introduction of RPG elements and possible story concept

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Naissus
Just Passing Through

introduction of RPG elements and possible story concept

Post by Naissus »

Does anyone think it is possible to introduce elements of rpgs. Most rpgs require a strong story in order to work. That is something that is normally with Silent Hills. What I am wondering is maybe instead of having a tortured soul get stuck in silent hill. Maybe it could be a detective attempting to solve the disappearances/murders of some of the characters in the previous ones. This could be a way to introduce the real world Silent Hill and possibly open up some background story to it. The PC could play a detective in the real world following clues that archives/people give him discovering what happened in SH1 and SH3 and finding a way into the foggy world. Of course what detective wouldnt be complete without major flaws emotional or otherwise. The game could start out on a happy note with the detective fresh off a case and starting to work on a new one. He travels to Silent Hill begins digging for the truth and finds more than what he wanted or bargained for. I guess when I mean rpg elements I mean more side-missions that add to the whole story. Maybe the foggyworld or otherworld becomes a laybrinth and at the center or end is his revelation.
[url=http://img4.imageshack.us/i/n64362072821124427438.jpg/][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9635/n64362072821124427438.jpg[/img][/url]
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Post by cascade88 »

Starring Douglas Cartland?

Well I mean, I guess a detective-type story wouldn't be terrible. I'll be honest though, when I read 'RPG', I imagined James Strife with a buster sword and thought to myself, "Oh dear God, no. >.>"

But if you mean more smaller aspects that all connect to the main narrative, as opposed to a singular, linear storyline, I suppose that wouldn't be a terrible idea if they pulled it off well enough.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

RPG Silent Hill?

You're kidding me. And this could fit great in the 'SH 6 Ideas' thread.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

No to the RPG elements idea. No to the detective idea (I do like the idea a little bit, but not for a main SH game).
AirborneSFSoldier

Post by AirborneSFSoldier »

If you want RPG elements go play an RPG game let's keep Silent Hill Silent Hill please. It just would not work, how about leveling up your first aid abilities so first aid kits heal more? How about having a completely 1st person view, hell why not rename it Silent Hill the fallout of Oblivion pssssht NO.
White Claudia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by White Claudia »

No its not an RPG type game, its a nice thought but wouldn't work in it.
http://www.youtube.com/vTheFreemanv
I don’t know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

One of the things you learn from years of dealing with drug people, is that you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Share this quote
Naissus
Just Passing Through

Post by Naissus »

RPGs are not just about leveling up, in fact that in my opinion should be the last thing on a developers mind when creating an rpg. RPGs (role-playing-games) are about immersing people into a world where your actions affect/influence the events of the said world. Oblivion and its mod Fallout 3 are not true RPGs, they are action-rpgs. I am thinking along the lines of Fallout 1, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve, etc. I was getting the whole idea of the detective solving a case from Twin Peaks, which heavily inspired the creation of Silent Hill. I think adding the real world of Silent Hill could add an extra layer of depth to the games if done right. It must fit in the the story. I think the relationship between the protagonist, antagonist, and story arch should be the focal point of game development for any Silent Hill game.

Are you really in SF, because I have never known one to go around displaying it. If so are you stationed with the 5th SFG at Campbell?

Anyways, if those are the only rpgs you know of check out some real ones that are not made from bethesda, you will be surprised how different they are.

Multiple character plotlines, character progression, and so on could be included. Maybe even adding several playable characters with different play styles interacting with each other and attempting to figure out their role in whats going on could be interesting to boot.
[url=http://img4.imageshack.us/i/n64362072821124427438.jpg/][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9635/n64362072821124427438.jpg[/img][/url]
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

But when you say you want there to be multiple character plotlines, character progression, and things like that, you aren't describing an RPG. You're describing any game with those elements. Good storytelling has been part of the SH franchise for a long time.

RPGs aren't RPGs unless they have certain things, like turn-based combat. Without turn based combat RPGs turn into action RPGs, which you yourself stated you don't want.

So... would a turn based Silent Hill game work? No. But if you took away the turn based elements, it wouldn't be an RPG anymore.

You seem to think that "deep" storylines and character development are exclusive to RPGs. They aren't, any genre of game can have those things. So... no, an SH RPG wouldn't work or be any good.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Oh good god, no. Best case scenario, the RPG elements would encourage combat and reduce the fear atmosphere, simply because you can statistically and numerically work out killing a monster. Fuck that.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Any certain RPG style in mind? Because this whole thing is making me say no.
I close my eyes and Imagine Final Fantasy Silent Hill. Eww, not a cute baby. :(
Naissus
Just Passing Through

Post by Naissus »

I am not saying making it an rpg, just certain elements that define rpgs. I guess the things I am talking about are more in line with adventure games.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

Silent hill is one of the few survival horror series left that doesn't try and emulate another genre, I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Bad enough I have to watch JRPG's become action RPG's, I'd like this series to stay pure.
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

A big hearty NOOOOOOOOOOOOO to turn based combat! XD

That said, the detective-style idea isn't too shabby. :D
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Aren't side quests already in Silent Hill though?
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
In Silent Hill one, you had the side quest to save Cybil and Kaufman or let them die
In Silent Hill two, you had the side quests to examine the knife alot or the letter and picture or to protect maria and these would affect the ending.
In Silent Hill three you had the side quest to ignore or forgive the guy in the booth
In Silent Hill Homecoming you had the option to save Wheeler or let him die, shooting Alex's mum or not and forgiving Alex's dad or not
In Shattered Memories, everything you did affected the ending.
Otherwise, i'm not sure what you mean.
^^
liquidus118
Just Passing Through

Post by liquidus118 »

I can't say I'm a fan of the detective side-mission idea. Partly because side missions would completely ruin the pacing and also because having a detective work out what's going on from afar (Even if it is at first) makes it seem very impersonal and smells too much of the faffing around in the SH Movie.
Panzer_Kämpfer
Just Passing Through

Post by Panzer_Kämpfer »

I'm against it. Silent Hill has always worked best as the unique hybrid it is. Puzzle/Adventure/Survival Horror/Thriller.

How does SH not have character progression? Are we speaking in terms of character statistics or in terms of characterization? I might have my lingo muddled, but SH has tons of character development, so I don't think you're talking about characterization.

I also don't really see how a multiple character standpoint would work in SH context. I know what you mean about seeing the perspectives of the cast. Like with 2, say we could see what Laura saw, and Angela and Eddie, etc. But it isn't really necessary, is it? I mean, half of the fun of playing 2 was using the subtle clues that the creators left lying around to figure out just what made everyone else tick.

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but you know what they say, if it isn't broken, why fix it?
I always push the RED button.
freako104
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by freako104 »

No. If you refer to the PE and FF games, note that you can get too powerful and the town will be less threatening. I do like the idea that you'll invest more in this character, but it lessens what made SH great
IamDemensentis
Just Passing Through

Post by IamDemensentis »

I sort of could go with the detective-story, as long as it all comes down to Silent Hill. One Idea could be to make one "sidemission" which would follow another story say... well, doing detective work and finding out more about someone/something.
Mannen i svart sprang, och revolvermannnen följde efter. - Det Mörka Tornet 1

Oh! Is it garbage day?!

"Ah! Global warming went up 10%, just as wanted!"
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

*James wacks nurse!*
James: "My arms are stronger now!"
Collider
Just Passing Through

Post by Collider »

re: RPG elements: So long as the story and horror elements are not sacrificed, I don't see a problem in this. SH's gameplay was never stellar to begin with. Detective work? Depends on execution.