Reconciling apparent plot holes

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

What I mean is that by having Travis gather the flauros pieces, she is essentially collecting them herself, given that she's hitching a ride in his mind. Alessa is able to activate the flauros as soon as it's completed because she is present, in a manner of speaking. Reconstructing the flauros in and of itself is not enough to unlock it; a force of will is required, probably from someone who has special powers.

Think of it this way: reconstructing the flauros is like putting a key into a lock, and a person exerting some mental or magical command on the flauros is like turning that key. The lock is not opened until the key is turned, it merely has the potential to be opened.

MMY: we don't know exactly when it was written, but the first line of that note: "We are almost ready, but must hurry!" suggests that the Order is preparing for the final ritual that Travis interrupts at the end.

Another bit of important information is that Dahlia worries that Alessa "draws strength from the core I hold." This suggests to me that Travis collecting the flauros pieces may have nothing to do with Dahlia's stated concern. Perhaps the core of the flauros is where the power is actually held, and while it was near Alessa's physical body, she was able to draw some of her power from it.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>suggests that the Order is preparing for the final ritual that Travis interrupts at the end.
The ritual has been in preparation for the entire day, at least. That doesn't mean the note was written sometime while Travis was wandering round the town, and between finding the 4th and 5th pieces.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Fair enough. I was always under the impression that the note was quite recent, but the bottom line is that we can't pin it down with absolute certainty.

I will say this, though: in the message, Dahlia instructs Kaufmann to wrap up whatever he's doing and join her. Since Kaufmann is still with Lisa up until the point Travis finds the note, it's not unreasonable to assume that the doctor only just received the note, and the last thing he's going to do before heading over to the Green Lion is a cute trainee nurse.

But even then, we don't know how much time has passed between the writing of the telegram and its reception. *shrug* Ultimately, I don't think it's all that important. The main point of interest from that message is that Alessa may be drawing power from the core of the flauros, and that explains why Dahlia didn't keep it on her person but chose to leave it "hidden in this darkness." I imagine that explanation is the main—if not only—reason why there's any mention of Alessa regaining a measure of strength. The developers needed an excuse for Dahlia to ditch the flauros piece she was safeguarding.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Eh, 'plot holes' (which you have to search for to find anyway) never really bothered me, I mean Silent Hill was made in 1999 and Silent Hill Origins in 2007, you can't expect them to go hand-in-hand, but Origins does a good job of getting a peak into things going on before the original story.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>'plot holes' (which you have to search for to find anywa
Not all of us.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.