside logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. Google, Google TV, Google Maps, Google Chrome, Gmail, Google Books, Google Earth, Google Ocean, YouTube, Picasa, Android, Android Market, the Google TV, YouTube, Android and Android Market logos are trademarks of Google Inc. Facebook and the Facebook logo are trademarks of Facebook, Inc. Twitter, the Twitter logo, Tweet, and Twitter bird are trademarks of Twitter, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Skype and the Skype Logo are trademarks of Skype Limited. Apple, Macintosh, Mac, Mac OS, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPod classic, iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod shuffle, iTunes and iMovie are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Netflix and the Netflix logo are registered trademarks of Netflix, Inc. Slacker and the Slacker Radio logo are trademarks of Slacker, Inc. Vudu and the Vudu logo are trademarks of Vudu, Inc. Hulu and the Hulu logo are are trademarks of Hulu. Pandora is a trademark of Pandora Media, Inc. Amazon Video On Demand is a trademark of Amazon in the U.S. and/or other countries. AT&T and the AT&T Globe logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property. Verizon Wireless is a trademark of Verizon Trademark Services, LLC. Bluetooth and the Bluetooth logo are trademarks of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. Qualcomm and Snapdragon are registered trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. Adobe, the Adobe PDF logo, Creative Suite, Photoshop, Premiere and Acrobat are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. Norton and Norton Internet Security are trademarks owned by Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Carl Zeiss, Vario-Sonnar and Vario-Tessar are registered trademarks of Carl Zeiss, Inc. HDMI and High Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC. Blu-ray Disc, Blu-ray 3D, the Blu-ray Disc and Blu-ray 3D logos are trademarks. Dolby and the double-D symbol are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. DLNA is a registered trademark of the Digital Living Network Alliance.

( :P On a serious level, that's probably not, yes, and no.)
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

phantomess wrote:Interesting... I always somewhat liked Korn (at least some of their songs), but they'd be really out of place in a Silent Hill game. And which will it be- the Downpour theme, or a promotional material song?! Usually the theme would at least be present during the trailer that plays at the beginning of a game, if not at the end or something.
It is possible the song will be unlike their usual stuff, but then why have the band do it? Eh, guess all there is to do is wait and see.

It sounds like the 3D hasn't been confirmed officially. Could really do without that, but I don't imagine it being terrible and game-destroying.
...Does that mean the game would come with 3D glasses? :? That WOULD make it a tad difficult to take seriously. Or would it be for 3D TVs? Do many people have those?
Tomm has said its the promotional theme, Mary is apparently doing the main theme for the game
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

I've been checking around to see if I can find an official statement from Korn themselves, but so far nothing. It would be interesting to see what they say/if they're aware of the fan protesting. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to pass it along.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Missionary
Just Passing Through

Post by Missionary »

Promotional theme doesn't sound bad. We haven't even heard what it sounds like yet. Although I'd hate to be wandering around with Murphy, immersed in the ambient sounds of the game and have Kelly Clarkson coming out at me whenever I go to the menu.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

redrum wrote:
phantomess wrote:Interesting... I always somewhat liked Korn (at least some of their songs), but they'd be really out of place in a Silent Hill game. And which will it be- the Downpour theme, or a promotional material song?! Usually the theme would at least be present during the trailer that plays at the beginning of a game, if not at the end or something.

Tomm has said its the promotional theme, Mary is apparently doing the main theme for the game
He said that, but I believe he also strongly implied that it'd be in the opening cinematic. I'm not 100% sure on that, though.