No akira?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Proks wrote:The Music, the sounds of this game series make the game so unique. The feeling when I play Silnet Hill 2 with no sounds(becouse my old PC was piece of shit) was discusting. But when U buy my new computer and play this game again I really was shocked. The music can make the game.
Silent Hill is a magic and music is her muse.
You actually are saying that Silent Hill 2 is a bad game just because the music wasn't there? I can't comprehend that. Sure, the music was good. But SH2 was great because of very different reasons.

Silent Hill is a masterpiece and music is backing support.
Proks
Just Passing Through

Post by Proks »

Maybe discusting is little more... maybe mediocre is the right word.
SH2 is in a mediocre way with no sounds. Every games with no sounds is mediocre.(not flash time game)
That is my opinion.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Silent Hill 2, with it's story/depth/story telling/level design/every single thing about it... it can never be "mediocre". It's a masterpiece. It's fantastic. It is these things because of the developers and writers.

Yes, the music really compliments the game well. It does not make it. The game is NOT mediocre without it.

Not to mention, as good as the OSTs to SH, SH2, and Shattered Memories (in my opinion) are, a lot of his music is either bland or annoying. Origins and Homecoming had really forgettable or annoying music.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

NanayaShiki wrote:Silent Hill 2, with it's story/depth/story telling/level design/every single thing about it... it can never be "mediocre". It's a masterpiece. It's fantastic. It is these things because of the developers and writers.

Yes, the music really compliments the game well. It does not make it. The game is NOT mediocre without it.

Not to mention, as good as the OSTs to SH, SH2, and Shattered Memories (in my opinion) are, a lot of his music is either bland or annoying. Origins and Homecoming had really forgettable or annoying music.
I would like to butt in and say that it's not an objective fact that the game is a masterpiece. Maybe it WAS mediocre in Prok's mind. I know people call it the scariest game ever, but I personally don't feel that; when I was playing it, whether at night or in daylight, it just wasn't that scary to me. I don't notice the music much, myself; I notice the sound effects.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I'm pretty sure it's blatantly obvious most of the time when people are sharing their opinions. I don't think anyone is under the impression their opinions are fact. There really isn't much reason to state that. Especially when I say things like that I can't comprehend the other point of view, or don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of things.

It's tedious to always add "in my opinion" in every single post, especially when I already established I am going to be very spoken in my opinions earlier in the thread.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Whoever is gonna do the music for this, is probably gonna do a good job, otherwise he/she will be replaced.

No need to worry.
We probably wont notice the difference.
DarkOcelot
Just Passing Through

Re: No akira?

Post by DarkOcelot »

NOTICE: Not meant to be disrespectful:

I tried to read through all the posts and couldn’t get far without thinking to myself that Akira Yamaoka
didn’t only do the music for the game, but he put a part of himself in there. If you have not listened to every song that this great artist has made, then no one has much room to state their thoughts. I grew up playing the first game when it was released back in the 90’s. The Silent Hill games that you have come to know and love have been made possible by Akira Yamaoka. How dare you say that he could be replaced. The new music composer is no more than Daniel Licht. I’m assuming that you all know who he is. If not I will tell you. He composed the music for Hellraiser and Children of the Corn films, as well as the TV show Dexter. It would be like trying to say, “Oh, John Williams could be replaced“. In this post I am including a link that will take you to a site that has all the Silent Hill music composed by Akira Yamaoka 1/4 the Room. If you want to hear what the new game should sound like then my suggestion is that you click the link and check it out.

***silenthillfever***
Last edited by DarkOcelot on 04 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.
"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten,
either write things worthy reading or do things worth the writing." ~B.F.
B5160-R
Historical Society Historian

Post by B5160-R »

^ We do not allow directions to websites that offer illegal downloads of the soundtracks. Sorry.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>“Oh, John Williams could be replaced“<
John Williams could be replaced by all the composers he stole from.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Verslie
Just Passing Through

Post by Verslie »

