A Little More Weapons? Perfect Controls?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I like the way weapons were done in Homecoming.. the only thing i'd change is the amount of ammo you can carry. i'd also not be in favor of having machine guns, but if they're available, one can always choose to ignore them.

the controls imo were good in Homecoming. i'd just eliminate some of the fancy combos Alex puts together. they're mainly done with the knife, and there's one combo Alex does where i believe he spins around and swipes with his knife. that needs to go. i seem to remember him being a bit more average when it came to the pipe/axe attacks.
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Melee:
Kitchen Knife
Metal Baseball Bat
Crowbar
Maul

Firearms:
Handgun
Shotgun
Rifle
Magnum

Controls:
I'm fine with any, since i can adapt to it.
ZeekyBomb
Just Passing Through

Post by ZeekyBomb »

Please, no katana. I cringed when I found the katana in SH3. If it weren't a Japanese game, I wouldn't have been able to forgive them.

I think it would be cool to have the steel pipe as always as a sort of balanced weapon, a knife as a short-ranged one, and maybe a spear or something. I don't like how a lot of games end up with you never using older weapons after you get new ones.

Ranged weapons are fine, just keep them limited. Handgun, shotgun, and crossbow sound good in my mind.

I'm a fan of directional controls, like the SH4 controls. Those were nice, and it's not like it was difficult to get used to camera after a few minutes of playing.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I don't give a shit about weapons. The monsters all die the same, regardless. All that's needed is a) a knife, b) a handgun, and c) a pipe/hammer. The rest is superfluous.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

Melee:

A Fan
A Shoe
Shot Glass
XBox 360
Wiimote
Pillow
Can of baked Beans
Refrigerator
Kitchen Sink

Guns:

Potato Gun
Pea Shooter
BB Gun
Gatling Gun
Rocket Launcher
Tank
Kamehameha
Nuclear Grenades

Perfect weapons for a perfect game.
*Insert Legendary signature here*
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

I like the idea of having some weapons be breakable and one hit finishes, also if you're weaponless, I'd love branching grappling sequences like in Heavy Rain... including context sensitivity with any objects nearby...

But it ain't gonna happen...

So the standard weapons of the previous games are all good.... never had any complaints, but I also agree that they don't need to go overboard on them.

Stick, knife, pipe, golf club, sword, ax, pistol, rifle, done!
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Honestly, I'm not huge on the weapons. I've not played Homecoming so I can't say much about its combat, but the other games' fighting is really clunky and slow, to me. I'd love something that didn't necessarily involve straight-out combat; maybe a few weapons here and there that would break after a while, but I'd much prefer using just environmental stuff. Kind of like the shelves you could throw over in SM, but with an actual purpose to them.
Lemex
Gravedigger

Post by Lemex »

I always thought there are more than enough weapons in all the Silent Hill games to be honest.
I'm just happy with the trusty handgun most of the time.

> Honestly, I'm not huge on the weapons. I've not played Homecoming so I can't say much about its combat

Honestly, the first weapon you get (the knife) is the only one you really need.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Definitely bring back the weapons.

But I'd like them to do it similar to the early Resident Evil games and SH 1 (possibly 2 and 3. My memory is still kind of foggy regarding those ones), where you really have to be conservative about your ammuniton and often be forced to sneak by enemies or fight them with melee weapons. But make sure the weapons all have some sort of use to them. I always hate when they give you a knife but you know it's the most useless weapon ever concieved and leaves you better off just running.
Keiko
Just Passing Through

Post by Keiko »

I'd like to see a quite big collection of melee (maybe breakable but more durable than in SH:0) weapons. I rarely use firearms. So my list of melee weapons would be bigger than firearms.
A must have Melee:
-Knife (or something short and sharp for 1st weapon)
-steel pipe
-Axe
-maybe a crowbar
-Something like in Resident Evil:Outbreak file#2. A hammer made of steel pipe and concrete piece at the end of it.

Firearms:
-Handgun?

