Set in ancient times...

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

...You have more sexual issues than I do. And I'm into tentacles. :shock:
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
LittleRed
Just Passing Through

Post by LittleRed »

I figure it'd be okay, since there's a precedent of crazy cultists hanging out in psuedo-Catholic churches. :D

I was thinking of something like this
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
with like, a black veil covering the face.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

I had an idea similar to this. I was aware of the 'no otherworld' rule so I thought maybe the protagonist could live in modern times, but be a reincarnation of someone who lived in a certain period (whichever was the most interesting). So you could still have otherworld shifts, but it would be based on his memories of that time.

Or maybe someone on their death bed astral projecting themselves, being the the modern world but shifting to the past. Or maybe someone trying to resurrect someone from the past that brings elements of their time period with them.

Basically anything that is as close to being there without actually being there.
"The Body Is Cold?"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I had an idea similar to this. I was aware of the 'no otherworld' rule so I thought maybe the protagonist could live in modern times, but be a reincarnation of someone who lived in a certain period (whichever was the most interesting). So you could still have otherworld shifts, but it would be based on his memories of that time.
This.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

Thanks, although I would also like something that takes you through different time periods with each shift, not just one. Although I remember researching the history (here I think) and the late 1800's seemed the most interesting.
"The Body Is Cold?"
SethSunderland
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SethSunderland »

I think I'll take up that mecha Hitler challenge. :D

Anyways.
I would also like something that takes you through different time periods with each shift, not just one.
So like... Timesplitters + Silent Hill? o-o;
[img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5484/sethsunderlandnewdigjr5.jpg[/img]
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

I donno... I'm apt to find horror set in my daily surroundings much scarier. I think taking SH out of its urban environment would change it a little TOO much. :/
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

I remember a thread exactly like this a while back.

I think it's a great idea to have it go back to the 19th century or when the area was first settled. Lanterns instead of flashlights. Stuff like that.

The no Otherworld problem can be overcome, if the developer thinks of something actually creative and original.

These newer Silent Hill games keep changing the gameplay, what they need to do is actually write an original story.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

what they need to do is actually write an original story.
Climax and Double Helix already did that with Origins and Homecoming. Guess Shattered Memories should fit in there as well.
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

What I meant by original, is a game that is not related to any of the others or aping the plots of any of the others like Homecoming, or bringing Alessa back again like Origins and Shattered Memories (I personally didn't like the re-imagining and felt that they could have better spent their time actually writing a new chapter to the overall mythos).

Go with something completely fresh like 2 or 4.
Walter10h
Just Passing Through

Post by Walter10h »

So... Assassin's Hill?

hmm... well WHY NOT? It actually sounds good.

Btw we know that the land where SH was founded was sacred and beautiful to native Americans... but who knows. What if someone defiled the land? Then that person must be punished right?
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

AgentX7k wrote:Thanks, although I would also like something that takes you through different time periods with each shift, not just one. Although I remember researching the history (here I think) and the late 1800's seemed the most interesting.
Oooo, the otherworld could be the 1800s! maybe some of the horrors walking around in the real world in the 1800s!
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

Especially Civil War era. A good way to bring in Toluca Prison again.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

Walter10h wrote:So... Assassin's Hill?

hmm... well WHY NOT? It actually sounds good.

Btw we know that the land where SH was founded was sacred and beautiful to native Americans... but who knows. What if someone defiled the land? Then that person must be punished right?
Thank you, I thought it was a way to solve a the problem of a) Visiting the past without worrying about the 'no otherworld back then rule' and b) Keeping the game in Silent Hill without getting redundant.
spunkytexan wrote:Oooo, the otherworld could be the 1800s! maybe some of the horrors walking around in the real world in the 1800s!
I think it would be the best time period. And like you say they could mix.
BurningWitch wrote:Especially Civil War era. A good way to bring in Toluca Prison again.
Exaclty, and Brookhaven I think.
"The Body Is Cold?"
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

lain of the wired wrote: There was still something "special" about the location then, wasn't there? They could probably find a way to play with that.
Maybe, but not special enough to be worthy of a Silent Hill game, anyone agree? I agree with him, saying that without the otherworld, it's nothing.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

I have actually been looking forward to a Silent Hill game like this for a long time.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Bluebolt77
Just Passing Through

Post by Bluebolt77 »

I would enjoy this. More information on the backstory of Silent Hill = :D
It would be interesting to see how the Otherworld was manifest seeing as in the current games they always have strong themes of buildings and metal.
Let Silent Hill purify you.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Temples and volcanic rock perhaps? We shall see.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The game would consist of running around the foundations of a town: There would be no [otherside], no Otherworld—both of which are precisely what establishes a Silent Hill game as part of the Silent Hill series—and w/out either of those you have no monsters and no reason for even being in Silent Hill.

It'd basically be Sim Town: Boring Northeastern United States Edition.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

Maybe they'd just retcon the story again to make it that the otherworld (rust and all) actually existed several hundred years prior to Alessa's birth.