Defense and exploration of Shattered Memories

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Made In Heaven
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Made In Heaven »

I am actually looking forward to this game even though it takes away memos maybe they will focus more on Harry Mason then Cheryl in this one although it depends on how much they decided to follow the original game. What if it goes off the bad ending where he actually died in the car but it deviates from that and Harry comes back not knowing that he is dead and still searching for Cheryl?

I know it would contradict SH3 too much and the canon still I am interested in seeing where they go with this I also like the thought that I will have to think twice about leaving the sanctuary of the save room. How are they going to handle boss fights though? Maybe it will be like the fights with Pyramid Head where you try to stay alive until it finally decides to leave and at the end of the game you finally figure out what the hell is going on.

That will be too much like Silent Hill 2 though I guess they could have you kill the bosses with Cybil or Kaffman they both have guns.
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/Irene21121/MIHSIG.png[/img]
Thanks starsail1929 for the awesome sig!
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

They could have teamwork in the case of boss battles, they could make it where they distract the boss while you solve a puzzle or two that release a Trap or Weapon that kills the boss (Like a Guillotine)

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

You mean HArry doing the Scooby/Shaggy role distracting the monster while Cybil traps it? Maybe if she gives him a HArrySnack...
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

I think he meant something more along the lines of Cybil shooting at the monster and dodging its attacks while Harry figures out a way to use the environment to their advantage.

I'm sure most people here remember the Saddler boss fight in Re4 where you had to use construction beams and oil drums to make him fall down. It may be similar to that.
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

If there's no combat can Harry get injured or does he automatically die if caught by the monsters (or can he shake them off if caught)? If he dies instantly or the like, will that mean the removal of the health packs and med drinks? I don't know if I can handle the removal of the map, radio, and health items all in one game!
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

The articles mentioned that you will shake the monsters off, but they said nothing about recovering now that you mention it. Maps and radio can be accessed through the iPhone-like accessory, but I don't see how they can emulate a health item with that. We already know that calling 911 will do us no good.

As an example, SIREN will have you heal over time, so Shattered Memories could use mechanics like that if they wanted to.

The thing is, Climax is being quite ambitious about making the game as real-life as possible. In that case, having health items littered all over town will defeat the purpose.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Reno
Just Passing Through

Post by Reno »

One could argue your wounds closing up faster than Wolverine could ever manage is kinda defeating the purpose too :)
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Self-healing was present in The Room, literally. So it wouldn't be new for the Silent Hill series.

It's interesting though, that Climax seems so intrepid in adding elements from SH4 to this game, such as the first person view. Climax is slowly starting to become my new favorite developer.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

Hopefully they don't implement the con's, I'd hate to have Enemies that would hit you when you were a decent amount of feet away.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Clyde
Just Passing Through

Post by Clyde »

Burning Man wrote: The thing is, Climax is being quite ambitious about making the game as real-life as possible. In that case, having health items littered all over town will defeat the purpose.
Depends. They could just place the health items in more appropriate locations. Rather than pick up health kits laying around the streets, you could find them in bathrooms, hospitals, or other rooms/places where people tend to keep their medical supplies.
Morbid.Marionette
Just Passing Through

Post by Morbid.Marionette »

Clyde wrote:
Burning Man wrote: The thing is, Climax is being quite ambitious about making the game as real-life as possible. In that case, having health items littered all over town will defeat the purpose.
Depends. They could just place the health items in more appropriate locations. Rather than pick up health kits laying around the streets, you could find them in bathrooms, hospitals, or other rooms/places where people tend to keep their medical supplies.
That's a good idea!
I just hope they don't go too Haunting Ground/Clocktower, and give Harry a panic meter.
:C
Miasma
Just Passing Through

Post by Miasma »

Meeks wrote:I'm really thinking it might be like clocktower where you hide in lockers, certain places, that makes you avoid them. and several cutscenes of him knocking out things and using certain items. I find it all interesting because in this game you might just feel so "weak" in the game ^^ much more scarier for me!
This I want to see! To me Clock Tower and Haunting Ground were more "true" survival horror, it was much scarier when all you could do was run away and hide. But if there also was an option that you could have some weapons (not actually things like guns, but stuff you can find from your surroundings) if your profile says so, it would be even better. Therefore it would have more variety.
Behind you.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Clyde wrote:Depends. They could just place the health items in more appropriate locations. Rather than pick up health kits laying around the streets, you could find them in bathrooms, hospitals, or other rooms/places where people tend to keep their medical supplies.
It really doesn't matter where you put them, health drinks and first aid kits don't instantly close up wounds. :?

In any case, they've made no mention so far of an iPhone item menu, which materializes items for Harry's use, so it's safe to say either there are no health items (and, likely, Harry regenerates health over time) or health items are completely stationary and can only be used on the spot.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

The Nintendo Power article mentions that enemies try to freeze Harry to death: "If [the enemies] manage to grab Harry, you have to vigorously shake the Wii Remote and Nunchuck to break free before they freeze him to death"(Steve Thomason 42). So he wouldn't really have any physical "wounds" which need to be mended/healed(except for frostbite perhaps).

Maybe the system works like most recent FPS games, where you don't have a life-bar or "health," but rather the system is based on damage over a short time span. If you get hit too much in too short of a time span you will die, or if you are in an enemy's grasp for too long you will die. Which is essentially a variant of a "regenerating over time" system, but the time span taken into consideration is much shorter.
Jedahaw

Post by Jedahaw »

Maybe they could make Harry throw things at the monsters, but it won't hurt them, just render them unable to move for awhile.
i'd say it would be good to add in a stamina system, similar to Origins, the more he does a certain action, the lesser the stamina, making him run more slowly, but there will be stamina recovering items, but they won't take effect immediately, but instead over a period of time.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Well, I've been sitting this info for a while, I'm actually not sure if this has been posted...but as for defense you can use flares to keep monsters off, though flares do burn out eventually. Creatures will react to heat in a negative way but the more intelligent enemies will hunt you down, talk to other enemies to find you, open doors and climb fences.....So...It's a good thing to know when you don't know what else to do. :p
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

I hope we still have health items... they're an integral part of silent hill to me. I love them showing up in random places as it makes me feel the town is telling me to push forward.

I agree that if we are going for realism, they could be better placed. I don't see why they need to be removed completely though. =/
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Burning Man wrote:The thing is, Climax is being quite ambitious about making the game as real-life as possible. In that case, having health items littered all over town will defeat the purpose.
I do remember hearing that things such as locations, clothing and items, during gameplay, will change but items does seem a little vague. You can't really tell if they mean health items.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
Koshercrackers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Koshercrackers »

Did anyone play Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth? The healing system had you realistically patch wounds. Like, for lacerations, you had to use tourniquets, and for blunt trauma, you used splints and the like. I'd like to see this in SM. I've always been curious how drinking a "nutrient-rich" drink can heal an acid burn...

Oh, and three words: Flares And Gasoline.
dr_worm
Just Passing Through

Post by dr_worm »

all i gotta say after it was all said and done FLIPPIN FANTASTIC!