PSP gameplay?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

PSP gameplay?

Post by LanceS133 »

I havn't played Origins yet and I'm very jealous of everyone posting away and having a jolly good time in the 2 Origins sections :(

But anyway, I was very skeptical about the whole PSP deal with such a small screen and the screen moving around with hand motions so my question to you people who have played it is how is the SH gameplay/experience on such a small screen on the PSP?
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Totally and surprisingly awesome. It's an experience that's isolated into your hands, rather than having an entire room to cause distractions: you can play it in the darkest corner of your house, shut off from All-Things. Lock yourself in a bathroom, in the bathtub, curtain closed, cut off from any noises save the game; hole yourself in a closet, without light.

It can be really superb. I honestly wish all of the games were available for the PSP.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Really? Wow. Someone mentioned before that since it's right in your hands and in front of your face it could be really creepy playing in the dark since there wouldn't be light anywhere else (like from a tv glow). Especially with headphones I'm sure that'd be cool.

That's good to hear tho, thanks.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Silent Pyramid
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Pyramid »

I TOTALLY agree with The Adversary... Sometimes I fill my bathtub with hot water and switch off the light in the bathroom :) and play Silent Hill Origin with headphone in my ears with maximum volume to scare the hell out of me. :shock:

But beware not to drop the psp in the water cuz I almost did when loud sounds occur while playing. :lol:

Well if you don't wanna play on a small screen I heard that people can plug in the psp with the tv to play on the tv...
But i'm not talking about the re-designed psp. I'm talking about the psp we have at this moment... Anyone can explain to me how can I play on tv, please?

thanks alot :D
SonOfSpardaDude
Just Passing Through

Post by SonOfSpardaDude »

Wow, I never would have never thought of the experience like that!
[b][color=Red]The world was a sandbox for Man, made by God. But thou destruction of the world was not of God's, but of Man's desire to ever expand beyond over. And thus we cower within our guilt.[/color][/b]
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

I thought you could only connect the new psp to the tv.
Life changes daily so go with it!
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Well I think that I'd rather just play silent hill Origins on my regular psp. And when I get the money I might consider getting a new psp to play my psp games on. But if there is in fact some kind of adaptor that lets you, hook up your psp to your television that would be great.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

Suprizingly~

the gamplay is really smooth... just when the camra changes it can become annoying sometimes.
oO?
deez
Just Passing Through

Post by deez »

There is an unoficial adapter to the psp thats for the old model that is supposed to work great and got ign's best way to hook your psp to the tv award, for 65 dollars but I think its illegal on this site for me to post a link or give a web name
Im like nike... I just do it
Amazonagent
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Amazonagent »

deez wrote:There is an unoficial adapter to the psp thats for the old model that is supposed to work great and got ign's best way to hook your psp to the tv award, for 65 dollars but I think its illegal on this site for me to post a link or give a web name
You can post a link to it. I believe the device you are talking about was available for retail therefore it's ok to link to it. It doesn't have to be official product to talk about it.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

I'm still struggling a bit with the ergonomics of the device itself -- cramped hands and lost circulation to the fingers, eye strain from staring at its relatively dim and slow-to-respond LCD screen -- so I find my game sessions being shorter and more frequent with this title than with any previous ones. There are a few kinks I'm not terribly crazy about, but the engine runs milky-smooth on the PSP platform, and the sound is great (as long as you follow the pre-game recommendation of donning headphones), so the overall experience transfers just fine.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

For whatever reason the sound on mine is still fucked up occasionally in that oftentimes there will be no footsteps, door-opening sounds, or monster noises. The radio always goes off, and background music is always on, but sometimes nothing else. It was even silent during the dialog between Travis and Lisa at the beginning--that was especially frustrating because I don't play with subtitles.

Anyway know of a way to fix that?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Caliphane
Just Passing Through

Post by Caliphane »

I personally love the gameplay and think this was an awesome addition to the PSP line up. I especially love the camera angles when your in alleyways an stuff. It's like the camera tilts and you just get a really surreal feel from it. I would have to say I am REALLY impressed with this game.
deez
Just Passing Through

Post by deez »

I have the same problem TA when playing through head phones, but mine starts working again when i unplug them, or maybe its vice versa (cant remember). Any way I love the game and heres a link to the psp to tv sight. Its pricey but not as pricey as buying a new one.

http://www.pspontv.com/
Im like nike... I just do it
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

i think it's great that there's something you can play your psp games on your TV. with.. however I wish that it didnt cost soo damn much.. Money's a bit tight for me right now.. but in the future I will look into getting one of those devices.. I just hope that my local retailer has them in stock.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

I'm incredibly impressed with the fact that unlike most developers, Climax made 3D controls on the PSP actually incredibly comfortable. I wish the controls on Metal Gear Portable Ops was this good, that way I'd actually play it. :(
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

The controls in this game were amazingly comfortable not unlike playing the games on the PS2 really, also since its handheld you can set up a room to add to the experience, say a dimly lit room with a fog machine or steam!
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Climax made 3D controls on the PSP actually incredibly comfortable.
They didn't use 3-D controls; it's done entirely with 2-D, which sucks ass.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

The Adversary wrote:For whatever reason the sound on mine is still fucked up occasionally in that oftentimes there will be no footsteps, door-opening sounds, or monster noises. The radio always goes off, and background music is always on, but sometimes nothing else. It was even silent during the dialog between Travis and Lisa at the beginning--that was especially frustrating because I don't play with subtitles.

Anyway know of a way to fix that?
I haven’t run into that particular sound issue yet, but I’ve seen similar glitches. One question: do you have a classic PSP or a new slim one? If you’ve got a new one, there’s an option under “Settings > System Settings” to turn UMD Cache on/off. When on, this essentially doubles the amount of information loaded into the memory at any given access time, so as to load larger chunks less frequently. This technology was introduced somewhere toward the end of the game’s (re)development cycle, and you never know what kind of havoc it could play with sound files if the game weren’t designed to properly take advantage of it. Just something to try -- certainly not a concrete answer. I was able to rectify some misplaced and strange texture mapping by turning the feature off.

>They didn't use 3-D controls; it's done entirely with 2-D, which sucks ass.<

I’m pretty sure they mean the deceptively titled “3-D style” control scheme – forward being an absolute direction in on-screen space, rather than relative to whichever way the character is facing – that’s been an option in previous titles. The PSPs new D-pad is excellent, and I don’t like using the analog nipple for navigation, so I wish they had included at least the ability to opt for the 2D tank-style controls I’ve preferred since the original.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

Lifetolifeless wrote:

>They didn't use 3-D controls; it's done entirely with 2-D, which sucks ass.<

I’m pretty sure they mean the deceptively titled “3-D style” control scheme – forward being an absolute direction in on-screen space, rather than relative to whichever way the character is facing – that’s been an option in previous titles. The PSPs new D-pad is excellent, and I don’t like using the analog nipple for navigation, so I wish they had included at least the ability to opt for the 2D tank-style controls I’ve preferred since the original.
Aye, that's how I meant it. :3