How are the endings comparibly?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Fullofhate87
Just Passing Through

How are the endings comparibly?

Post by Fullofhate87 »

So I've been playing Origins for a little while now, and I'm at the Theater. Up till now Silent Hill 3 has been my favorite Silent Hill game. Even so, I won't lie and say the endings were good in 3.. they downright sucked.

So I was just wondering, no spoilers or anything please, but compared to all the other games, how are the endings in this one?
History is made by those who say "No."
whiter4bbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by whiter4bbit »

Damn, I was going to open an identical topic so I'll attach this to yours :P

Well I could tell you about the default ending (you can read the spoiler, doesn't effectively spoil the ending itself, but someone who didn't yet begin the game could find these info somehow spoilerific):
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The "good" ending you get the first time you play the game.
Since, as you probably already noticed, the game focuses on two subjects (Travis' past and Alessa's story), we must discuss of the two endings:

- The first ending, about Travis, did disappoint me. That's because we don't really learn much about Travis (like, you know, James in SH2), we just learn about his past. Quite about SH4 with Walter's story, the difference is that here we're using a retarded protagonist... think of SH4 with Henry instead of Walter.

- The second ending, about Alessa & co, wasn't that bad. It just fitted, you know. Good quality cutscenes, predictable but not too short ending...
It's just that they didn't go that much inside the old good characters. I expected to learn much more about Lisa, Kaufmann and Dahlia, while in the end I found myself with very little info... That depends on how much do you expect from this point of view.

So, short answer: good ending is good, but final part of the game (of the story itself, call it pre-ending) could have been much better. That's definetely better than SH3's ending in my opinion.

Now, I've got a question about the alternate ending. I'd like to know if it is worth a re-play or if it is just a fuckin' joke like SH3's possessed ending. No spoilers please.
(Major spoilers about SHO story in the sequent spoiler tag)
I'm talking about the "bad ending".
I already know it is more about Travis and the butcher, but...
How much of the story actually changes?
It's just a brief cutscene at the very end (like Possessed), it's the ending itself (defeating Flauros, helping Alessa with Cheril's birth, etc) that changes (like SH1), or is it even more? For instance, happenings in room 500, butcher's fight in the Motel kitchen, ...?
Does this ending affect only Travis' story or even Alessa's?
It's just that I don't have much time to play the game again from the beginnin, but I'm obviously curious about the alternative ending. So if it is just bullshit like Possessed I'll watch it on youtube, while if it is really worth I'll wait and see that in the future.

Many thanks.
[img]http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/7426/room312sig5qn.jpg[/img]

[size=75][b]Along with you died joy.
All that remains is despair and a future of meaningless tomorrows.[/b][/size]
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

The good ending felt like the movie 'Back to the future'. I won't spoil it for ya.

The bad was interesting. Unlike the bad one in SH3, it has more meaning into it. More creepy.

As for the UFO ending, the one in SH3 is a bit more interesting, but still this one has the usual humor and the
"Moon"
theme.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

The good ending was okay, not overly explanatory. The bad ending was good because it kinda explained what his sin was. The joke ending was actually kinda cool.
Life changes daily so go with it!
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

O_o Discussions about the endings are INDEED Spoilers, so.. moved to that section.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.