The game is far more enjoyable with the music, it sets the entire atmosphere and without it, it's just not even close to being as enjoyable. Akira was perfect for the series. Daniel Licht may well do something amazing as well, of course he can't replace Akira, that doesn't mean he can't do something different that works just as well. It won't be the same, but that doesn't mean it won't be just as good. I'm just going to wait and see. Personally I haven't got high hopes, because I like Akira a lot and Licht is going to have to really produce something great if he wants to match up to him. I've listened to some tracks from the Dexter soundtrack and didn't really like them, he'll have to up his standards if he wants to match Akira. But I won't dismiss him entirely before I've even heard the soundtrack. It's good to at least give him a chance.
The Adversary wrote:>“Oh, John Williams could be replaced“<
Care to explain? Sure, he may have been influenced by people and used techniques pioneered by others, but who on Earth doesn't have influences? It's not the same as stealing entirely. He may have similar melodies but he doesn't totally copy it, he incorporates things that have been done before into his own music, but still puts his own spin on things. Unless you have proof that his music was stolen, as in it was entirely composed by someone else, you might as well say every single modern orchestral composer is just stealing from classical composers. Or every 00s rock band is just stealing from the 60s rock bands.
Julius
Just Passing Through

Post by Julius »

Verslie wrote:The game is far more enjoyable with the music, it sets the entire atmosphere and without it, it's just not even close to being as enjoyable. Akira was perfect for the series. Daniel Licht may well do something amazing as well, of course he can't replace Akira, that doesn't mean he can't do something different that works just as well. It won't be the same, but that doesn't mean it won't be just as good. I'm just going to wait and see. Personally I haven't got high hopes, because I like Akira a lot and Licht is going to have to really produce something great if he wants to match up to him. I've listened to some tracks from the Dexter soundtrack and didn't really like them, he'll have to up his standards if he wants to match Akira. But I won't dismiss him entirely before I've even heard the soundtrack. It's good to at least give him a chance.
I honestly wish that he doesn't try to match Akira at all. People start messing up when they try to meet these kind of specific expectations and try to make quality that some other people will see on par with some other guys work, but I think he'll do much better if he doesn't focus too much on another persons standard and more on how he personally envisions the game he's working for and such. You know, breathing his own life into the work and all of that jazz.
Though, maybe that's just me. Either way, I'm excited to hear what this game will sound like whether I'll like it or not.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

Yes, the music really compliments the game well. It does not make it.
No it really makes it. Music is at least 60% of the images impact. If you could watch a horror movie without music, or worse, joyful music (say the Benny Hill music), there' s just no way the movie could still scare you.
See for yourself, is THAT scary ? (I actually laughed when I heard the first monster): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIdWe5kgfQ
Georges Lucas said that the first time he showed Star Wars to some of his friends it was a version without any music.
"So ? What do you think guys ?"
"Erm ....... wwweeellllll ........"
He said he' ll never make that mistake again.
Now that you know SH2 very well you could play the game without the music and still enjoy it cause you know how it' s supposed to sound like. When you' ll play SH8 for the first time cut the music and play a Lady Gaga CD instead, you' ll quickly notice that something feels awfully and obviously off.
>“Oh, John Williams could be replaced“<
Care to explain?
Yes, please.
When they did replace John Williams in the Harry Potter movies the result was catastrophic. Well, the movies themselves became catastrophic around the same time ...
I really hope he' ll compose the score of the last movie.
Ben Trovato
Just Passing Through

Post by Ben Trovato »

did replace John Williams in the Harry Potter movies the result was catastrophic.
I disagree.
Well, the movies themselves became catastrophic around the same time ...
I also disagree.

Plus most people steal from everybody in a manner or another. Espescially now.
"This Whole Thing Is Turning Into A Freakin' Mess!"
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

I should have said I meant catastrophic cause they didn' t respect the books anymore (since the fourth movie). The three first movies only eluded a few pages, the other movies threw half of the story to the bin (the combat at the end of the fifth movie is an insult to the book, the great monologue from Snape at the end of Half Blood Prince simply vanished, the feeling that the story was darkening in the sixth book vanished too, etc etc ...). As for the music catastrophic may be a harsh word to describe it but I really think it' s noticeably less good (since the fourth too, the best OST being the third one IMO).
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

· The first eight bars of Star Wars' "Sand People" theme is lifted directly from the beginning of one of the movements in Stravinsky’s "Rite of Spring."

· The theme for E.T. is lifted directly from the final few bars of Dvořák’s "Dumky Trio."

· Home Alone's "We Overslept Again" is from Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker.

