The Making Of: Silent Hill Shattered Memories

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

The Making Of: Silent Hill Shattered Memories

Post by jdnation »

teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: The Making Of: Silent Hill Shattered Memories

Post by teosoleil »

Dark comedy Silent Hill? Anything goes as long as it's in the "same time and budget?" Jesus, just shows how well Konami thinks about the series.

Brahms PD sounds like an interesting spinoff. The premise seems like a SH plot. Glad to see that the psyche system there and in Cold Heart made its way into SM.

Silent Hill: Cold Heart sounds like the cancelled Winter for Wii. Scavenging in order to survive would have been interesting.

Sam Barlow is a real creative figure it seems. Applause to him and the team prevailing over corporate limitations on creativity.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

It's stories like these that really shine the light on how numbers driven a lot of these decisions and final choices for the games end up being. Way to go for Barlow and company for being able to push as much of their original ideas and visions into the final product as they did.
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find anything.

If anyone reading this is near Glasgow, Scotland- Sam Barlow is giving a talk about storytelling and game design at the CCA on Sauchiehall Street, alongside the writers of Tomb Raider and The Longest Journey. It's on Monday, at 6.30pm, and it's free.

http://www.glasgowfilm.org/festival/wha ... _for_games

I'm really looking forward to this. That interview left me wanting to know more.
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Well, that was pretty fantastic. So, to begin with, my thanks to JD for bringing this one up, because it brings up a lot of the troubled threads that have led us to where we are, today.

And I shouldn't have to spell out "where we are today," because it took an ill-conceived, derivative dungeoneer and a Pay-Per-View cage match to get us here. Really, that Origins was originally conceived as a Scrubs-based comedy (this thing, or some build prior?) is the missing context of something so out-of-ballpark as Book of Memories.

To an extent, it does confirm others' feeling that the Harry, et al, of Shattered Memories were more name-drops (to get around corporate red tape, it seems) than characters conceived to connect strongly to their sources. As far as I'm concerned, it had to be done and I appreciate Barlow doing it, because it gave me one more good Silent Hill game before closing time. Given the narrative presented here, that's more than I should've ever expected.

Yet, having finished reading it and all the iniquities described in it, I can't feel disappointed or angry. It's like I now have a better understanding of what was going on, and the loop is now closed. It's not a bad feeling, really.