I'd also like some weapons you can throw like stones or something. And I think I can get used to every controls.
Sorry for my bad english...
SilentHell
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentHell »

the perfect controls for me are controls that are complex and unpredictable. controls that would make me think twice before charging a monster or going in for the kill (Like Homecoming)

I remember in Silent Hill 3 I didnt trust the controls they were a bit difficult for me so that really amped my fear of having to encounter another monster

for example in Homecoming I felt like a Predator killing monsters without getting a scratch. so again I felt like a Predator rather then a victim

do you guys agree?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/silenyhell/sh%20pictures/SH3Siggy.jpg[/img]

"Some Fear Dea_th Some Pray For_It"
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I'd like for them to keep things simple...hangun/steelpipe and maybe a shotgun works for me. Homecoming tried to improve in these areas, but i felt the engine wasn't up to the task...the combat was jerky and annoying.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

- An even range of firearm/melee
- Some fun secret weapons, ranging from plausible to absurd
- NO breakable weapons
- No machine guns or assault rifles (least no non-secret ones)
"The Body Is Cold?"
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I have something I'd like to note about games like SH in general. The amount of shit you carry is just retarded, no man can carry around a rifle, shotgun, pistol, and a wooden plank, in any convenient fashion. Oh and of course there's even more crap they carry around.

If he has a pistol he should have a place to realistically put it, if he has a rifle, if doesn't have a way of putting it to the side, changing items should mean putting it down. I dunno, I think horror games could benefit for the added immersion you know?
Your weaboo is showing
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

I agree with the post above mine, if you are carrying a rifle and it is not equiped, it should be over the protagonist's shoulder, thus restricting space for other items. I hated the limited inventory of Silent Hill 4: The Room. But that is only because it counted a different object as being of the same size as any other object. A silver bullet takes up the same amount of space in your inventory as a golf-club? Fuck off. Realistic inventory is a firm "yes" from me.

Weapons:

* Machete.
* Long sword.
* Meat cleaver.
* A bow with arrows to match?

* Double-Barreled Shotgun.

I am aware that it would require a trip to the museum for these items:

* FG42 German heavy machine gun.
* Kar98k bolt-action rifle.
* Type 99 Japanese heavy machine gun.

Controls:

A 360 degree camera. No button to look behind you would be required in this instance.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

i think that it would be nice if there were ONLY breakable weapons,
and you could not carry more than one at a time.
That way you may have to think twice before entering conflict.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

im not a fan of breakable weapons. i don't want 50 baseball bats lying around.

im all for the limited inventory. you should be able to carry a knife/pipe, handgun, and a shotgun or rifle, along with some ammo. i also have an idea about health items/kits, but im not sure how fans would take to it.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Skele wrote:...im all for the limited inventory. you should be able to carry a knife/pipe, handgun, and a shotgun or rifle, along with some ammo.
I completely agree. I wouldn't want it to be too limited. Manhunt got the inventory system, not perfect, but close to it. You could carry one class of pistol, a melee weapon like a police baton, a large melee weapon, like a baseball bat, a throwable item such as a head that you may have cut off from someone's body with a knife or a machete. There was also space for a rifle somewhere in there I believe.

I will put it like this; You could be using a pump-action shotgun while your chainsaw is mounted on your belt. He would put the shotgun over his shoulder if he equiped the chainsaw.

Skele wrote:...i also have an idea about health items/kits, but im not sure how fans would take to it.
What are they?

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I'd preferably like to see more melee weapons than guns. Perhaps something like this:

melee weapons:
standard kitchen knife
steel pipe (can't have a SH game without one of these)
sword
butcher knife/meat cleaver
double sided axe (this would be a super powerful yet super slow weapon)
some special melee weapons such as a plank with spikes driven through it or a prosthetic arm. These weapons would be powerful, but would break after a certain amount of use.

I think it would be fine to have a selection of permanent weapons, as well as a few that could break.

guns:
handgun
shotgun

That's it. I personally liked the limited ammo system of Homecoming, as well as the emphasis on melee that game had, since you don't NEED a gun to kill the enemies or any of the bosses.

As for unlockable weapons, I'm not sure.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

kaiza killa wrote:
What are they?

H+
I can't say my idea is new, or innovative, it's just that i'd rather them borrow from Condemned.

In Condemned you can't carry any health items. Your health bar is broken up into three separate bars, and you can also regain your health. so if you take a few hits your health will be drained a little, but you'll still have all three bars, and full health once it regains. however if you take too many hits at one time you will lose a bar or two. So if you encounter monsters after you've lost bars, it's easier for them to kill you since it won't take as many hits to do so (in these instances, it's probably best to run). To get the other bar(s) back, you'll need to get to a health kit station.