· Dvorak’s 9th "New World Symphony, Movement 3" and "Movement 2" = "Duel of Fates" in Star Wars, Episode I and a Jaws theme, respectively

· u.s.w.

All of this, really, is the same thing Akira Yamaoka has been doing and crediting his career with: taking bits of pieces of other peoples' work and pasting his name on it, all the while being called a "musical genius."
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

If you could watch a horror movie without music, or worse, joyful music (say the Benny Hill music), there' s just no way the movie could still scare you.
Horror movies aren't scary at all these days, imo. Even with the right music. However, if they were to have amusing music, I might just get into watching them again. :twisted:

I hope the new composer (Dan Licht or something, right?) does his own thing with the music for SH8. It'll be nice having something new. A fresh set of eye, or rather ears, could really give the series something special. I liked Akira's remixes (seeing as he was using loops and stuff I hesitate to call it music), but something new would be nice for a change.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

I listened to Dvorak’s 9th "New World Symphony, Movement 3" since I really dig "Duel of fates". I hardly call that a copy and paste. He took five notes of it, changed the tempo, added some percussions, a chorus and a some hornets (or whatever it' s called in English). There' s only seven different notes in music (plus the in-betweens, the black keys on a piano), it' s pretty common to hear some note sequences we' ve all already heard elsewhere. Music is like cooking, it' s not just about the ingredients, it' s also about the way you mix them. I' ll listen to the other musics you pointed out, but right know I agree with Verslie :
who on Earth doesn't have influences? It's not the same as stealing entirely. He may have similar melodies but he doesn't totally copy it, he incorporates things that have been done before into his own music, but still puts his own spin on things. [...] you might as well say every single modern orchestral composer is just stealing from classical composers. Or every 00s rock band is just stealing from the 60s rock bands.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I'm saying the comparison is moot because John Williams has been "borrowing" from other composers for decades, just as Akira Yamaoaka has been "borrowing" from sample collections for a decade, and anyone with even an adolescent proficiency in composition and sampling could recreate 90+% of what either J.W. or A.Y. has made.

>There' s only seven different notes in music<
There are only 26 letters in the English alphabet, yet humans are capable of producing an infinite number of sentences without them necessarily being the same—and if they are the same, it's called plagiarism or forgery.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

I' m not sure it' s that easy to make good music, even with good inspiration sources, but I think I get your point to an extent. With modern technology the softwares allowing to make music just by cuting, pasting and pushing buttons are at anyone' s fingertips, there' s no need to know how to play an actual instrument anymore.
Dragonforce1080p
Just Passing Through

Post by Dragonforce1080p »

The Adversary wrote:· The first eight bars of Star Wars' "Sand People" theme is lifted directly from the beginning of one of the movements in Stravinsky’s "Rite of Spring."
All good examples but it's ironic that you mention Stravinsky, hes got a nice little quote. It goes somewhere along the lines of "A good composer does not imitate; he steals." The way I see it, music isn't composed, it's found. Using little pieces of other composers isn't stealing. Kind of a bad example but here it goes: copying little phrases of music from other composers and calling it plagiarism would be like calling a writer a plagiarist for starting his story with Once upon a time.

Patman wrote:I' m not sure it' s that easy to make good music, even with good inspiration sources, but I think I get your point to an extent. With modern technology the softwares allowing to make music just by cuting, pasting and pushing buttons are at anyone' s fingertips, there' s no need to know how to play an actual instrument anymore.
You don't need to play an instrument to write music, but I wouldn't blame it entirely on technology. Making music isn't just pushing buttons and copying and pasting. In fact it's tougher to compose without playing an instrument, no matter how much tech you have. One must know the basics of structure, chords, counterpoints, and other assorted skills. Although, some of yamaokas music is just recordings of machines and looping it with a creepy synth layer on top. Scary as hell don't get me wrong but it is what it is.

Improvising on an instrument until you get something that makes you feel some emotion that you like, is essentially like pushing buttons randomly.

Schuman is a famous composer who played the banjo but wasn't some virtuoso, and very much preferred baseball to music. He just made some epic symphonies.
Last edited by Dragonforce1080p on 04 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.
My VGM inspired pieces :)
♫ youtube.com/terran236 ♪